The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin Injury Thread

jonnycanuck46

Personally, I think they are some of the best players in the league and some of the most kind hearted players out there. However, that won't cut it in the league today. If you don't stand up for yourself, you get targeted. If you don't think the Sedins' are being targeted because they don't stand up for themselves, you need a reality check because you are being way to biased.

yes we have to disagree because I do find Sedins need to take some responsibility because if you don't stand up for yourself, you will be targeted. It is not the responsibility for the management to get a player to defend them. If you still disagree, i'd love to hear why you think Gillis should get a body guard for his superstars when no other team's have to deal with that type of nonsense.

Time to come together and play for each other. Could very well be a broken jaw and be out 4-6 weeks. That's rolling into the first week of may. In the midst of a second round rematch with the Hawks. If I'm Dale Weisse, I would have fed him a solid right hand last night. I would have taken the suspension and asked Hank to pay my loss wages.

I was with your general argument until you started calling out the Sedins for not "standing up" for themselves.

Hockey is a tough sport, tough players target the best skilled players in order to stop them, the Sedins are a couple of the best skilled players in the NHL -> ergo ... the Sedins will be targeted by many players in the NHL and there is nothing in the world that can stop that.

People have to grow up and accept reality sometime.

put Danny on the LTIR and get Ballard back in

Keith will get 4 games.

Bourque got 5 games when he hit Backstrom. It wasn't as bad, but Borque was a repeat offender.

As for the game.

Lu looked good

2nd period was a bust because of all the penalties. Best way to make a team pay is by scoring. However, I did like the Canucks response to going after Keith and making sure he knows that that s**t won't stand. Keith is a chicken s**t for not fighting.

Mason had a good bounce back game and looks like he knows what he has to do to be successful.

Bieksa needs work...he just needs to get out of this funk.

Yes because if that happened to them they would have semenko pounding his face.

Crosby does but people speculate thats a cause of his concussions. He gets involved and players target him....

For datysuk i dont see him doing any of that.

He was clearly trying to get his team an advantage by making Marchand take a penalty. There 100% should have been a penalty called if the ref was the least bit competent.

Judging by how that series was called, if Sedin punched him back then he would have been heading to the box.

Yes, good players get targeted but i think its fair to say the sedins get targeted more than any other superstar in the league. Name a couple other players that get treated as badly as the Sedins. There has to be a reason for that and I stand by the theory that they get pushed around more because they don't stand up for themselves as much.

IAt least we agree on that the fact superstars are targeted. Too many people make the excuses " ohh well the Sedins came to play hockey, not a boxing match". It's just the way hockey is and will be. If players can't match superstar skills, they will target them.

So once again, in no way could have D Sedin avoided the hit last night however, in general, I find Sedins get targeted a lot more than the Datysuks, Giroux, and Malkins because of their lack of retaliation

Yeah ok that I can agree with that somewhat. Maybe they do get targeted a bit more than say Datsyuk but I'm not even sure about that. When you're a skilled player in hockey you most likely spend all game getting out of tight spots and taking shots after the whislte. One is the hunter and the other the hunted. It's just how the Sedins deal with it that's different.

The Sedins are tough guys, they understand the stakes and accept that they are going to take some abuse for being good players. Some guys respond by trash talking, pushing, or blowing up their chests like a frightened animal. It seems to me that the Sedin's are just bored with that little game within the game and are usually just putting up with the crap until they can get back to the real game. In all honesty I don't think Giroux gets off easier because he is some kind of hero that goes around fighting tougher players. I think it may just be us fans who have this twisted perception. Also, because there are two of them it's easy to also easier for fans and players alike to lump them into one category and perhpas blow it out of proportion.

They may get targeted a bit more but I don't think enough to make that big of a difference. It's just something all good players have to fight through.

No suspension will be just (ie if they gave him 10 games it wouldn't matter that much).

This dirty wanker elbowed Danny right in the head on a play where he DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH THE PUCK and took him out almost guaranteed for the rest of the regular season, maybe the playoffs (basically GREATLY hindering any chance we have at a good run), and maybe a prolonged concussion.

It would be easier to swallow if the NHL didn't say they were cracking down on this crap all year. It will likely show there is absolutely NO reason to not go out and try to injure a teams best player.

yes, but that is just one instance of many of them not retaliating. Maybe it was a clever move my Sedin to try and draw a penalty but there is not many players in the league that would choose to try and draw a penalty over standing up or themselves to a rat hitting them in the face. Also, not standing up for himself does not help motivate the team and does not help his reputation around the league.

All I am saying is superstars will get targeted, hence the Sedins being targeted. However as to why they get targeted more than others is because they have built a reputation of not standing up for themselves.

I'm sorry but this is the NHL. To play in the NHL, you need skill AND toughness. Just because the Sedins lack toughness, it doesn't make gillis responsible for them and should build a team of mammoths to protect our precious Sedins.

Hockey is hockey, if the Sedins choose not to be physical, they will have to deal with unjustified cheapshots like we saw last night.

EDIT: So don't make accusations at Gillis, this relies on the responsibility of the Sedins.

Archived