The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letting Mitchell Walk

Merci

Letting Willie Mitchell walk has been by far Gillis worse decision of all time.

With the playoffs weeks away and we see what our team is about how did he let a 2million dollar top 2 D leave.

He was from BC even

Edit: I like how you're all saying he was a risk and that's why we didn't get him.

Seems like a pretty minimal risk to sign him to see if he can still play, but oh look he walks and is playing great again.

Fact remains worse decision by MG of all time.

The guy doesn't trade Raymond but he let's one of your best D wlak because he had a concussion.

How as that the worst decision? The only reason I would want Mitchell again is so he could cough up the puck late in Game 5 of an intense series while his team is holding onto a 1-0 lead, ultimately leading to the tying goal and a subsequent loss in Overtime.

And I don't want that to happen soooo....

But on a more serious note, Gillis is a great GM. Don't make any more threads.

He's too much of a one-way defensive D to be on the first pairing. The "shutdown" guy here now (Hammer, his younger, improved replacement) is better two-way and can actually contribute offensively, whereas Mitchell contributed only his occasional good poke check and big, awkward slapshot to get the minutes (though he DID lay out Toews :frantic: ) when AV wants to play a two-way game with all of his players.

As mentioned, he's also getting up there in years and salary, and his injury issues are a concern. Sure hope Yann Sauve can become like him with a little more offense, or that MG could sign Grossman for cheap for the 3rd pairing to stabilize things defensively.

Archived