The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need Ballard Back Soon Thread

ice orca

I hate when people say he's overpaid he is but its not like he should be paid .9m he is like a 2.5-3m Dman, anyways what people don't realize is that he is great for the dressing room, he is funny and everybody likes him, and if you're willing to stick up for your teammates its like the Chara effect as I call it, you play a lot tougher if you know someone is backing you up.

I hate when people say he's overpaid he is but its not like he should be paid .9m he is like a 2.5-3m Dman, anyways what people don't realize is that he is great for the dressing room, he is funny and everybody likes him, and if you're willing to stick up for your teammates its like the Chara effect as I call it, you play a lot tougher if you know someone is backing you up.

Ballard really did solidify our 3rd pairing - though I don't think he should fight anymore now that he has a concussion. I can't help but think that this concussion is a result of a fight, or he fought while concussed and it just became worse.

Ballard hasn't skated nor exercised since the team announced that he had a concussion, so it looks to be quite serious. No one really knows when he'll be back, and with only two weeks left in the regular season, it doesn't look like Keith will be back in for the 1st round.

First, he needs to start skating on his own and do light workouts, second, he needs to raise the intensity of his workouts, third, he needs to be cleared to practice with the team, fourth, he needs to be cleared for contact and finally, be cleared for game action.

That's also the process that needs to be taken with Daniel Sedin. The thing that scares me the most about Daniel is that he got hit in the jaw, and that he doesn't wear a mouthguard (which prevents a lot of head trauma - Henrik doesn't wear one either). No one's taken that into account yet, but I think if Daniel had been wearing one, it would definitely help alleviate some damage or the concussion could have been completely avoided.

Anyways, back to Ballard. I would really love to hear some updates regarding him from the team.

What's most important is his veteran presence - its something this team relies heavily on. Whenever we lose Salo we lose our best veteran, but the loss of Ballard is proving that even he is an experienced guy who contributes a lot in the locker room.

Guys like Edler, Bieksa and even Hamhuis are still quite young and while they withstood a playoff run last year, they don't have the lengthy league-experience that Ballard and Salo do who've been around for a long time. Then there's guys like Tanev, Rome, Alberts and Gragnani who've played only a handful of games compared to these vets.

This is why Hal Gill would have been the perfect fit for our team - we need a big physical defenceman, but more importantly someone with plenty of experience who can settle and calm down this shaky defence when it loses its cool, ala SCF.

Wow ppl have gotten a lot nicer towards Ballard. I guess it's a bit of you dont know what you have until it's gone type of mentality.

Having said that, I'm less optimistic about his future with this team. Hes a great guy to have on the team but we are going to need salary cap space to sign Burr and Edler, not to mention extending Higgy, lappy and hansen. We have Gragnani and Connauton and Sauve coming up and maybe some free agents to (justin schultz possibly which would be a huge addition). So yeah he will help us in the playoffs but I think MG should make a move in the offseason...

Rome plays with alot of grit hes probably our most tough defensemen and doesnt take sh**t from players. He may not be the best d man but hey hes big and tough, definetly better then Alberts hes just a big pansy, cant skate, cant hit , cant fight, cant score. Id like to see ballard back with Tanev or Rome. Id prefer Tanev because of his smart defense skills

Anyone get the feeling that Ballard was kind of pissed off in his interview?

They asked him why he was wearing a no contact uniform, and he sounded bitter like he didn't wanna be wearing it.

Something tells me he may have been ready a long time ago but they can't get him back in the lineup cause there's no room. Unless they send Tanev down, but I really don't see them doing that.

He also sounded annoyed when he said he would like to get some games in before the playoffs. But obviously that's not gonna happen because they're at the roster limit, and won't be able to take him off LTIR till the playoffs.

Archived