The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Henrik Have The Heart Of A Champion?

MJDDawg

In a write-up by Brad Ziemer in the Vancouver Sun yesterday, there were a couple of quotes that stood out to me that could be indicative of deeper issues with this team.

When asked after yesterday's practice in Chicago about the loss in Minny and whether complacency is an issue, Hank's response was -- "Not at all," he said. "That has never been the case."

Hamhuis's response to the same question?

"I would say that (complacency) has probably been our issue in the games we haven't played well," Hamhuis said. "The urgency to win probably isn't as high as it could be and that's probably a direct result of the long season last year and (being) late season this year."

"We are not competing as hard as we can and having some mental lapses and maybe the urgency level isn't as high as it could be," Hamhuis added. "It's always a little harder toward the end of the season when you are not fighting for a playoff spot. But we have important things to play for like home-ice advantage and making sure we put ourselves in a good position heading into the playoffs."

I really have to wonder with the discrepancy in comments whether Hank is truly the leader of this group. His comments after losses seem way out in left field when compared to what we are actually witnessing on the ice on many nights.

Would teammates be looking at comments like his and privately shaking their heads thinking "WTF are you talking about?". Or would they see him as just trying to protect the team?

So maybe the real question is, does Henrik have the heart of a champion?

Does he HATE LOSING enough?

Does he HATE winning by only a goal against much weaker opponents?

Does he want the Cup bad enough that he'll throw a check, stand up for himself, occasionally go into the dirty areas, take shorter shifts, or work harder in the defensive zone?

The answers to these for me are "NO", and his response to the complacency question to me is symptomatic of the bigger issue here. In his position as captain, it means that he's basically telling his team ITS OK...and that don't worry be happy attitude is considered OK by his teammates too.

And maybe that's the real issue with this team right now.

I hope your wrong, but I have thought that on occasion over the past few years. I've always been a huge supporter of the Sedins, I love watching them play and they are extremely talented. But if I was to chose a Captain for this team it would be Ryan Kesler hands down, and if not Kesler then one of the few Canadian born players on this team.

The Sedins are great, but in the playoffs they dont stand up for themselves, which is fine for finess players normally because the other players on the team should be fighting those battles for them, but as the Captain you can not let the other team sit there and rabbit punch you or your line mates in the face.

Your captain should be the player who leads by example in ALL aspects of the game, not just scoring goals.

I hope your wrong, but I have thought that on occasion over the past few years. I've always been a huge supporter of the Sedins, I love watching them play and they are extremely talented. But if I was to chose a Captain for this team it would be Ryan Kesler hands down, and if not Kesler then one of the few Canadian born players on this team.

The Sedins are great, but in the playoffs they dont stand up for themselves, which is fine for finess players normally because the other players on the team should be fighting those battles for them, but as the Captain you can not let the other team sit there and rabbit punch you or your line mates in the face.

Your captain should be the player who leads by example in ALL aspects of the game, not just scoring goals.

Let's just say the 40 goal scorer who was crying after we lost the SCF in my mind will always be the captain of this team.

A letter on your jersey doesn't mean you need it to lead blah blah blah Kesler is better than Henrik deal with it.

How classy would that be to rip the all-important 'C' off of Henrick's sweater and give it to Kesler?

"Sorry, Hank, You're just not the captain we thought you were?"

I know these guys are professional millionaires but give the man some dignity. That type of move would be a slap to the face of Henrick who would not appreciate the embarassment. I can see him putting on his best responsible face and say it doesn't bother him. But deep down it would hurt.

You do this, and you might as well trade them both. Besides, what's stopping Kesler from leading the team anyways? The letter on the front of his sweater? These guys don't care about that little letter and will follow who they want. Don't give me the psychological bs that the players need it.

That being said. I'd really love it if Henrick would show some leadership just once in a playoff game.

I dont see an obvious choice to replace him, Kesler need to mature up a bit i think, little whiny and shows frustration with selfish play. But in a few years i could see it, Bieksa would have to step up major from this year, but again a possibility. Lots of potential in the young group of players and wolves.

What a stupid topic. This guy gives everything for this team, is one game away from winning the cup (sorry I forgot, that was all Kesler) and when the team goes in a mild slump then good old canuck fan piles on about his leadership. You sir need to get your head examined.

Is this the same Kesler that is never around after games to answer when things are going bad? Thought so.

:picard:

The Sedins donated $1.5M to Children's hospital. Don't care what other teams think, or what other people think but at the end of the day players with heart will always be better than those with just skill.

So, i'm going to say, yes. Yes they do have heart to win.

Also, as someone else posted, what they say to the media and their teammates are likely to be hugely different.

How classy would that be to rip the all-important 'C' off of Henrick's sweater and give it to Kesler?

"Sorry, Hank, You're just not the captain we thought you were?"

I know these guys are professional millionaires but give the man some dignity. That type of move would be a slap to the face of Henrick who would not appreciate the embarassment. I can see him putting on his best responsible face and say it doesn't bother him. But deep down it would hurt.

You do this, and you might as well trade them both. Besides, what's stopping Kesler from leading the team anyways? The letter on the front of his sweater? These guys don't care about that little letter and will follow who they want. Don't give me the psychological bs that the players need it.

That being said. I'd really love it if Henrick would show some leadership just once in a playoff game.

The Sedins bring the calming influence on the team and Kesler brings the fire. It's good to have a balance. It's not like having a C makes people ignore how awesome Kesler was in the playoffs last year. He leads by example and doesn't need a C for his teammates/fans/media to notice it. We got to game 7 of the SCF with Henrik as our Captain so he can't be that bad. There are enough leaders on this team where one person doesn't need to hold the room together.

The Sedins are a little snakebit right now having trouble finding the back of the net. Anyone who knows the game understands that getting on the right track takes guts and a whole lot of effort. Work hard on the ice and if you have the skill, you will get rewarded. The Sedins are showing us exactly what you don't do, keep playing the same and maybe something will happen. If somebody asks you "what's up?", you deny deny deny.

From what I have seen from the Sedins the last 11 games is no desire. Henrik, as captain, is not only supposed to own his mistakes but also the mistakes of his team and take it upon himself to right the ship by example. His comments and on-ice attitude make him out to be not only apathetic but a coward in the eyes of his teammates and opponents. He most certainly does not have the heart of a champion.

Edit for those who don't understand hockey but happen to like the Canucks:

Sedins on-ice performance has nothing to do with their philanthropy or good ole kind heartedness. It has everything to do with desire and their skill combined with a team first mentality. They are letting their team down right now and making excuses for it. Damn right they deserve to get ripped on for it and I bet they will get it from the likes of Ryan Kesler, Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen and others who have the desire to win, but just fall short in the skill dept. SOMEONE needs to wake these two up!!

Archived