Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Vancouver Police Chief To Canuck Fans: 'don't Come Downtown'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#91 chicocanuck

chicocanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

If we can't party for the playoffs, the rioters win.

Posted Image

"He's so cool and calm he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth". - Kevin Bieksa

#92 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Dear Vancouver Police chief you can't stop me from going walking around downtown or going to a pub downtown or shopping downtown in my canuck stuff. If you guys would have done your job to begin with then this would never have happened. Also for the last time Those rioters were not canuck fans stop lumping us all in with them, honestly!

29mln9e.jpg

CHOCOLATE RAIN, YOU GUYS! CHOCOLATE RAIN!

Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

#93 Ace_of_Spades

Ace_of_Spades

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Good luck with that. His memo should have been to the Canucks: Don't lose game 7.

lolz

#94 davidbrowntv

davidbrowntv

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

The riot only happened because of the '94 riot and the media outlets in Vancouver.
Fact.

Asking people to stay away from downtown is stupid and will never happen.

They won't have to worry about another riot now that everyone knows their is a good chance
they will get caught and charged because of the internet.

#95 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

It's actually a brilliant plan. Those who don't care to get involved with that nonesense will likely have their own plans outside of hanging around downtown. The troublemakers can go ahead and hang downtown meaning that's where the concentration Of troublemakers can be found. Kind of makes it easy for the police. They just sit back and let them come to them, itll be a great day for fishing. Cast the net and let them all swim right into it. I for one was not downtown nor would I care to be in that pit and had a great time wih friends in the comforts of our home.
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#96 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

1 - shut down public transit out of surrey before games
2 - set up road blocks on alex fraser and pattullo

3 - ???
4 - profit

Pssh, who takes public transit these days when you've got a car, a bike, and two legs...

Step 2 isn't very good. You forgot to set up road blocks on the Port Mann (the other bridge out of Surrey/Delta/Langley/Abbotsford/Chiliwack/etc.). We could always take the Golden Ears (the toll isn't too bad for a 2 way trip) and it's pretty darn close in the Walnut Grove area.
:lol:

There is no point of having the police chief saying this to the public because people are still going to go downtown (the police is too slow...they haven't even charged all of the rioters yet....pathetic).

I guess the playoff parties (in the streets) will be in Surrey/Delta (Scott Road) and Abbotsford (Fraser Hwy).
^ the only other two locations where large groups of people meet up

#97 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

F that - I don't give what the chief has to say; I'm not gonna let a small group of morons from last year ruin it for us this time around too - they should be banned, not the true fans : if a screens up, I'm going 100% and don't give a damn about what the chief has to say.

....no offense, but the cops and security sucked balls on the day of game 7 of the SCF. 'yea, dw guys, it's just game 7 - let's all stay at the station, nothing's gonna happen'. 10 minutes later... 'Everyone, listen up. The riots are starting up, but we have to think of what to do'; AN HOUR AND A HALF LATER, THEY FINALY COME OUT AND DO SOMETHING!

....trying put the blame all on us and make the true fans that did nothing pay; f off again - at least have some common sense next time around and be on the streets during the game.

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 22 March 2012 - 07:44 PM.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#98 davidbrowntv

davidbrowntv

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

1 - shut down public transit out of surrey before games
2 - set up road blocks on alex fraser and pattullo
3 - ???
4 - profit

January Police report from January 2012:

Charges laid on Surrey residents: 26
Charges laid on Vancouver residents: 22

#99 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

i thought for 24 games the fans were pretty well behaved...its was that 25th game were a bunch of wannabe canuck fans killed it
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#100 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

for those that are wearing mask, they should be free to shoot with rubber bullets or teaser...

#101 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Whatever, I like watching games in the comfort of my own home anyways. Like another poster said, everyone I knew that went Downtown jumped on the band-wagon anyways.

People who actually want to watch the game and not be there with hundreds of thousands of people just to be amidst the hype can actually make the effort to watch.

#102 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Rioters completely humiliated the city. I can see why the VPD would say that.

