The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach Vigneault’S Time In Vancouver Is Nearing End

Sully2Cool

It's funny how he always never try what fans want, but uses the oddest combos.

When Kesler was struggling and Hodgson was rolling, he never bumped Cody up and shift Kesler over to the wing just for a quick experiment.

Tanev has some uncanny chemistry with Ballard, yet he uses a Rome/Ballard pairing.

Now the Sedins need a big winger to create space... he uses Mason Raymond.

I'm starting to think that he reads CDC and purposely trolls us, lol.

AV is toying with lines and d-pairs right now in preparation for the playoffs, and the injures that will surely happen.

These games don't matter in the big picture. AV and the team know it is all about the Cup.

He's giving guys a chance to play with different players, in different roles, so when injuries happen it won't be a shock.

People need to relax. AV and the team are on cruise control for the next 10 games. When the games count, this team will deliver.

Tony has been on his replace the coach crusade for a few years now(except when we're winning)...Listening to his 'I know better than the coach' pregame rants is a bit much,he comes across as being an out of touch armchair coach.

I generally enjoy his sarcasm (he is funny)...but the media is a powerful tool.and Tony is clearly stirring the pot.

He should stick to conspiracy theories.

This made my day thanks for the post! It seems like everything I think about was just written by Tony Gallagher lol, and he's correct. I stand by my word since the day AV became coach I didn't like him and never have, and never will. I really don't think he's a good coach, he only looks like a good coach because of the players who play infront of him who win games, which creates a good record and makes AV look a lot better then he is. And to the people who think it's not just the players who play infront of him, well explain why Montreal didn't want him as a coach anymore after 3 years? If he was that good of a coach he would of never lost his job in Montreal, Montreal only could stand him for 3 years and I don't blame them. What's holding this team back is AV.

I don't agree with Gallagher's reasoning, however I would think that AV's time here is likely not much longer, perhaps a season more tops. If the Canucks do not win the Cup this year, then it might just be time to swap coaches at the least. Coaches in any major sport have an expiry date, regardless of how good they are and reach a point where a new outlook and a change is a healthy move. I don't have any hate for AV at all though, just my perspective.

As we've seen since Luongo arrived here, and now with the emergence of Cory Schneider, when your goaltending is out of this world, you look like an amazing coach most of the time. When the goalies aren't superhuman, you're not a good coach...

People say AV is the best coach we've had, and statistically, yes, that is true. But which coaches in team history were given a team so strong? Despite the 94 team making it to game 7, the team was not as deep and powerful as this one. The westcoast express years had strong teams but weren't balanced out by having equally strong goaltending...

No coach in Canucks history has had goaltenders like Luongo and Schneider, coupled with a pair of scoring champions, and a Selke winner, on a roster that was deep in every area. AV has won a lot of games here with the strongest team we've ever had. How would crawford have done had he coached this team instead of the one with Cloutier as the last line of defense?

To be honest, with a team so strong in every area, the stick boy could probably coach this team into the playoffs.

we will find out in the playoffs whether or not av has to go or not. His mistake last year was not starting schneider in game 6 of the stanley cup finals; just like how he started schneider in game 6 vs chicago. this year if luongo has questionable games then schneider has to go in and stay in if he plays well. then in the off season if schneider is traded you cant exactly have a coach and a goalie that arent on the same page AV wont have confidence in luo and luo won't want to play for AV. i think thats when u will see AV fired.

Obviously AV can just play luongo and not worry about his job at all. which is pretty much what i think he is going to do.

You've probably completely forgotten 2007 when AV first came here and we had the likes of Ryan Shannon on the team.It was a mediocre team projected to finish at the bottom of the Western Conference...AV won the Jack Adams award that year....I also think you're over rating the talent on this team,while it is high,other teams have caught up..Any thoughts on who the stick boy that could guide the Canucks to the SC..?

You explain why Mike Babcock coached for 2 years in Anaheim, took them to the finals the first year, was fired after the second year. Why didn't Anaheim want him? I guess by your logic he's a bad coach. I guess no Stanley cup winning "good" coach was ever let go by the first NHL team they ever coached. That's just one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard. Now I don't always agree with AV's decisions, in fact he drives me nuts sometimes, but he's by far the best coach this franchise has ever had. For those suggesting Mctavish (and even Gretzky) as a replacement giver your heads a shake

Will see eventually at the end of this season/playoffs it all depends on how far this team goes in the playoffs, and even at that if they make it to the Finals again and once again are beat because they are outcoached again, just like how it took AV 3 years to finally learn how to coach against the Blackhawks and frankly last year he barely was able to pull that one off to, but he will be canned marked my words. I felt better about our chances with last years team then this years team, so it's going to be that extra hard to get back to the finals, and it will come down to coaching.

Best coach ever just because he has the most wins doesn't make him the best coach ever!

Markus Naslund said he would never play with the Canucks again if Gillis didn't fire AV, well Gillis didn't so Markus was traded, your own Captain of your team is saying he doesn't want to play for your coach, but he's that good I guess.

Trevor Linden who was benched the most ever in his NHL career by AV, when the guy could still play better then Manny Malhotra could, but Manny never get's healthy scratches.

Brendon Morrison was never a fan of AV and didn't like his style.

Why AV doesn't use his younger offensive talent properly, is because he is a defensive coach and always will be. Even though Gillis told him to be a more offensive coach AV just can't be, because he has always been an defensive coach, he never played forward in the NHL so he doesn't know how to be offensive. AV was a Rome in his playing career, and to why he loves Rome so much, and to why he is a defensive coach. AV was never a good player, he was a 3rd line defensemen and thinks this game is all about defense and to why I hate this COACH.

While I don't like AV, what he does is limited. If your players play like they don't care and don't want to perform, it's pretty hard to get your team to win.One could say that the coach needs to motivate these players, but let's be real. At the end of the day it's the players who need to motivate themselves. Don't they want to win?

If they need a speech to get themselves worked up for a game, that's pretty sad.

Archived