Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Daniel's Hit On Keith Was Perfectly Ok, Everyone Who Says It Ain't Is Full Of It

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I CANNOT BELIEVE that people are talking about this hit. People are doing revisionist history here to try and turn this into an anti-Canucks thing however they can. They're grasping at straws.

Point one: no penalty was called on the play. The United Center scorekeeper didn't register it as a hit! I've taken the trouble to look through all the comments on the ESPN, SBNation, hfboards, and so forth game feeds. NOT ONE SINGLE COMMENT by anybody on that hit by Sedin until AFTER TSN talked about it. When it actually happened not a single person out of all the Canucks haters that think our guys should be suspended if they sneeze even noticed it!

Point two: it was a full-body hit, head was NOT the principle point of contact. There was incidental contact to the head, and it was because Keith was admiring his pass, turned away with his head down. That hit happens every other game in this league! Nobody has been suspended for that all season! The Sedins/Kesler absorb that hit ALL THE TIME and it is NEVER called, not even two minutes...but now, it supposedly justifies Keith's headhunting and should be suspendable?

The media/hockey fan community narrative on this situation is an abomination! The double standard against the Canucks is out of control! Do y'all realize that the last time a Canuck received supplemental discipline was Rome on Horton? KEITH'S ELBOW WAS WAY WORSE THAN THAT! That was a hockey hit that was half-a-second late. This was a deliberate intent to injure on the reigning Art Ross/Pearson winner! Away from the puck, as revenge for a clean hit! That got four SCF games, but people are saying Keith should get less than five? IT SHOULD BE MORE THAN TEN! If it isn't after what Rome got, THAT'S A DISGRACEFUL DOUBLE STANDARD.

I know people aren't happy with the Canucks down at NHL HQ because of some of the things that've gone down over the years (Auger/Burrows, Gillis and Henrik calling out officials now and then) but that's not an excuse to play it one way for some teams and differently for others. If we play Chicago in the playoffs and Sedin is out but Keith is in, what will happen? It will be SUPER UGLY. There's players over on their team like Keith and Toews and Seabrook with concussion issues, does the league want to open that can of worms? They need to step up to the plate here or it will be ugly. They need to have a good long talk with Dan O'Halloran as well. If that game had been in Vancouver there would have been big problems. Somebody needs to lay down the law!

Also whatever anyone says should be the number of games Keith got, he should get one more because he got to play in the rest of that game, and he never should have been in there. We lost our top scorer but they got to keep their best defenceman. So, whatever he gets, add one more (or even two) for the one that O'Halloran missed which cost us that game last night.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#2 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Totally agree with you

A video would help though :)
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#3 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

yep totally clean
Posted Image

#4 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I agree with your logic and the fact that it often goes unpunished. When it happened live though I commented to myslef that it could have been a penalty. Daniel was finishing his check and his shoulder ended up hitting Keith's head due to Keith not paying attention and his being short, and Daniel uncharacteristically finishing a check with vengence. I've see the NHL call those both ways, does not surprise me as the NHL is so inconsistent.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#5 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

It could have been a 2 min for interferance or contact to the head.

Was it dirty or deliberate? Not at all.

Doesn't mean it was 'perfectly ok'.
CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 AbbyNucksFan

AbbyNucksFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,464 posts

"Clean" and "didnt get a penalty for it" are not always the same.
Posted Image

Credit to LostViking for the sig! Thanks!

#7 Comrade

Comrade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Blackhawks forum last night was practically calling the hit just as bad as Keith's hit on Daniel. Some of them even blamed the Refs for not tossing Daniel out the game.

Ha...

#8 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Daniel's hit was nothing more than a 2 minute minor. A little late.

Kieth's on the other hand, was an intent to injure.

So if Hawks fans even say Daniel's hit was just as bad as Kieth's, they're stupid

#9 foop

foop

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

It's not as bad as the Keith hit, not nearly. However, it wasn't perfectly clean. A suspension? No. A two minute penalty? Yes.

Think about it from the other side. If Kane hit Hamhuis like that, people on this board would be very upset. Don't try to deny it.
Inappropriate sig is inappropriate.

