Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

New Lines At Practice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#91 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah.. just spit up the line that was playing the best hockey out of the rest of the team. And send our most consistent player to the 4th line. Makes sense right?

He's going to be on the third line, and yes it does make sense.

Our third line has done absolutely nothing offensively, other than when Burrows was put there. Hansen needs help to produce.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#92 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Why.Would.AV.Split.Up.The.AMEX.Line
Bloody hell, I've always been an AV fan but some of his decisions of late are really making me wonder...

I've never been an AV fan and I'm not worried in the least.
All teams slump. All of them. This team is no different, and the reasoning behind the slump is not about who plays on what line, but who plays how well/how hard. If it takes shifting lines around to stir the pot, so be it. I can't help but think despite the Canucks recent woes, they are still very much the same team that went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and will very likely turn it on when it counts . . . like they always have.
Why in gods name do people think there is one magical solution when things go a little off the rails, when the game, the team and the league is such a complex and nuanced interwoven system? There isn't one line combination only that will make this team break out of its losing ways. It will take work and perseverance and a little luck to get this engine running on all cylinders again, not one magical line, or combination of lines, coaching change or goaltender change.
It's like herding a bunch of god damned retarded juvenile cats.
Let the coach work out the problem. I can't believe I'm saying this.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#93 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Why don't we do the obvious and split up the Sedins for a few games?  Give them 2 powerforwards each and watch them shrine.

we only have two power forwards on the team Booth and Kasunless you think Burrows and Kesler are power forwards.D.Sedin Kesler BoothBurrows H.Sedin Kascould be worth a try for a game or two, but the Sedins do play better together.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#94 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

those lines just dont make much sense, has AV finally lost his marbles completely?
av tried raymond on the 2nd and it didnt work.
if raymond is back in and kass is out, raymond should be on the 4th line.
im finding it hard to be positive for weds game if this is the line combos...but AV is the coach(i guess?).

You guys are honestly idiots. AV knows what he's doing. He knows Higgins has been our most consistent player and best linemate for Ryan Kesler. He's mixing it because he needs to know what he has in the playoffs in case injuries happen.

We're going to need Raymond to get it together in case one of Booth/Higgins gets hurt. AV knows we need a 4 line attack if we're going to survive a playoff grind. Last year we had no 4th line. We had to lean far too heavily on the top-nine, and they all got hurt. We had no players healthy in the Final last year. AV wants to know if Pahlsson - Lapierre - Hansen can be the checking, grinding line to shut down other teams.

AV is trying all this now, before the playoffs start. Last year when injuries happened to our back end, it was a gong show. Bieksa collapsed because he hadn't played with anyone except Hamhuis. Edler was not effective without a functional Ehrhoff or Salo. He's mixing the lines now so the players are familiar with uncomfortable situations before it is too late.

The games don't matter anymore. He knows that. And what better team to attempt playing a little bit frazzled against than our rivals, the Hawks? It's going to happen in the playoffs. Things won't go our way. AV wants to know if the players can handle these situations.

Edited by mr_therammer, 20 March 2012 - 04:31 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#95 wheeler64

wheeler64

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

AV is an idiot, so many line combo's wrong players, grit n scoring =

Sedins Zack

kes booth bitz

bur phal higgs

weise lappy hansen

with this line up nobody is going to push us around and it add scoring to every line

#96 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

Trouble is....Raymond doesn't have that much wood to spare...whittle him down to fit and your left with a toothpick flying around fast as hell and falling down all over the place..wait...hrm.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#97 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I LIKE THE FIRST AND THIRD LINE

#98 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

K well higgins will spark malhotra and kesler will spark raymond

#99 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sedins historically often get shut down by opposing top lines in the playoffs...why not move them to the second line and arrange the rest of the team like this:

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Pahlsson-Lapierre-Hansen
Malhotra-Weise/Raymond/Kassian/Bitz

#100 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

I don't mind changes to a struggling line-up, my problem is with who is being changed and the poor timing. AV is trying to get some players going but IMO he had plenty of games leading up to our present situation to correct what has been ailing this squad. Time is running out and AV has not done a good job in match-making our forwards and is now leading a struggling team into the playoffs. We should be using these games to perfect some gameplans and tighten up our 'D' instead of playing the shell game with under-performing players who seemed on the brink of finding a little chemistry.

We all now how important motivation is going into the playoffs, I sure hope AV finds a way to make something happen with this team before it's too late.
Posted Image

#101 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Sedins historically often get shut down by opposing top lines in the playoffs...why not move them to the second line and arrange the rest of the team like this:

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Pahlsson-Lapierre-Hansen

"No, kay, they r 2nd line now, k...why you shut them down on 2nd line too?"
Actually in fairness, I think said something similar about Naslund and Bertuzzi, haha. The only way to split the focus off the Sedins no matter what line they are 'on' is to split the sedins. I don't think we will do that.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 20 March 2012 - 05:45 PM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#102 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

FFS AV :picard: You take a struggling forward and put him on the second line, while you take one of our most consistent forwards and stick him on the fourth line???? :picard: Mac T anyone?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#103 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Geez, I can picture AV giggling from the bench now....

