Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Keith Hit Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
458 replies to this topic

#361 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I am a Hawks fan and attended the game last night. Here are my unsolicited observations:

Keith's hit was dirty. He should be suspended. I bet it's 3-5 games. His hit was worse than Doan's but he isn't a repeat offender. I am biased like most fans but Keith is not a dirty player. He lost his cool. He should and will pay for it. (That is cold comfort to Canucks fans right now but that is an unfortunate reality. We have been through the same thing with Seabrook, Havlat and Toews.)

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early. I think that's what prompted the loss of cool. Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game. He won't. I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head. Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion. It should at least have been a minor. I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too. All of this preceded Keith's hit. Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit. But you should be objective enough to: (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated. That is a pretty natural human reaction.

There are a lot of really negative and classless things said on here about the Hawks and their fans. If you go on the Hawks' message board, you will see the same sentiments expressed by Hawks fans toward the Canucks and their fans. It's unfortunate on both ends because I think both teams are classy and a lot less dirty than many others in the league. Moreover, the negative stuff tends to define the fan bases when I think the majority of the fans try to be respectful, knowlegdeable and objective.

Look at the post above yours. Keith has pulled this kind of crap before but he just hasn't been caught by the league.

As for Daniel's hit, he probably should've gotten at least a 2 min. penalty but nothing more. Daniel came in, arm tucked against his body while Keith was too busy admiring his pass and he was leaning slightly forward which was why Daniel's shoulder contacted his head. Now I'm not excusing what Daniel did but his arm was tucked against his body while Keith went hunting for Daniel's head.

Edited by WZRD, 22 March 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#362 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

DP

Edited by WZRD, 22 March 2012 - 03:15 PM.

Posted Image

#363 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I am a Hawks fan and attended the game last night. Here are my unsolicited observations:

Keith's hit was dirty. He should be suspended. I bet it's 3-5 games. His hit was worse than Doan's but he isn't a repeat offender. I am biased like most fans but Keith is not a dirty player. He lost his cool. He should and will pay for it. (That is cold comfort to Canucks fans right now but that is an unfortunate reality. We have been through the same thing with Seabrook, Havlat and Toews.)

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early. I think that's what prompted the loss of cool. Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game. He won't. I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head. Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion. It should at least have been a minor. I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too. All of this preceded Keith's hit. Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit. But you should be objective enough to: (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated. That is a pretty natural human reaction.

There are a lot of really negative and classless things said on here about the Hawks and their fans. If you go on the Hawks' message board, you will see the same sentiments expressed by Hawks fans toward the Canucks and their fans. It's unfortunate on both ends because I think both teams are classy and a lot less dirty than many others in the league. Moreover, the negative stuff tends to define the fan bases when I think the majority of the fans try to be respectful, knowlegdeable and objective.

He might have not be suspended in the past but by looking at those youtube vids above your post clearly show he has a active elbow that should have lead to suspensions in all 3 of those videos and shows how pathetic the NHL has been in the past by ignoring it
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#364 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

The Canucks escalated the chippy play early.  I think that's what prompted the loss of cool.  Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty.  He should get a game.  He won't.  I'm not going to fall apart like a wet-eyed drama queen about it but he was way late and went for the head.  Edler's hit on Shaw was dirty in my opinion.  It should at least have been a minor.  I think there was a punch thrown at Kane, too.  All of this preceded Keith's hit.  Again, that doesn't justify a dirty hit.  But you should be objective enough to:  (a) recognize that the Canucks weren't lily white; and ( B) avoid professing surprise that things escalated.  That is a pretty natural human reaction.  

This is all pretty much true - except maybe Sedin's hit warrantying suspension.

For weeks I've been watching the Canucks hold back the intensity level, to save themselves up for the playoffs. The whole time I've been hearing fans and media complaining that they have to ramp it up, throw hits, get into games.

Well...this is exactly what can happen when you turn up the intensity. Things can get out of hand, and you lose key players. It's OK - in fact, necessary - during the playoffs. But this was pretty much a meaningless game, and we paid dearly for it.

That's part of why I repeatedly said the Canucks should keep holding back until the last few games of the season, and only then to get their gameface on. It may not be as entertaining, and may look worrisome to some people, but if Daniel is out for the playoffs, it certainly would have been the SMART thing to do.
Posted Image

#365 raymond5

raymond5

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I hope that Keith gets suspended for a few games but did you guys herethat Keith told Daniel before that hit that he was going to go after him.

