The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel's Hit On Keith Was Perfectly Ok, Everyone Who Says It Ain't Is Full Of It

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Head shots have to be taken out of the game, so even if you think that Sedin's hit was ok it still has to be penalised. If players know that even accidental and innocent head contact will get penalties then a lot of them will be concious of it. I'd rather see a Sedin get unfairly penalised if it otherwise reduces headshots.

So I'm looking through all the suspensions this season, wondering, how many are for a play that was worse than this?

The Wisniewski one was ugly because it was after the game ended, but I don't recall the guy being injured as a result. Sutton on Landeskog was a vicious headshot but, at least he touched the puck. Carcillo/Gilbert was just brutal, but again it was on a race for the puck. A lot of ugly hits to the head, Letang from Pacioretty stands out for me but it seems like they were all in the course of play, not deliberate attempts to injure away from the play. Marchand's clip was obviously bad in that sense but the puck was right there, and clipping is tough to compare to other stuff because the line is so hard to draw. Didn't like Skinner kicking at that guy one bit, but that was more about potential danger than anything else. Borque on Backstrom is the worst this season so far if you ask me, but even that one he'd just passed the puck and it was arguably lazy and stupid, not malicious and intentional.

So based on that, I say this was the worst suspendable offense so far this season. That's not taking in to consideration who it targeted or the hate between the teams, or possible revenge factor, which make it even worse.

So I'm looking through all the suspensions this season, wondering, how many are for a play that was worse than this?

The Wisniewski one was ugly because it was after the game ended, but I don't recall the guy being injured as a result. Sutton on Landeskog was a vicious headshot but, at least he touched the puck. Carcillo/Gilbert was just brutal, but again it was on a race for the puck. A lot of ugly hits to the head, Letang from Pacioretty stands out for me but it seems like they were all in the course of play, not deliberate attempts to injure away from the play. Marchand's clip was obviously bad in that sense but the puck was right there, and clipping is tough to compare to other stuff because the line is so hard to draw. Didn't like Skinner kicking at that guy one bit, but that was more about potential danger than anything else. Borque on Backstrom is the worst this season so far if you ask me, but even that one he'd just passed the puck and it was arguably lazy and stupid, not malicious and intentional.

So based on that, I say this was the worst suspendable offense so far this season. That's not taking in to consideration who it targeted or the hate between the teams, or possible revenge factor, which make it even worse.

ok I rip on plenty of 'Nuck fans for being total "homers" when it comes to hits, refs, etc. But after watching the two different hits, the biggest difference (that I can see) more than anything is Keith putting his elbow up for contact. You clearly see Daniel's elbow "tucked" as he's coming up to Keith (which is how a check should be made.) Had Keith just kept his elbow down, it would be more of a "eye for an eye" type of hit. Mind you, I didn't try to "time" the lateness of Daniel's hit... I'm just looking at the actual check from both players.

At most, Daniel might have been given a 2 minute penalty (and had Keith kept his arm down, that's probably all he would have been given as well.)

ok I rip on plenty of 'Nuck fans for being total "homers" when it comes to hits, refs, etc. But after watching the two different hits, the biggest difference (that I can see) more than anything is Keith putting his elbow up for contact. You clearly see Daniel's elbow "tucked" as he's coming up to Keith (which is how a check should be made.) Had Keith just kept his elbow down, it would be more of a "eye for an eye" type of hit. Mind you, I didn't try to "time" the lateness of Daniel's hit... I'm just looking at the actual check from both players.

At most, Daniel might have been given a 2 minute penalty (and had Keith kept his arm down, that's probably all he would have been given as well.)

Point one: no penalty was called on the play. The United Center scorekeeper didn't register it as a hit! I've taken the trouble to look through all the comments on the ESPN, SBNation, hfboards, and so forth game feeds. NOT ONE SINGLE COMMENT by anybody on that hit by Sedin until AFTER TSN talked about it. When it actually happened not a single person out of all the Canucks haters that think our guys should be suspended if they sneeze even noticed it!

Archived