Inconsistent lines = Inconsistent play
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#104 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

So we should go into the playoffs with a third line of Malhotra Pahlsson Hansen?

If we do that, then we're a two line team, and if go up against other teams with 3 or 4 lines, we're not going to be able to match them offensively.

You gotta give Raymond the benefit of the doubt here. He's obviously been working his butt off to get back into form, or I doubt the coaching staff would keep giving him chances. The guy had a career threatening injury after all, I think you have to give him the same opportunities as a player like Malhotra.

He was starting to play better last game, and maybe sitting a watching the game gave him a wakeup call. All I'm saying is, you gotta give the guy a chance.

I agree with your sentiment. Mayray does work hard, he's obviously liked by his teammates and mgmt and of course he has overcome a major injury; well at least to be able to fill a roster spot in the NHL.

That being said he has been given every opportunity to succeed for the last two years.

IMO if mg wanted three lines of scoring he would have kept hodgson who was producing more than Raymond - at least have kept hodgson for the run if three offensive lines was the desired strategy. But it's obvious that with the acquisition of phaulsson and to some degree kassian that mgmt is trying to develop a shut down third line. This IMO is to alleviate keslers previous duties as a two way 2nd liner. This allows Kesler to produce more offensively, possibly = a third line consisting of either hodgson or Raymond. Both those players are unproven in the post season and in mayrays case basically ineffectual this year both in point production and in grit.

IMO i could easily see both Raymond and manny scratched for the majority of the playoffs. Unfortunate yes, but most likely necessary unless mayray sees the light in the next ten gsmes
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#105 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

I've never been an AV fan and I'm not worried in the least.
All teams slump. All of them. This team is no different, and the reasoning behind the slump is not about who plays on what line, but who plays how well/how hard. If it takes shifting lines around to stir the pot, so be it. I can't help but think despite the Canucks recent woes, they are still very much the same team that went to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and will very likely turn it on when it counts . . . like they always have.
Why in gods name do people think there is one magical solution when things go a little off the rails, when the game, the team and the league is such a complex and nuanced interwoven system? There isn't one line combination only that will make this team break out of its losing ways. It will take work and perseverance and a little luck to get this engine running on all cylinders again, not one magical line, or combination of lines, coaching change or goaltender change.
It's like herding a bunch of god damned retarded juvenile cats.
Let the coach work out the problem. I can't believe I'm saying this.

I don't agree with your opinion on coach V, Vansicle, but the rest of your post is bang on.

The team is in a slump. It happens. And benching Raymond and putting Kassian on the first is not going to be the magic elixir that fixes all the team's woes.

The entire team has to start playing better...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#106 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image

Trouble is....Raymond doesn't have that much wood to spare...whittle him down to fit and your left with a toothpick flying around fast as hell and falling down all over the place..wait...hrm.

Still coughing up the same old "falling down" crap. Still proving you don't watch the games. By the way, do you even watch other games? Players fall down ALL THE TIME!

In fact the last player I witnessed falling down "unattended" was a Sedin.............but honestly, who gives a sheet...........Its what they do when they are upright that counts.

It's high time most of you guys realise that without Raymond on the team we have a serious problem. Why? because his defence and tenacity is worth 2 Kassians (and I'm not having a dig at the young guy)
When you reach the playoffs you need all the speed you can muster, all the back/forechecking you can scrape up. You need limitless stamina to make up for those with slightly less. That is Mason Raymond.

AV is not persevering with MR because he has a crush on him, he realises that come the playoffs Raymond's defensive skills will be invaluable.............and if he starts to get back on the score sheet he might just make the difference. Without him, as we were in game 7 we will be caught out by counter attacking teams like Boston and StL.

Edited by Bodee, 21 March 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#107 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Maybe Alain is making these type of line ups to piss off many many CDC members.
Alot of members here always question his coaching ability on a game to game basis
it would seem, and he is getting fed up with it.

I actually like how those lines are looking, except for Higgins on the 4th. I would have
liked to see Higgins remain on the 2nd line and be given a chance to play one the
1st powerplay unit with the Sedins.

#108 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

When I saw this on Sportsnet I was just like "Well I'm gonna read about this on CDC soon..."

Posted Image

#109 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Pahlsson-Lapierre-Hansen

LOL that's not the way it works. No matter what team it is, unless the second line severely outperforms the Sedins, the opposition's coach will always stick their number one d-men against the Sedins. You can't just say "hey they're a second line now, so we'll take your second d-pairing". The second line has to become so good that the coach is forced to say "oh hey, we're getting destroyed by this line and the Sedins don't even look good anymore, let's switch it up to prevent this leak."