#10 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

It's not as bad as the Keith hit, not nearly. However, it wasn't perfectly clean. A suspension? No. A two minute penalty? Yes.

Think about it from the other side. If Kane hit Hamhuis like that, people on this board would be very upset. Don't try to deny it.

We get to look at it from the other side nightly, this check is delivered to the Sedins and Kesler on a nightly basis with no call. Sure people might comment on it or get angry but at least no Canuck has gone headhunting like Keith did.

#11 themonicator

themonicator

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

There should have been a penalty on that shoulder hit. It was poorly executed.

Edit: A suspension? No.

Edited by themonicator, 22 March 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

Our Prospects

#12 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

it was a bad hit..anyone saying otherwise needs to take off them homer glasses.
2 minutes at most...and maybe a fine but that is it.

keiths hit was just wtf
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#13 StanleyCup=HolyGrail

StanleyCup=HolyGrail

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

i wouldn't call the hit completely clean.

2 minutes would be a fair call. The ref elected to let it slide. Probably because that sort of hit is hardly what you would expect from the Sedins. They don't play dirty, not like that anyways. The no call was a reputation call by the ref.
Shootouts are entertaining but they are not worth points!!!

Posted Image

#14 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

who cares.

#15 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

To me, Daniel's hit on Keith was not suspendable. I think it should have been 2 minutes at most.

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#16 wrath_jason

wrath_jason

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm expecting Shanny to hand down a suspension to Keith in a few days here...

#17 Brunners

Brunners

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Daniels hit definitely connected with the head of Keith; although you can tell it was a marginally late hockey hit.

Keith effectively saying "I'm going to get you back" and then elbowing Daniel in the head with the puck no where near is nothing short of serious intent to injure and should be dealt with accordingly.

Posted Image

--

#18 lateralus

lateralus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'm expecting Shanny to hand down a suspension to Keith in a few days here...

My crystal ball says Friday...yes tomorrow at ....wait for it....11 am PT.

Great crystal ball I have! :P

Edited by lateralus, 22 March 2012 - 04:49 PM.

CDC is a reflection of society.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

When are you guys gonna learn that the NHL is corrupt. The sooner you guys realize this the better you'll all be able to handle the disappointment every year.

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#20 JeffTheory3

JeffTheory3

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

#21 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

No, Daniel's hit to Keith was NOT perfectly OK and I'm not full of it. Take off your homer glasses OP. Daniel should have at least gotten 2 mins.

#22 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

He brushed against him, did he continue to play..."Yes"... did Daniel... "No"...'CBS CARES'

#23 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

There was nothing really wrong with that hit. He made a bit of contact with the head with his shoulder but you're out of your mind if you think there was any kind of intent there. Keith flat out didn't expect to be hit by a Sedin there and for once, he was wrong about it. He left himself completely vulnerable and Daniel hit him hard and as cleanly as was possible.

#24 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

clean hit. the nhl is fully corrupt putrid spoiled and rotten to its core and anything less than 10 games for Keith is deplorable, yet somehow almost.....expected?
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#25 breakka

breakka

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

should of been a hit to head 2 minute minor, but that is it.

keith how ever i think should have the book thrown at him despite not being a repeat offender. the elbow to the head was clearly the intent. which in turn makes it intent to injure.

#26 Leahpar

Leahpar

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

does anyone have a video?

#27 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

It's at the top of the page, click on the pic of Daniel

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ncan-keith.html

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 22 March 2012 - 04:59 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#28 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

It wasn't a clean hit, but it wasn't that bad either. He should have got two minutes, although give him a suspension for I care. Keith essentially gave him a "suspension" of his own.

#29 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

I didn't like Sedin's hit. Keith's response was worse. Sedin caught him late in the head and it went unnoticed. Who wouldn't be pissed if they got a shoulder to the jaw after the puck and there was no call? Everyone was watching the puck get dumped out of the zone. In NO way was the Sedin check CLEAN. Take off your crybaby glasses.

Edited by Snowy Hell, 22 March 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#30 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

It must be clean.......the refs. didn't call it...hahaha

formerly......puck n icehole

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.