Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Tougher And Better Then Last Year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Exactly.

[...]

Yeah he's gonna grow a lot I am really liking his potential.

ON a different note this years team seems to have defensive issues, not sure why it's so bad, but it's almost glaring at this point.

Me too. Especially when Zack is one year behind Cody in his development. And Cody has had the benefit of playing consistently on Buffalo's second line while Zack has been playing all throughout the lineup with limited minutes. It will take him awhile to gel with stable linemates. But I like the immediate added toughness he brings to the team.

Again, Kassian is not eligible for major juniors - as the last person pointed out, Zack's exactly one year behind Cody in development. Cody played in the AHL last year because he was too old for the OHL. Same thing with Kassian.

Kassian will take a bit more time to develop into the product that he can be, and I am excited. But this notion that Kassian is young enough to be playing in the OHL needs to be squashed.

Edited by Dasein, 22 March 2012 - 09:14 AM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#32 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

We are not tougher than last year.

We lost Torres, Glass and replaced them with Kassian and Weise.

Wonderful. ugh.

#33 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Reinprecht is looking capable in Chicago by the way.
Kevin.jpg

#34 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

We are not tougher than last year.

We lost Torres, Glass and replaced them with Kassian and Weise.

Wonderful. ugh.

Do we know for sure that Volpatti won't be back? The short end was 4 months and the long end was 6 months. 4 months are up at the end of this month. Is he in light training yet?
Kevin.jpg

#35 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

When Daniel got hurt no one dropped the gloves. Other teams saw that too. What toughness nobody's afraid. They just tried to, and may have succeeded in taking out our top goal scorer. All you guys with your noses up the GM's ass saying we added toughness, so far I haven't seen nothing but posers. If #37 was still playing it wouldn't have happened.Old school

I was going to start a thread on this but you pretty much said it all. It makes no difference whether Daniel hit Keith first or not. When Keith hit him then Van had to come back hard and they did not! What the h.ll was Bieksa doing grabbing rather than throwing fists. As I said before it was the Hawks that wrote the book that the Bruins read from on how to play the Canucks. The Canucks allowed their best offensive player to be knocked out without payback. It did not have to be Keith they went after it could easily have been Kane. Not only did they let the Hawks off but they also let the refs call a brutal game in favor of the Hawks. After the Keith hit four pair of gloves should have been off and fists flying. No time to call in the UN to even things up. What BS! What has this team learned over the past 4 years? Apparently not much.

Just what do you think was said in the Hawk dressing room last night between 'pops'? Gee I guess we hadn't do that again? I guarantee they were laughing. If the Canucks didn't have the gonads to deal directly by scrapping then they should have ran someone thru the boards. Yes the 'book' on the Canucks is well established. Last night just etched it in stone. What happened last night will be repeated come playoffs, that is a certainty. Unfortunately for many would be pundits, hockey is still a physical game. There are players and orgs willing to pay a physical price. as long as hitting and fighting is still allowed there will be nights like last night. Some teams will answer the bell and others won't.

I am so p.ssed off right now I am ready to zone this franchise out!

#36 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

No he actually is not. Are you dumb? He played in the AHL this year, meaning he's too old for the CHL.

Unless you are talking about Kassian playing in the OHL as an overager like Archibald did and Friesen is doing right now. But that isn't being "young" enough to play in the OHL, but being given an exception to play despite being TOO OLD TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE.

Kassian was too old to play juniors this season.

Yes, he actually is.

Am I dumb? What are you 7 years old....or completely mentally handicapped? I'm going with the latter. Just because a guy played in the AHL this year doesn't mean that he's too old to play in the CHL, you jackass. Get your facts straight before you start spewing out your misinformed garbage. There are many guys playing the AHL who are still eligible to play in the CHL. In fact Kevin Connaughton could have played another year with the Giants a few years ago but the Canucks figured that he had developed as much as he could at the CHL level, so they had him play in the AHL.

