The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Hit Thread

gramowar

I am a Hawks fan and attended the game last night. Here are my unsolicited observations:

Keith's hit was dirty. He should be suspended. I bet it's 3-5 games. His hit was worse than Doan's but he isn't a repeat offender. I am biased like most fans but Keith is not a dirty player. He lost his cool. He should and will pay for it. (That is cold comfort to Canucks fans right now but that is an unfortunate reality. We have been through the same thing with Seabrook, Havlat and Toews.)

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early. I think that's what prompted the loss of cool. Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game. He won't. I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head. Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion. It should at least have been a minor. I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too. All of this preceded Keith's hit. Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit. But you should be objective enough to: (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated. That is a pretty natural human reaction.

There are a lot of really negative and classless things said on here about the Hawks and their fans. If you go on the Hawks' message board, you will see the same sentiments expressed by Hawks fans toward the Canucks and their fans. It's unfortunate on both ends because I think both teams are classy and a lot less dirty than many others in the league. Moreover, the negative stuff tends to define the fan bases when I think the majority of the fans try to be respectful, knowlegdeable and objective.

I am a Hawks fan and attended the game last night. Here are my unsolicited observations:

Keith's hit was dirty. He should be suspended. I bet it's 3-5 games. His hit was worse than Doan's but he isn't a repeat offender. I am biased like most fans but Keith is not a dirty player. He lost his cool. He should and will pay for it. (That is cold comfort to Canucks fans right now but that is an unfortunate reality. We have been through the same thing with Seabrook, Havlat and Toews.)

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early. I think that's what prompted the loss of cool. Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game. He won't. I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head. Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion. It should at least have been a minor. I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too. All of this preceded Keith's hit. Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit. But you should be objective enough to: (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated. That is a pretty natural human reaction.

There are a lot of really negative and classless things said on here about the Hawks and their fans. If you go on the Hawks' message board, you will see the same sentiments expressed by Hawks fans toward the Canucks and their fans. It's unfortunate on both ends because I think both teams are classy and a lot less dirty than many others in the league. Moreover, the negative stuff tends to define the fan bases when I think the majority of the fans try to be respectful, knowlegdeable and objective.

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early.  I think that's what prompted the loss of cool.  Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty.  He should get a game.  He won't.  I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head.  Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion.  It should at least have been a minor.  I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too.  All of this preceded Keith's hit.  Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit.  But you should be objective enough to:  (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated.  That is a pretty natural human reaction.  

Stupid Chicago fans calling for 1 game suspension for the Daniel Sedin hit on Keith, a hit that is put on the Sedins on a nightly basis with impunity. Should be 15 game suspension if the NHL was actually serious about taking this type of play out of the game. Its a phone hearing so it will be 5.

Stupid Chicago fans calling for 1 game suspension for the Daniel Sedin hit on Keith, a hit that is put on the Sedins on a nightly basis with impunity. Should be 15 game suspension if the NHL was actually serious about taking this type of play out of the game. Its a phone hearing so it will be 5.

Ok. lets review the facts.

1) the hit was clearly dirty.

2) there was intent to injure.

3) both of the above were planned well in advance of the act.

Result = Suspension. The 3rd point being the most important here and therefore the length should be extreme do to that fact.

What should happen. Gone till the playoffs. Minimum.

Now. Lets take into consideration NHL reality.

1) player being reviewed has some noticable star power. CHECK

2) player being reviewed plays for a team which gets more favourable calls on and off the ice. CHECK

3) because of fact 2. Player did not get in game eviction as he most certainly should have. This makes it harder for the league to give a signifcant suspension even though it is warranted.

Result

He might get 2 or 3 games.

Hey, it could be worse. Hey could play for Boston. In which case he might maybe get 1 game.

It is sad but true. Not all players in the NHL get equal treatment by the officials or the league. If you happen to wear certain jerseys you can half kill somebody and get little or no punishment for it. The worst part of this is. i actually believe this statement about the game I love so much. I have seen far too much proof that this is exactly the case.

Didn't Wisniewski get 8 games for an ugly elbow to Cal Clutterbuck? IN THE PRESEASON?!

This looked just as bad or worse to me. I don't know what has happened to the standard but it seems to change with who the offender is and whether Shanahan likes the player or not.

Honestly imagine if this hit was on Crosby with his head injury history. Seriously think about it. Do you think anyone would be satisfied with a suspension less than 10 games for a deliberate elbow to the head of Crosby?

But, oh it just Daniel Sedin. He's Swedish. He's not tough anyway. Or maybe he's embellishing. Or maybe we just like Keith better anyway because he's Canadian

Not wearing a tin foil hat here, but the unconscious judgements that run through the heads of Shanny and his crew WILL play a factor in whatever suspension is handed down.

This year it seems like the Sedin's (especially Hank) have shown a level of frustration for media criticism, physical targetting on the ice with little protection despite clear rules, and league refereeing. I really wonder if they are frustrated with the NHL and North American Hockey altogether.

And I don't blame them a bit.

Archived