The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vacation: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Or Mexico?

Monty

My wife and I are both turning 30 in May (a thank you). We are hoping to take an all inclusive trip to either Cuba, Dominican Republic, or Mexico. Having not been to either place, we're not sure which to choose.

For those that have gone to only one of the above, or all three, which would you choose and why?

I been to Cuba and been to Cancun, Mexico. I can tell you right off the bat that if you want to be treated like a king and queen, Cuba is the place you want to be. Due to the fact being Canadian will automatically get you to have a great time, they love us :D However only downfall is the food as it is very bland, so take your own salt and spices etc.

As for Mexico depends where your looking but for Cancun stayed at Sandos and it was beautiful and amazing. The service was excellent and the weather was awesome. Food was great and the sites I got to see there was quite something special.

Dominican Republic, I haven't been but I heard my buddies had a blast going.

Hope this helps.

I've been to Canun 3 times and Punta Cana DR once. Totally different scenes as you probably expect. Cancun is filled with young drunk people (unless you go to a super duper expensive hotel thats filled with old people). Mexico is super fun but its more geared towards the single young college student market. Domincan republic was much more relaxed, family oriented and cleaner environment. The beaches are BEAUTIFUL in Punta Cana (where as the cleanliness of beaches in Cancun depend on what hotel you stay at). I suggest DR for a trip with the wifey. :) Have FUN!

Hotels I suggest in Cancun:

Riu Palace Los Americas

Riu Caribe

Hotel I suggest in Punta Cana

Bahia Principe (Huge 4 hotels in one, you get train rides from one side of the resort to the other)

If you're willing to listen to a 4th, similar option, I'd recommend Jamaica.

I've been to Mexico a number of times, but went to Jamaica in January - totally superior. The people aren't as pushy, the atmosphere more fun, and you can drink the water from the tap. There were four of us, and no one got sick the whole week we were there (I ALWAYS get sick at least once in Mexico).

Haven't been to Cuba, but heard the food isn't very good.

Oh yeah...last recommendation: Are you in Vancouver? Then fly out of Seattle.

Drive down the night before - there are lots of hotels that will let you park for the week there and give you a shuttle to the airport. You save tonnes on airfare (esp with our dollar at par).

Plus, when you get back, you can hit the Seattle Premium Outlets with your car, and a huge duty-free allowance.

Never been to DR or Cuba... but have been to Cancun.

I think I went a few weeks after Spring Break, so it was relatively quiet.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices, although I would recommend to not go all-inclusive. The last thing you want is to be stuck in your hotel resort all-day since you will be disinclined to venture out to explore.

On that note: go Cancun... visit those Mayan ruins and swim in those cenotes.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I've been to Cancun and it was a blast.

* NikiShiz has got it covered but Riu Palace was amazing. It had everything that you'd want on a resort. Affordable too!

I've also been to The Royal (in Cancun). A bit pricey but it was even better than Riu. The rooms were over the top (we had the jacuzzi in the suite, I can't remember but I think that every room has one...) and the views/beaches/room service/food were all good. The Royal has a bit for everyone (partying, romantics, kids, etc.).

Just google it and try to find a good deal.

Hey wouldn't also mind some feedback from those who have been to Cancun, has anyone went in the month of May? Curious since me and some buds might be headed down there for 5 daya during the long weekend and I'm just wondering whether or not it'll be a good time/atmosphere for partying. We're all in University btw.

Hey wouldn't also mind some feedback from those who have been to Cancun, has anyone went in the month of May? Curious since me and some buds might be headed down there for 5 daya during the long weekend and I'm just wondering whether or not it'll be a good time/atmosphere for partying. We're all in University btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to five star resorts at all those places multiple times and I have to go with Cuba. Just make sure you get at least a 4.5 star hotel and you are golden.

Keep in mind that the food and luxury of a hotel in Mexico/Dominican will be of higher quality than Cuba, but Cuba just has that amazing atmosphere and people that you cannot duplicate. Excursions in Cuba are also about 1/4th the cost of what you will pay in Mexico/Dominican.

Mexico - in particular the Caribbean side.

Cancun is beautiful.

I've been to Mexico like 10 times now.

Cuba? Haven't been but my wife went there and said she wouldn't go again - unclean was the main reason...and she just didn't get a good vibe from there.

Domincan Republic? I lived there for 2 years.

Archived