What part of playing as a 20 year old don't you understand? Yes, of course I was talking about Kassian playing as an overager. If you play hockey in the CHL and are considered a 20 year old, you are considered an overager, you IDIOT. And what are you talking about as an exception. Every player is eligible to play as a 20 year old overage player. But they either have to be assigned to play there by their NHL team because they are better served trying to develop at that level, usually to get stronger rather than having to play against grown men every night, or they have to be wanted by their parent junior team as a guy they'd like to use as one of their 20 year olds. If you're too old to play in the league, you wouldn't be allowed to play in the league, so what in the f*@k are you talking about? In the WHL you are allowed to have three 20 year olds on your roster. The CHL is for players 16-20 years old. Look it up jackass, instead of posting about something that you apparently know nothing about. Because Kassian has a 91 year birthdate, he was ABSOLUTELY fine and able to play in the OHL this year. But, because the Sabres thought that he'd be better off developing in the AHL against much better competition, that's where he played.

"An exception to play despite being TOO OLD TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE"???????? Hilarious. Get your facts straight dude.

Kassian was not too old to play in the OHL>Figure it out!

#37 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Again, Kassian is not eligible for major juniors - as the last person pointed out, Zack's exactly one year behind Cody in development. Cody played in the AHL last year because he was too old for the OHL. Same thing with Kassian.

Kassian will take a bit more time to develop into the product that he can be, and I am excited. But this notion that Kassian is young enough to be playing in the OHL needs to be squashed.

As stated, you are wrong about Kassian not being eligible for major juniors this year as he absolutely was eligible.

#38 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I miss Torres and Erhoff so much. Overall, we are less skilled. Are we also less tough? I think the game against Blackhawks proved that.

#39 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Keep in mind Kassian is still young enough to be playing junior. This kid is a good one. He has a big upside, give it time.

exactly

#40 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Reinprecht is looking capable in Chicago by the way.

he will be amazing with malhotra, pahlson, hansen. we could have the best checking line out of everyone in the playoffs

#41 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

IMO none of the "playoff" needs were addressed.Who's here will have to do it I guess.

#42 hammer4

hammer4

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

We are tougher, but i'd say when it comes down to skill in comparison to last year we are the same. Beating a dead horse here but if the Sedins and Kesler were having a year identical to last year along with the rest of our players everyone would be going off about how the Canucks this year are better than last year.
Posted Image

#43 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

We need Kesler to play beast mode again, Henrik to play like he did in round 3, and Luongo to play like he did in 07 and we are set. Actually we just need Luongo to play like he did in 2007 and we will probably not lose more then 5 games. That's all I'm asking for.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#44 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

How much did Torres and Glass contribute that can't be done by Zak or Dale .

#45 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

How much did Torres and Glass contribute that can't be done by Zak or Dale .

I think you've mistaken badly. Torres was with with our notorious checking line of Torres Lappiere and Hansen Line. Glass was'nt on that line. Part of that line is still there actually, just put Lappiere Hansen and another to replace Torres.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#46 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

toughness - wheather you think it increased or decreased, there wasn't much change
Hopefully this time around, the team knows how to react when things get rough and the PP isn't clicking

#47 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Tougher? A little
Better? Lol no
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

So the Canucks have a label on them as being soft, MG trades Hodgson and gets Kassian for some toughness. We've lost our scoring depth now, Daniel Sedin to a concussion most likely, and oh yeah, this team isn't any tougher. They are the exact same team as last year, they get thrown off their game and they think facewashing and little scrums makes them tough. Kassian is looking good but him and Lappy can't be depended to wear out the other team and provide toughness. Weise is not tough, and Bieksa can't throw a hit anymore, there isn't much fighting in the playoffs...

Kassian isn't ready to produce offensively yet, so where is our offense going to come from? Sedins will be less effective then last year in the playoffs, I gaurantee you. Kesler is not looking close to his old form and he carried us through the 2nd round last year.

Everyones been saying Hodgson who, he's a bust etc, because he had 0 points in 10 games, don't forget he was learning a new system, had a crazy scheduele before and after the deadline and getting used to a new team in a new country. His team is on a winning streak since they've aqcuired him and might make the playoffs. He has 4 points in his last 2 games and was a difference maker on the Canucks, especially when they were big games. Canucks had an advantage going into the playoffs with him because now they could finally have 3 scoring lines. Guess what happened when we traded Hodgson? We are now a 2 line team and it shows, Sedins can't generate anything being our main scoring threat and the 2nd line is not going to carry us through the playoffs.