#366 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Soooo.... any word from the NHL on a hearing? It's usually quicker than this, isn't it?

#367 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Friday. 11PT.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#368 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

So the Canucks 'escalated' the chippy play it but didn't 'initiate' it, is that what you're saying? Because if so, were we to turn the other cheek yet again and let your team walk all over us, AGAIN???? Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, your fans laugh at us and call us pansies because we don't stick up for ourselves so we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Sorry, youtube vids tell a different story on your boy's history with cheap dirty elbows and it doesn't mean a thing whether he's been suspended for them or not, they're still history and they're still dirty and he's a repeat offender. The evidence is there in living colour video.

Daniel's hit was 2 minutes at most, head contact was incidental to the legit hit that was applied. Yes, there could have been a penalty assessed, but there wasn't. If you have an issue with THAT, take it up with the officials who should have called the penalty if they deemed it to be one. The comment directed at Daniel by your boy was a clear indication that the high flying elbow was deliberate with intent to injure.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 22 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#369 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Daniel Sedin's hit was dirty. He should get a game.

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#370 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

good on ya mate for having the balls to get on these boards and say something reasonable about the incident. like other fans i was furious last night and wanted blood but where does that get you . i really do hope the league punishes keith severely , players who target the head and deliberately set out to injure suck and deserve a punishment that at the very least makes them think twice before they do it again .you are right about the fan bases , most people are reasonable and respectful , but there always are the lunatic few that want to incite hatred , this is one of the biggest problems we face as a world . power to the peacemakers .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#371 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,079 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Phone hearing indicates a pretty open-and-shut 5 gamer. I can live with that.

aXmDa9t.gif

#372 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Stupid Chicago fans calling for 1 game suspension for the Daniel Sedin hit on Keith, a hit that is put on the Sedins on a nightly basis with impunity. Should be 15 game suspension if the NHL was actually serious about taking this type of play out of the game. Its a phone hearing so it will be 5.

#373 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

:lol: Don'tcha just love it? Really needed a good laugh today!

#374 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Stupid Chicago fans calling for 1 game suspension for the Daniel Sedin hit on Keith, a hit that is put on the Sedins on a nightly basis with impunity. Should be 15 game suspension if the NHL was actually serious about taking this type of play out of the game. Its a phone hearing so it will be 5.

It's not just 'stupid' Chicago fans, Kerry Fraser mentioned this in his blog/write up as well.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391084
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#375 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

It's not just 'stupid' Chicago fans, Kerry Fraser mentioned this in his blog/write up as well.

All he says there is a 2 minute minor, which I dont disagree with. He does make some vague comment like "should be reviewed and dealt with" which sounds more like an attempt to make the article a little less one sided against the Hawks. If you think that Daniel hit deserves a suspension I don't even want to debate because you are irrational in my opinion. Nevermind he does say he hopes Daniel recieves a 1 game suspension, well there goes any respect I had for Kerry Frasers opinion.

Edited by Kesler_smash, 22 March 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#376 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,079 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

He's saying that because a 1-game suspension is completely meaningless at this stage. Daniel Sedin with repeat offender status is not a very troubling prospect. I wouldn't be that surprised if they fined Daniel over his hit just to lay a hard line but giving him a 1-game suspension when he'll have already sat his 1-game before it's handed down (and is probably sitting most of the rest of the regular season) is a bit redundant.

aXmDa9t.gif

#377 StanleyCup=HolyGrail

StanleyCup=HolyGrail

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Ok. lets review the facts.
1) the hit was clearly dirty.
2) there was intent to injure.
3) both of the above were planned well in advance of the act.

Result = Suspension. The 3rd point being the most important here and therefore the length should be extreme do to that fact.
What should happen. Gone till the playoffs. Minimum.

Now. Lets take into consideration NHL reality.
1) player being reviewed has some noticable star power. CHECK
2) player being reviewed plays for a team which gets more favourable calls on and off the ice. CHECK
3) because of fact 2. Player did not get in game eviction as he most certainly should have. This makes it harder for the league to give a signifcant suspension even though it is warranted.

Result
He might get 2 or 3 games.

Hey, it could be worse. Hey could play for Boston. In which case he might maybe get 1 game.

