The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tougher And Better Then Last Year?

Erik Karlsson

So the Canucks have a label on them as being soft, MG trades Hodgson and gets Kassian for some toughness. We've lost our scoring depth now, Daniel Sedin to a concussion most likely, and oh yeah, this team isn't any tougher. They are the exact same team as last year, they get thrown off their game and they think facewashing and little scrums makes them tough. Kassian is looking good but him and Lappy can't be depended to wear out the other team and provide toughness. Weise is not tough, and Bieksa can't throw a hit anymore, there isn't much fighting in the playoffs...

Kassian isn't ready to produce offensively yet, so where is our offense going to come from? Sedins will be less effective then last year in the playoffs, I gaurantee you. Kesler is not looking close to his old form and he carried us through the 2nd round last year.

Everyones been saying Hodgson who, he's a bust etc, because he had 0 points in 10 games, don't forget he was learning a new system, had a crazy scheduele before and after the deadline and getting used to a new team in a new country. His team is on a winning streak since they've aqcuired him and might make the playoffs. He has 4 points in his last 2 games and was a difference maker on the Canucks, especially when they were big games. Canucks had an advantage going into the playoffs with him because now they could finally have 3 scoring lines. Guess what happened when we traded Hodgson? We are now a 2 line team and it shows, Sedins can't generate anything being our main scoring threat and the 2nd line is not going to carry us through the playoffs.

Pahlsson was brought in to replace Hodgson? I would way rather have Hodgson, head and shoulders better offensively. Sure Pahlsson is better defensively and at faceoffs, but all I've seen from Pahlsson is his line getting pinned in their own end and him losing a whole lot of important defensive faceoffs, he is no Manny.

The biggest thing MG missed was getting a top 4 d-man at the deadline, Our offense was fine at the time and Kassian on the 4th line isn't going to provide that much more toughness for us in the playoffs. Our defense looks horrible and Bieksa is not a top paring d-man, how can AV not figure this out? Hopefully Ballard returning will help get them back to form, but I doubt it.

I just don't see this team winning it this year, unless Sedins, Kesler and the defense completely step it up in the playoffs, and AV actually doesn't get outcoached every series.

Not sure why so many people think that we are less skilled.

Booth wasn't here last season, he's here now. Hodgson was not a regular. Edler stepped up for Ehrhoff's point production. Ehrhoff wasn't exactly the best defensively. We lost Samuelsson who wasn't around for the playoff run. Torres wasn't exactly the most skilled player.

We added some grit. The only thing the team really needed was a good d man.

Guest Dasein

Difficult to gage because of the level of play of our core players have changed.

Had the core stayed the same in terms of skill level, our team would have definitely been better.

But here's the part that muddles that idea: Daniel goes from a 100+ point player to maybe 80 points. Henrik goes from 90+ to maybe 80. Kesler, though he had to struggle with injuries, goes from 40+ goals to 20+ goals.

The only positive out of the core is Luongo, who got better than last season (though his stats don't reflect it).

So it's really unclear - we won't know until we hit the playoffs and see how the team responds when the games matter. If the Sedins produce at the same pace as they did last year in the playoffs, and Kesler does as well, we are definitely a better team. However, if the Sedins and Kesler continue to struggle, then it is a coin toss - the current team is much better defensively, but a bit off offensively.

They say defense wins championships, and the past winners have been indicative of that notion - so that's a positive. But just to be sure, let's hope that this team hasn't lost its offensive touch, because it always helps when you can put the puck in the other team's net.

So the Canucks have a label on them as being soft, MG trades Hodgson and gets Kassian for some toughness. We've lost our scoring depth now, Daniel Sedin to a concussion most likely, and oh yeah, this team isn't any tougher. They are the exact same team as last year, they get thrown off their game and they think facewashing and little scrums makes them tough. Kassian is looking good but him and Lappy can't be depended to wear out the other team and provide toughness. Weise is not tough, and Bieksa can't throw a hit anymore, there isn't much fighting in the playoffs...

Kassian isn't ready to produce offensively yet, so where is our offense going to come from? Sedins will be less effective then last year in the playoffs, I gaurantee you. Kesler is not looking close to his old form and he carried us through the 2nd round last year.