Pahlsson was brought in to replace Hodgson? I would way rather have Hodgson, head and shoulders better offensively. Sure Pahlsson is better defensively and at faceoffs, but all I've seen from Pahlsson is his line getting pinned in their own end and him losing a whole lot of important defensive faceoffs, he is no Manny.

The biggest thing MG missed was getting a top 4 d-man at the deadline, Our offense was fine at the time and Kassian on the 4th line isn't going to provide that much more toughness for us in the playoffs. Our defense looks horrible and Bieksa is not a top paring d-man, how can AV not figure this out? Hopefully Ballard returning will help get them back to form, but I doubt it.

I just don't see this team winning it this year, unless Sedins, Kesler and the defense completely step it up in the playoffs, and AV actually doesn't get outcoached every series.

You start this post about team toughness then turn it into a Hodgson whine. It's just like last season and Michael Grabner, and what has he done this season........ :bored:

#49 pahllson2.0

pahllson2.0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

The canucks are tougher then last year but bitz and duco for the playoffs

#50 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure if we are exactly better,we are not going to hit nowhere near 119 points, but what matters most, is the team is almost indentical to last year, and if you ask me, we have more toughness. Is it enough? I don't know, we are toughter, but to what extent? We'll see. Kassian's hit count, has slowed dowen recently to an average one 1 hit per game the last 5 games. I expect that to pick up come playoffs. But if we start the playofffs witout Daniel Sedin, and Ballard then really.... we are not as good, lol. We need those 2 guys back A.S.A F IN P. With the way our bottom pairing is going.... man do I miss Ballard.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#51 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,253 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

As stated, you are wrong about Kassian not being eligible for major juniors this year as he absolutely was eligible.

He's NOT eligible.

He could be made an exception for - but he's not eligible.

Exceptional status given to underagers like John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid. None of those players were/are eligible to play in the OHL because they were/are underagers, but they were/are made an exception for by the league to play as underagers. On the other hand, Kassian would have had to be one of four overagers a team can carry. He's NOT eligible to play, but he can be made an exception for to play as an overager.

Kassian wasn't eligible to play in major juniors this year.

Edited by Dasein, 24 March 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#52 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

He's NOT eligible.

Exceptional status given to underagers like John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid. None of those players were/are eligible to play in the OHL because they were/are underagers, but they were/are made an exception for by the league to play as underagers. On the other hand, Kassian would have had to be one of four overagers a team can carry. He's NOT eligible to play, but he can be made an exception for to play as an overager.

"Hair splitter" .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#53 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

He's NOT eligible.

What? He could be made an exception for but he's not eligible? If you are between 16 and 20, you can play, and therefor must be eligible. Like I stated earlier, Kassian was 20 years old when the season started with a 91 birth year. Since major junior hockey clearly states that the eligible years to play are between 16-20, how is it that with him being 20, he's not eligible? Just because you have a quota on the amount of 20 year olds that you can carry, doesn't mean that you need to make an exception for them as they are clearly in the age rage that is defined by the league. If you are too young to play, ala Tavares when he was only 15, then he would have needed to have a special exception made because the league clearly states that you need to be between 16 and 20 and he was only 15. Underagers need an exception as they are too young to play accorging to league mandated rules, where as overagers do not as they fall within the leagues age limit rules. When the league accepts 20 year olds as part of their regular rosters, this is not an exception but rather part of their rules.

Once again, Kassian was clearly eligible to play in junior hockey this year.

#54 sdnucksfan

sdnucksfan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

why is everyone saying we only have two scoring lines? our third line was responsible for tying and winning tongihts game w/ pahlson and hansen registering the assists, obv. guys can step up when necessary.

#55 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Yep you're right clearly MG has no idea what he was doing with the Hodgson trade. Kassian is a plug and has 0 upside so why should we expect him to improve even before and during the playoffs. You would have done a much better job better go hand your application in ASAP. Let's not wait til after the playoffs let's rag on MG now cuz that's fair. I can't wait to bump all these threads when Kassian goes into beast mode.

SYvE9NH.gif

#56 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,343 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

cody would have been toast as a 3rd line center if we have another physical series like we went through with nashville or chicago this time around
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.