Posted Image

#110 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

WHAT THE F.... ALAIN!!!!11!!!!1!!!1!!2!!3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

What was the point of getting Kassian if he's not gonna play against top teams like chicago. Higgins to the fourth? Raymond to the second???

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#111 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Our best player in Higgins has been demoted. Raymond has been promoted from pressbox to 2nd line. So we demote our best player and promote arguably one of the worst players on our team.

My lines would be

Sedin-Sedin-Higgins
Burrows-Kesler-Booth
Pahlsson-Lapierre-Hansen
Kassian-Malhotra-Weise/Raymond.

Edit: oh yeah and Kassian might be scratched tom. I dont know why he might be scratched because isn't this the type of game we got him for??

I really like these lines, unfortunately av does not like the obvious.

I would put bitz over weise though.

Ray ferraro also agreed with trying higgins on the 1st.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 21 March 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#112 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,404 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Maybe Alain is making these type of line ups to piss off many many CDC members.
Alot of members here always question his coaching ability on a game to game basis
it would seem, and he is getting fed up with it.

I actually like how those lines are looking, except for Higgins on the 4th. I would have
liked to see Higgins remain on the 2nd line and be given a chance to play one the
1st powerplay unit with the Sedins.

Don't flatter yourself. Coach V doesn't read the comments on CDC and if he did, it would not have a single ounce of influence over his decisions.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#113 MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

MaxLapierreAwesomeFace

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

You guys are honestly idiots. AV knows what he's doing. He knows Higgins has been our most consistent player and best linemate for Ryan Kesler. He's mixing it because he needs to know what he has in the playoffs in case injuries happen.

We're going to need Raymond to get it together in case one of Booth/Higgins gets hurt. AV knows we need a 4 line attack if we're going to survive a playoff grind. Last year we had no 4th line. We had to lean far too heavily on the top-nine, and they all got hurt. We had no players healthy in the Final last year. AV wants to know if Pahlsson - Lapierre - Hansen can be the checking, grinding line to shut down other teams.

AV is trying all this now, before the playoffs start. Last year when injuries happened to our back end, it was a gong show. Bieksa collapsed because he hadn't played with anyone except Hamhuis. Edler was not effective without a functional Ehrhoff or Salo. He's mixing the lines now so the players are familiar with uncomfortable situations before it is too late.

The games don't matter anymore. He knows that. And what better team to attempt playing a little bit frazzled against than our rivals, the Hawks? It's going to happen in the playoffs. Things won't go our way. AV wants to know if the players can handle these situations.

#114 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Is Bieksa out for the game or just taking a maitenance day off today?

#115 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

I believe Bieksa was just out due to some type of illness but is expected to play today.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#116 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, Higgins is up on the 3rd line with Pahlsson and Hansen.

307mg00.jpg

#117 nazzzy19

nazzzy19

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

we talking about practice? practice? not a game.. practice?

#118 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

First off the lines in pracrice usually are not used in games, secondly I do have to agree with alot of people on here regarding Zack not playing!!!! Is this true?
I still believe that Zack with the Sedins would be an awsome line, might as well put them together now to develop som chemistry before the big dance, I mean they can't get much worse then they are now.
So hat does AV have to lose? Zacks size and skill will help the sedins around the net, and because he is big he can stand up for the sedin sisters when they start to cry or get knocked on their cans.
As for the AMEX line if AV messes with that line i think he is just right out to lunch!
The third and fourth lines could easily be jugled right now there is very little productivity comming from those lines at all.
Leave Cory in net for the next three games, give Lou some time to stew and re-compse him self. Lou will be back and better than ever!
CHEERS

#119 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

First off the lines in pracrice usually are not used in games, secondly I do have to agree with alot of people on here regarding Zack not playing!!!! Is this true?
I still believe that Zack with the Sedins would be an awsome line, might as well put them together now to develop som chemistry before the big dance, I mean they can't get much worse then they are now.
So hat does AV have to lose? Zacks size and skill will help the sedins around the net, and because he is big he can stand up for the sedin sisters when they start to cry or get knocked on their cans.
As for the AMEX line if AV messes with that line i think he is just right out to lunch!
The third and fourth lines could easily be jugled right now there is very little productivity comming from those lines at all.
Leave Cory in net for the next three games, give Lou some time to stew and re-compse him self. Lou will be back and better than ever!
CHEERS

Funny, that's the same thing people said when Raymond was playing alongside the Sedins in practice.

#120 dhj89

dhj89

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

you know what, this makes sense to me. Like AV said we NEED Raymond and his speed in the playoffs. Higgins has shown that he can play on any line and I'm sure the "temporary" 4th line will play well with Hiiggins there. It's a matter of trying to get Raymond going. Hopefully he takes a page out of Booth and drive the net more.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.