The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis On The Team 3:32 Pm Today N

nuck nit

Not good enough right now,not playing well enough,not enough energy.

Have to get them going before the playoffs.

Times we have been good and not very good this season.

Team may be looking at playoffs.We have played a lot of hockey.

Maybe they are not as interested in these games as they should be.

Look around the league and it is a phenomenon on a lot of teams we like to compare ourselves to.

When teams are out of the playoffs players begin to play for themselves.It is their playoffs right now.

We need to find a solution and find it quickly.

The players have figured out how to play within the historic rules.Now you see players do different things to impede the opposition.It is not just us ,we have to learn to adapt and learn to make it our advantage.

Team can't turn a switch in ten minutes or a game but they will get it together.

It is not easy to motivate ourselves when the games are not important.

We need to deal with it better.

Tough to have our A game out there every night.

I think the Chicago game will be a really good game.

It is tough to go into Minny in March and not have a lot to play for.

We need to get our energy back.

Mason-we are looking for him to relax a little bit and play the way he can,he has not been the player we expect him to be.I would like to see him go inside and take more shots on net.

Twins-PP time taken away from players that skilled and we see the results.Tough for talented players to grind it out game after game after game.

As a league we have to be cognizant of talented players having opportunities to score.

Kas-trade made for a lot of reasons and especially for the future.

I expect him to get more aggressive and stronger.

It has taken him a couple of weeks and he is a lot more relaxed now.

I expect him to be a powerful player in this league.

Edit: threads merged. Here's another summary for you all to read through :)

Team is not good enough right now.

Not enough energy. Need to sort it out before playoffs.

Lots of ebbs and flows this season. Based on the success of last year's playoffs they might be looking ahead a little too much rather than focusing on the games at hand. Not as interested in these games.

Lots of teams that Canucks compare themselves to (Boston, Detroit, San Jose) are going through similar struggles.

When teams are eliminated for playoff contention players start to play for themselves and for pride so they bring their best.

Not worried about the slump

Players have figured out how hook, hold, obstruct, etc. without the refs seeing what's being done so less calls are being made.

Confident that the team will begin to ramp it up shortly and get prepared for the playoffs

It's challenging to play in meaningless games. The team needs to learn how to show up for those games.

When Detroit won the Cup they lost 11 in a row towards the end of that regular season because they were also uninvolved and not enjoying playing in meaningless games.

Thinks the long history between Chi/Van will result in them being geared up for the game tomorrow

Coaches want Raymond to relax a bit and play the game that they know he's capable of playing

He hasn't been the player they want him to be. Could be because of his injury but they see opportunities for him to get back to where he can be.

Lack of PP time has resulted in lower point totals from both Sedins

Sedins are looking forward to the playoffs. Are gearing towards that.

League needs to recognize that goals/game are declining. They need to do whatever they can to give goal scoring opportunities to the players who are scorers

Kassian trade was made with the future in mind. He'll be part of the team's future. Expects that Kassian will get stronger.

Kassian was very nervous about city, media, fans, and all the hype surrounding the trade and the team. Has taken him awhile to get adjusted.

Not a fan of the antics during the NJ/NYR game

Thanks for the summaries. MG is right. The team needs to adapt to the more relaxed/inconsistent officiating and use it to their advantage. Not calling clutch/grabbing? Exploit it. Clutch/grab all night long. Hell, might as well do it in some meaningless games and takes some penalties. Exploit it until they are forced to call them. We will get away with a lot.

The formula is already out there. Refs clearly have a quota of penalites that they're going to call in a game. So if you have a good pk, you can bend the rules all you want and you're only going to be called so many times (As long as they're not obvious infractions).

The only problem is knowing when the refs are going to try and fill that quota. Usually it's either when the game is stale and needs a boost, or when one team is behind and needs help getting back into the game.

Either way, the Canucks just need to play hard and right on the edge, and not worry about the refs. If we take penalties, we take penalties. It shouldn't stop us from playing hard though.

Good interview..MG was taking full responsibility for his teams play of late....he was'nt dodging questions.

Also.he made good points about Kassian,..he's young player.....Too bad that there's already folks on these boards throwing him under the bus.

Gillis obviously realizes what's going on with the team, but I got a hunch that he's okay with it.

He seems to understand how hard it is to get up for mean nothing games against teams like Minnisota.

Tomorrow is a good test for his theory then. Since it's pretty hard to not get up for a hated team like Chicago. Tomorrow night's al about pride. They don't wanna lose to Chicago, I can guarantee that.

Last night was the worst I've seen fom this team in years, maybe all the way back to the final ten games of the 05-06 season when they literally quit on Crow.

I don't know how they go from that to the level needed to win the Cup, but I do know that they are lucky to be such a poor division, or they'd be fighting for their playoff lives like the Sharks.

If I had to put money on it now, I'd say they go out in the first round.

Thanks for the summaries. MG is right. The team needs to adapt to the more relaxed/inconsistent officiating and use it to their advantage. Not calling clutch/grabbing? Exploit it. Clutch/grab all night long. Hell, might as well do it in some meaningless games and takes some penalties. Exploit it until they are forced to call them. We will get away with a lot.

Good interview..MG was taking full responsibility for his teams play of late....he was'nt dodging questions.

Also.he made good points about Kassian,..he's young player.....Too bad that there's already folks on these boards throwing him under the bus.

At least Gillis is owning up. Funny how some fans will make excuses for the team but Canucks brass is calling like it is: The Canucks' current performance is simply not good enough and they're not treating these games down the stretch here as importantly as they should be.

Time for them to get their heads out of their asses and get in consistent form for the playoffs.

Why would a team make a deal for the future when the window is open now? This deal still makes no sense to me. Hodgson was helping this team now. Maybe Kassian will be better in two or three years...but in two or three years, the Sedins will be in their twilight.

Canucks don't need to proove they can beat chicago I don't see why they would try harder against them than minny especially when it's about beating them in the playoffs a win right now against them is just that a win and the 2 pts don't make much dif for us in the long run. If anything I think its a good chance to test our grit and mettle so to speak give our 3rd and 4th line extra ice time and rest our top 2.

Shut up with that "our window is now" garbage. Our window is now AND the foreseeable future. We aren't some garbage bubble team. We are a great team built to be successful year-in and year-out. Guys like Kassian will help us continue our success.

Archived