The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Lines At Practice

-Vintage Canuck-

For those of you saying it is just practice...remember the last time when the word came out that raymond was "practicing" on the top line? The next 2 games, raymond was on the top line. Raymond does not deserve to be on the top line, and Higgens is not made out to be a 4th liner. I think Alain days are limited here in Vancouver...and I dont think his line shuffling decisions are the smartest at this point of the season. Alain, being Quebec born will be behind the montreal bench come next season...pending what happens in the playoffs

I don't get this, when Raymond didn't play last game everyone complained that why did AV scratch him after his best game in awhile. Now when AV brings him back everyone complains that he is back in the line up. Make up your mind people!

It’s simple as that. It goes further than that … If I can’t practice, I can’t practice. It is as simple as that. It ain’t about that at all. It’s easy to sum it up if you’re just talking about practice. We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be the franchise player, and we’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that? … Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice man. We’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you’ve seen me play right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about practice right now. … Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about practice man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about practice … How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?”  -  Allen Iverson, May 7th, 2002

None he has put with the Sedins has made much of a difference. The problem with the 1st line IS the Sedins. Split them up and give them a chance to re-think how they play and what they need to do.

They have become clock-killers with their cycling that never generates scoring chances. Like Hank says, "you cant' score in this league without screening and net crashing". So who on that 1st line is going to do that...Dan? Hank? or that monster Burrows? FFS - split them so they have linemates that can do that or put Bitz or Kassian up there for a tryout.

Except against weak defensive teams, the Sedins have been inneffective for the last half of this season. Continuing to stubbornly stick with what hasn't worked all year, is not going to get them out of their funk. Teams are onto how they play and virtually any half-a$$ed team with decent D can neutralize them.

AV is running out of time to find the solution. Watching the post-game videos, this is not a "cruising" team but a confused, dissillusioned and unmotivated group that has no answers to what ails them.

Messing with teh AMEX line, which is the only line that has been consistently effectgive is just stupid! The third line was playing very strong hockey with Burrows on it so he changes that. WTF!! at least we had 2 good lines going, now we will have none.

Don't know what to say about Raymond...even the pundits/analysts that like him, agree he hasn't earned the right to be on the ice.

From what I heard the Lineup for tomorrow will be:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler Booth

Higgins Pahlsson Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre Weise

scratch:kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Salo

Rome questionable (illness)....and/or Tanev/Gurbani

yea lot of fans dont seem to understand that AV is in an experimental mode right now. I would think that with about 5 games left the coach would end this "experimental phase" and start building chemistry and getting the team firing on all cylinders just in time for the playoffs.

Everyone calm down.

For one thing, these are just practice lines. And number two, maybe this is just AV's way of resting players without taking them out of the lineup. You don't know what he's thinking.

And hate on Raymond all you want, but AV realizes that we gotta get this guy going before the playoffs, or we're going to continue to struggle offensively. Yes he's been playing brutal, but if we can somehow snap him out of his funk, he's a 20 goal scorer when he's on. We can't afford to just sit a 20 goal scorer in the pressbox, not when we're struggling to get offense from our first and third lines.

If Raymond can get going on that third line, I see the lineup looking like this:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond/Higgins Kesler Booth

Higgins/Raymond Pahlsson Hansen

Lapierre Malhotra Kassian/Weise

Archived