At the same time, as much as the streets were full of bandwagoners, it was an extremely fun time to be amongst the spirit of the city.

Oh well! I'm sure they won't cancel the parade ;)
Posted Image

#103 gragnanifan1

gragnanifan1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

a tiny group ruins it for the whole province

goofs
Posted Image
credit goes to allons-y
Posted Image NHL 13 GM Connected -GM of the Hurricanes http://forum.canucks...ed-league-xbox/

#104 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Since when do the cops have to do there jobs? They shouldn't have to, people should be able to get together and not riot in the first place. Have we seriously turned into a society where we need police to monitor our actions so we don't go over the edge?

qrak1x.jpg

#105 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Go anyways! Its a free country

#106 Visp

Visp

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Bring in the damn army, navy and airforce. I would like to see some idiot throw a sign through a coffee shop window with those guys looking on...

#107 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Too bad its public space that we pay for with our taxes and not to mention, we pay the police salaries too... Soooo we can go anywhere we damn well please.

#108 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

ahh, it was hard to see anything anyways, at least at home I can follow and analyze each game more easily.

And laying on the couch is much more comfortable than standing or sitting on concrete

#109 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

I was disgusted as much as anyone with the riots but can you say holy that goes against the charter of rights and freedoms and my freedom of movement. They can't tell people where they can and can't go, but for sure don't set up the one big screen again but people are more then within their right to gather at friends places downtown or at pubs and restaurants.
Posted Image

#110 ltrain

ltrain

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anley-riot.html

The City of Vancouver is putting the final touches on its plan for the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs in hopes of preventing a repeat of last year's riot.

Deputy city manager Sadhu Johnston says the sensational outburst of violence last June was a result of several things including having too many people in too small an area drinking too much booze,

This year will be different, he says. Instead of one large site in the downtown core, the city wants to create a number of small neighbourhood-based celebration sites

"That's one of the things we are looking at as opposed to the large, large celebrations all in one place."

Johnston wouldn't say whether they'll allow street closures and downtown live sites, but did say plans are to limit the number of people, and the amount of alcohol, coming into the downtown core.

To do that the city is expecting police outside of Vancouver to vigorously enforce liquor laws.

"The key strategy is working with our partners on liquor, to address the number of people coming into downtown and the amount of alcohol they might bring with them."

City manager Penny Ballem is expected to update the city council next week with more specifics on the plan.

Vancouver police say so far 75 suspects are facing a total of 197 criminal charges for participating in the riot that broke out after the Canucks lost the seventh game of the Stanley Cup Finals last June.

#111 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sucks cuz seeing everyone downtown wearing nucks shirts and jerseys was pretty sick. Felt good to be a fan. I was wasted downtown but had no desire to riot .. Felt to awful from the loss. Wasn't true nucks fans who rioted, only drunken as#holes... It's ignorant to think people won't come downtown if we make it back to the finals. Why not have some more police and put schnieds in net, that way the nucks will win..
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#112 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Ugh, what a cop-out. Nofuncouver really is an earned moniker. How about just learning from the past, and devising new ways to deal with complications?

Aborting the whole thing is both lazy and naive.

Edited by suolucidir, 23 March 2012 - 03:03 PM.

PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#113 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Rioters completely humiliated the city. I can see why the VPD would say that.

At the same time, as much as the streets were full of bandwagoners, it was an extremely fun time to be amongst the spirit of the city.

Oh well! I'm sure they won't cancel the parade ;)

It's embarrassing that there was a riot, but as far as riots go it was relatively mild. So far as I heard nobody died, and there wasn't much more than a couple crispy cars and garbage bins, and broken windows. Add a few more uniformed bodies, and instead of having one massive crowd in front of a single bigscreen how about some smaller ones spread out?

And finally, freaking prosecute the offenders from the last riot.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#114 Grind-Like-Lightning

Grind-Like-Lightning

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

TO THE BARS!!!
Posted Image Posted Image

#115 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

People will still go downtown..

the difference is there wont be thousands of people there already watching the game on big screens. we lost that privilege last year
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.