Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

5 Min Major And A Game Misconduct=Different Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Tiers

Tiers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Last nights game was a microcosm of whats wrong with Hockey today

Lots of threads about the Keith hit but really this desrves a thread of its own. WE as fans always see the game the way we want and reffing is always in the eye of the beholder. But sometimes it doesnt make any sense.

The Sedins quite simply are not given the same respect by the NHL that other elite players in the present and past have gotten. When Boston last year showed this to be the case in a blatantly obvious fashion it paved the way to shut them down and proved that there are no 'rules' against cheap shots intentional injury and intimidation. Sure you can say that they need to 'toughen up' or learn to play through it or change but in reality because of their past play when they do try to fight back etc. they are targeted with penalties themselves because it is outside of their past character, simply the refs target them. There have been many examples of this this year, so they continue to try and play their normal game and, well you can see the result. The refs are just not going to go back to pre-Boston finals hockey reffing. It is clearly open season on them.

Back to the topic why wasn't a 5 min major and gane misconduct called on that elbow? It would have been a completely different game if Keith had been removed at that point. The Canucks rightly or wrongly would not have spent the game chasing revenge...Until managed hockey games...this new era of reffing...is rescinded teams like the Canucks are up against the wall. No one on the ice know what is allowed or when you have gone too far The Zebras need to go back to calling exactly what is in the rule book.

The NHL and referees have shown the league how to beat the Canucks and I fear Hockey is not the same as it used to be.

#2 KG517GREEN

KG517GREEN

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I couldn't agree more. With Keith out of the game, it would have been a completely different story. If the refs are not going to throw him out of the game, then it should be open season on Keith, not the tacky cheap penalty calls we were getting. A facewash?!? Seriously?!? If that's a penalty, where was Marchand's on Danny last year. No consistency whatsoever, and that's the real problem. Good post OP.

#3 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

The refs are definitely to blame for how the rest of the game went down. It's funny because the refs say they don't want to influence the outcomes but they do it more now then ever

#4 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

The refs are incompetent. Get used to it.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#5 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

The refs are incompetent. Get used to it.

Why should we have to 'get used to it', though? If anyone was this incompetent in their job, they wouldn't have a job. The more we 'get used to it' and accept it, the worse it's going to become........and in doing so, will destroy this great and wonderful game we love so much.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#6 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Canucks should have been able to close out the game. Even thought a game misconduct should have been called on Keith, we can't afford to expect every call to be made. No penalties were called in the 3rd or OT when it was still 1-1. Even though the reffing didn't go out way, Canucks still had a chance to close it out but didn't. So there is no point in making excuses.

Just take the lose and be happy points don't really matter for us anymore
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#7 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Why should we have to 'get used to it', though? If anyone was this incompetent in their job, they wouldn't have a job. The more we 'get used to it' and accept it, the worse it's going to become........and in doing so, will destroy this great and wonderful game we love so much.

We shouldn't have to. I am just saying that is the way it is.

I don't have faith these bozos (that includes those running the league) will get it together. They had a lot figured out after the lockout. Now they seem to be backtracking.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#8 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

i am sure one of these reffs called a game in the final last year.

#9 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

If the rules and refereeing are not consistent or transparent your league has no integrity.

That is where the NHL is at present.

No integrity. Obvious conflict of interest at head office. Some teams allowed to get away with anything.

The NHL is seriously in rough shape.

#10 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

There was a time in hockey where you'd hate your opponent on the ice, but off the ice, still respect them. Now a days, its not the same - players are self centered and don't care about anyone else; Bettman era has really screwed up the NHL.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#11 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

That was a classic Dan O'Halloran performance last night - if NHL officials were as accountable as players - he'd be in the AHL, ECHL, or WHL...if he could compete.

#12 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

That was a classic Dan O'Halloran performance last night - if NHL officials were as accountable as players - he'd be in the AHL, ECHL, or WHL...if he could compete.

Dan O'Halloran was the one that called Marchand on Salo I think. He's a vet, he's one of the better refs out there actually.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Last nights game was a microcosm of whats wrong with Hockey the NHL today

Fixed.
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#14 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Dan O'Halloran was the one that called Marchand on Salo I think. He's a vet, he's one of the better refs out there actually.

Obviously not that good aftr he blew it in last nights game. By not kicking Keith out for his elbow he lost control of the game right there.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#15 Tiers

Tiers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Canucks should have been able to close out the game. Even thought a game misconduct should have been called on Keith, we can't afford to expect every call to be made. No penalties were called in the 3rd or OT when it was still 1-1. Even though the reffing didn't go out way, Canucks still had a chance to close it out but didn't. So there is no point in making excuses.

Just take the lose and be happy points don't really matter for us anymore

I agree 100% but my original point is still valid. After the ASB it seems that reffing has gone playoff style and this style in the last year is very suspect to me. I want the refs to let them play in most instances but things that are so blatantly obvious and are in the rulebook should be of concern. When it is not handled by the refs then the game spirals out of control no one knows how far you can go and it seems that teams like the Canucks when playing out of character are targeted more then others

...and quite honestly they were designed as an offensive team not a bruiser dirty team and when they go that way we suck. Does this mean that we need to trade to become ruffians? I loved the Canucks in the last few years simply because we were so skilled if they go this route I dont know if I would want to follow, I love skill Hockey, goon/gladiator hockey though sometimes entertaining to me is not what I want to see nightly. But maybe I am wrong maybe this is what the US masses want Rollerball style hockey...knifeblades on hockeysticks etc.

Edited by Tiers, 22 March 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#16 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Lots of threads about the Keith hit but really this desrves a thread of its own. WE as fans always see the game the way we want and reffing is always in the eye of the beholder. But sometimes it doesnt make any sense.