Everyones been saying Hodgson who, he's a bust etc, because he had 0 points in 10 games, don't forget he was learning a new system, had a crazy scheduele before and after the deadline and getting used to a new team in a new continent. His team is on a winning streak since they've aqcuired him and might make the playoffs. He has 4 points in his last 2 games and was a difference maker on the Canucks, especially when they were big games. Canucks had an advantage going into the playoffs with him because now they could finally have 3 scoring lines. Guess what happened when we traded Hodgson? We are now a 2 line team and it shows, Sedins can't generate anything being our main scoring threat and the 2nd line is not going to carry us through the playoffs.

Pahlsson was brought in to replace Hodgson? I would way rather have Hodgson, head and shoulders better offensively. Sure Pahlsson is better defensively and at faceoffs, but all I've seen from Pahlsson is his line getting pinned in their own end and him losing a whole lot of important defensive faceoffs, he is no Manny.

The biggest thing MG missed was getting a top 4 d-man at the deadline, Our offense was fine at the time and Kassian on the 4th line isn't going to provide that much more toughness for us in the playoffs. Our defense looks horrible and Bieksa is not a top paring d-man, how can AV not figure this out? Hopefully Ballard returning will help get them back to form, but I doubt it.

I just don't see this team winning it this year, unless Sedins, Kesler and the defense completely step it up in the playoffs, and AV actually doesn't get outcoached every series.

Guest Dasein

Keep in mind Kassian is still young enough to be playing junior. This kid is a good one. He has a big upside, give it time.

Difficult to gage because of the level of play of our core players have changed.

Had the core stayed the same in terms of skill level, our team would have definitely been better.

But here's the part that muddles that idea: Daniel goes from a 100+ point player to maybe 80 points. Henrik goes from 90+ to maybe 80. Kesler, though he had to struggle with injuries, goes from 40+ goals to 20+ goals.

The only positive out of the core is Luongo, who got better than last season (though his stats don't reflect it).

So it's really unclear - we won't know until we hit the playoffs and see how the team responds when the games matter. If the Sedins produce at the same pace as they did last year in the playoffs, and Kesler does as well, we are definitely a better team. However, if the Sedins and Kesler continue to struggle, then it is a coin toss - the current team is much better defensively, but a bit off offensively.

They say defense wins championships, and the past winners have been indicative of that notion - so that's a positive. But just to be sure, let's hope that this team hasn't lost its offensive touch, because it always helps when you can put the puck in the other team's net.

lappy was amazing at wearing down opponents last year av even said he shut down crosby. kassian adds alot of toughness and weise there will be alot of scrums. I dont expect them to get points but i do expect them to throw there body and get in the opposing teams face.

This team is missing something that's for sure. Having two scoring lines really shows and all the teams out there know that and that's why they will all go for thine of our top six.

Unfortunately we're a very thin team now and no backup if anything fails. Really bad part is that the top lines are struggling. Went from having a potent pp to barely putting absent on the opposing goalie with the rare goals.

Top two lines are not producing and its going to be interesting if Daniel is out for a while... Unfortunately nobody to replace him in any way.

Also kassian will be a big factor but not now, it will take time and more NHL experience and some more team polish to make it all work.

For the past few months AV is having a tough time and it shows. Hopefully I'm wrong and the team goes all the way.

The problem is not whether if we are tougher, or better, or worse than last years playoffs, it's that so many teams have gotten MUCH better since last years, and there are more teams to worry about this time around. Going into last years playoffs we didn't fear any team, there was no doubt in our mind we could beat any body we went up against, Boston was really the only big question mark because of their spectacular goaltending.

But you look at this year's potential playoff opponants compared to last years, it's a much scarier lanscpape out there. You've got worry about Nashville Detroit St Louis -(who've been playing for sometime without Canuck killer Alex Steen) Chicago possibly LA (more concerned about LA than San Jose PHX COL, or CAL) in the West and in the East you've got NYR, Pittsburgh, Boston, Piladelphia. I'm honestly not very confident in the Canucks chances against any of those teams I mentioned, considering the way the Canucks have been playing lately.

Everyone needs to chill out, there's still games to play in the regular season, panicking ain't gonna get you anywhere or put the team anywhere,they obviously can see that they are not playing to there abilities and need to change it and I believe they will do so with the upcoming games. Everyone needs to realize that they are loosing and most of the time barely loosing while playing a pretty poor game, the goalies are doing good and once the D gets it going everything else will follow just wait for hammer and juice to get there groove back and all will be good. Once again CHILL THE **** OUT!!!

Archived