The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Police Chief To Canuck Fans: 'don't Come Downtown'

ltrain

Whatever, I like watching games in the comfort of my own home anyways. Like another poster said, everyone I knew that went Downtown jumped on the band-wagon anyways.

People who actually want to watch the game and not be there with hundreds of thousands of people just to be amidst the hype can actually make the effort to watch.

Rioters completely humiliated the city. I can see why the VPD would say that.

At the same time, as much as the streets were full of bandwagoners, it was an extremely fun time to be amongst the spirit of the city.

Oh well! I'm sure they won't cancel the parade ;)

I was disgusted as much as anyone with the riots but can you say holy that goes against the charter of rights and freedoms and my freedom of movement. They can't tell people where they can and can't go, but for sure don't set up the one big screen again but people are more then within their right to gather at friends places downtown or at pubs and restaurants.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/03/22/bc-vancouver-stanley-riot.html

The City of Vancouver is putting the final touches on its plan for the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs in hopes of preventing a repeat of last year's riot.

Deputy city manager Sadhu Johnston says the sensational outburst of violence last June was a result of several things including having too many people in too small an area drinking too much booze,

This year will be different, he says. Instead of one large site in the downtown core, the city wants to create a number of small neighbourhood-based celebration sites

"That's one of the things we are looking at as opposed to the large, large celebrations all in one place."

Johnston wouldn't say whether they'll allow street closures and downtown live sites, but did say plans are to limit the number of people, and the amount of alcohol, coming into the downtown core.

To do that the city is expecting police outside of Vancouver to vigorously enforce liquor laws.

"The key strategy is working with our partners on liquor, to address the number of people coming into downtown and the amount of alcohol they might bring with them."

City manager Penny Ballem is expected to update the city council next week with more specifics on the plan.

Vancouver police say so far 75 suspects are facing a total of 197 criminal charges for participating in the riot that broke out after the Canucks lost the seventh game of the Stanley Cup Finals last June.

Sucks cuz seeing everyone downtown wearing nucks shirts and jerseys was pretty sick. Felt good to be a fan. I was wasted downtown but had no desire to riot .. Felt to awful from the loss. Wasn't true nucks fans who rioted, only drunken as#holes... It's ignorant to think people won't come downtown if we make it back to the finals. Why not have some more police and put schnieds in net, that way the nucks will win..

Rioters completely humiliated the city. I can see why the VPD would say that.

At the same time, as much as the streets were full of bandwagoners, it was an extremely fun time to be amongst the spirit of the city.

Oh well! I'm sure they won't cancel the parade ;)

Archived