It is sad but true. Not all players in the NHL get equal treatment by the officials or the league. If you happen to wear certain jerseys you can half kill somebody and get little or no punishment for it. The worst part of this is. i actually believe this statement about the game I love so much. I have seen far too much proof that this is exactly the case.
Shootouts are entertaining but they are not worth points!!!

Posted Image

#378 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

The first time since I can remember that Daniel finishes a check, he's bound to be a bit rusty. I may be bias but I didn't think the Daniel hit was as egregious as some are saying. He definately hit Keiths head but I do not believe it was targeted with any intent to injure....I do believe Keith corroborated that story(maybe with his own agenda in mind though?)

As for Keiths hit.....to me that is WAY worse than what Rome did to Horton in the finals. And Romes hit warranted a record breaking suspension in the SCF. And don't they say playoff suspensions are double that of regular season suspensions? This 5 or under crap is complete BS, in my opinion.
Posted Image

#379 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

So, oh wise and great oily one, do you agree with Chicago fans on this one? Didn't see many remarks from you about this until now?

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#380 youngdad

youngdad

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Didn't Wisniewski get 8 games for an ugly elbow to Cal Clutterbuck? IN THE PRESEASON?!
This looked just as bad or worse to me. I don't know what has happened to the standard but it seems to change with who the offender is and whether Shanahan likes the player or not.

Honestly imagine if this hit was on Crosby with his head injury history. Seriously think about it. Do you think anyone would be satisfied with a suspension less than 10 games for a deliberate elbow to the head of Crosby?

But, oh it just Daniel Sedin. He's Swedish. He's not tough anyway. Or maybe he's embellishing. Or maybe we just like Keith better anyway because he's Canadian

Not wearing a tin foil hat here, but the unconscious judgements that run through the heads of Shanny and his crew WILL play a factor in whatever suspension is handed down.

This year it seems like the Sedin's (especially Hank) have shown a level of frustration for media criticism, physical targetting on the ice with little protection despite clear rules, and league refereeing. I really wonder if they are frustrated with the NHL and North American Hockey altogether.

And I don't blame them a bit.

#381 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

^^^^^ well said. I really really have a hard time believing it would be 5 games or under had Crosby been on the recieving end of Keiths elbow.
Posted Image

#382 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Ignore.

Edited by Stick-in-Rink, 22 March 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#383 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Kypreos: Hearing tonite #NHL has in fact decided to ask #Blackhawks D. Keith to waive his right to in person hearing for elbow on #Canucks D. Sedin. Meaning Keith could receive 5 or more games. Also told his #NHL hearing could be pushed back much later then the one scheduled for Fri 2pm.

#384 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Kypreos: Hearing tonite #NHL has in fact decided to ask #Blackhawks D. Keith to waive his right to in person hearing for elbow on #Canucks D. Sedin. Meaning Keith could receive 5 or more games. Also told his #NHL hearing could be pushed back much later then the one scheduled for Fri 2pm.

Dare we get our hopes up? Hopefully this means more than 5 games! ::D

#385 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,107 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Probably is. MacKenzie was saying yesterday if it's a call it can't be more than 5 games. If he's going to see the NHL it's most likely more. I wonder why they're pushing it back though. Suspend him indefinitely for the time that Sedin is out and when he can return + 5 games on to that.

That's how you take headshots out of the game.

Edited by The Kassassin Train, 22 March 2012 - 09:13 PM.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#386 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

It doesn't make sense for Shanny to ask him to waive if he's not going to give him more than 5 games. So a long suspension seems probable for Keith.

#387 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

I hope it's 10+ (not getting my hopes up though)

The intent to injure/retaliation and such a clear headshot with no puck contact..... it's brutal.

It's really gut check time for the NHL to see if they can defend their star players.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#388 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Probably is. MacKenzie was saying yesterday if it's a call it can't be more than 5 games. If he's going to see the NHL it's most likely more. I wonder why they're pushing it back though. Suspend him indefinitely for the time that Sedin is out and when he can return + 5 games on to that.

That's how you take headshots out of the game.

Well at this point he has been suspended indefinitely, good start if you ask me.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#389 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

I bet dollars to bungholes their waiting to see how badly injured Sedin is before deciding the length of suspension !

Edited by Hockey Fever, 22 March 2012 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#390 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

with NFL recently saying loud and clear that player safety and the integrity of the game are paramount, i'd like to see the NHL atleast match them, but im probably getting my hopes up. still, they don't want to be singled out as the one sport outside of prize fighting that isn't serious about it.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.