The Sedins quite simply are not given the same respect by the NHL that other elite players in the present and past have gotten. When Boston last year showed this to be the case in a blatantly obvious fashion it paved the way to shut them down and proved that there are no 'rules' against cheap shots intentional injury and intimidation. Sure you can say that they need to 'toughen up' or learn to play through it or change but in reality because of their past play when they do try to fight back etc. they are targeted with penalties themselves because it is outside of their past character, simply the refs target them. There have been many examples of this this year, so they continue to try and play their normal game and, well you can see the result. The refs are just not going to go back to pre-Boston finals hockey reffing. It is clearly open season on them.

Back to the topic why wasn't a 5 min major and gane misconduct called on that elbow? It would have been a completely different game if Keith had been removed at that point. The Canucks rightly or wrongly would not have spent the game chasing revenge...Until managed hockey games...this new era of reffing...is rescinded teams like the Canucks are up against the wall. No one on the ice know what is allowed or when you have gone too far The Zebras need to go back to calling exactly what is in the rule book.

The NHL and referees have shown the league how to beat the Canucks and I fear Hockey is not the same as it used to be.

You had me until you started in on the "NHL HAS NO RESPECT FOR US BS" Blah blah blah. I am sick of every poster that whines about us having it soooo bad compared to all the other teams in the leaugue.
Do you know what that tells me about you? you don't watch any hockey games except the Canucks,You may scan the channels for scoresn updates but you don't Watch if you did you would realize every team gets horrible calls or non calls against them on a nightly basis.
We are our own worst enemy!

#17 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

i am sure one of these reffs called a game in the final last year.

And if they want to continue to receive paycheques from Bettman, they are going to be making these bone headed decisions to be under Bettmans goodwill to ref playoff games. Pretty much as simple as that.

#18 Tiers

Tiers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

You had me until you started in on the "NHL HAS NO RESPECT FOR US BS" Blah blah blah. I am sick of every poster that whines about us having it soooo bad compared to all the other teams in the leaugue.
Do you know what that tells me about you? you don't watch any hockey games except the Canucks,You may scan the channels for scoresn updates but you don't Watch if you did you would realize every team gets horrible calls or non calls against them on a nightly basis.

Your wrong I do watch others have all the Sports channels. and I agree ....I am not just a canucks fan, but I am posting in our forum. You are right and I sort of alluded to it in the general analysis that there is a refjing problem in the NHL. It does seem highlighted in Canucks games for some reason. And full disclosure if you look at some of my other posts I am not happy with the Canucks efforts and lack of scoring by our 'elite' players. The team seems broken to me somehow but I trace it back to the SCF games in Boston. Whatever changed in that series has effected the Canucks. When it was shown how to shut them down facillated by non calls The whole league learned that in this new era skill can be hacked out of existence. Should the Canucks adapt/trade to fix this ? Probably but They will not be the same team we all loved these past few years.

#19 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Obviously the game would have been different.

I don't think it's neccesarily the Sedins that get the shaft but the Canucks in general. Look at the Rome suspension. If you want to make a comparison there than Keith should be looking at 20 games but we all know that won't happen.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#20 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Sadly as of late the fix is in, all about the American fan base.And I couldn't agree more by sending the cheap shot artist to the showers was the first mistake... after that the NHL showed their true colours...where hacking,slashing and jumping on opposing players is the norm and skill and talent is not rewarded...'CBS CARES'

#21 miked1101

miked1101

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

If the NHL wants to be taken seriously as a professional sports league they need to address the reffing system because it's only getting worse each season, league-wide. Call penalties for what they are and get rid of this game management BS.
Posted Image

#22 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

If the NHL wants to be taken seriously as a professional sports league they need to address the reffing system because it's only getting worse each season, league-wide. Call penalties for what they are and get rid of this game management BS.

Exactly .. +1 .. seems Buttman, and his Yankee benefactors, want WWE-On-Ice .. ruining a good game ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#23 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

45.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent. A major penalty must be imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (see 45.5).

45.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct penalty shall also be imposed.

How this wasn't a major and a game is just baffling.

Was a an elbow thrown ? Yes
Did the referee witness it ? Yes
Was it to the opponent's face or head ? Yes
Was the opponent injured on the play ? Yes

#24 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Let me sum it up.

1) Daniel got hit be Keith. No major.
2) Canucks retaliated. (Whoa they actually fight back!!!)
3) Refs goes "OMG the Canucks are out for blood. Stop them!!!" and call everything against the Canucks.

Compared this with the way the Bruins got away with everything last year.

This league suck balls.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#25 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

refs need to be held accountable for bad calls. Now i'm not saying they should be punished for every bad call.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

SO i made a tweet ( i was joking) " Duncan kieth = the next steve moore... you have been warned. " and i have never got so much hate mail, wow,

#27 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again

The NHL is the only "major" sport where referees dictate the game and are held unaccountable because of it. Do mistakes happen in other sports? Absolutely, but they openly state that it was their fault and parties move on. With the NHL its NONONON YOURE WRONG REFEREES ARE RIGHT BLAHBLAHBLAH.

frack Bettman, he's the cancer that's killing the NHL slowly

#28 burrows42010

burrows42010

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

this game is history...however...i did officiate minor hockey hockey at one point....we would all be very disappointed if an official failed to call a major in any league on a hit like that one on daniel.i do hope the nhl will discipline keith for this and send the right message here.

#29 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,989 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

is keith getting suspended or did we get screwed on that as well?

#30 Iamacanuck18

Iamacanuck18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

The media hates the canucks.... some media outlets are calling for a burrows suspension for kneeing keith during a scrum. I cannot believe all the hate the canucks get from media.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.