The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel's Hit On Keith Was Perfectly Ok, Everyone Who Says It Ain't Is Full Of It

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Actually what bothers me the most is those who claim Daniel actually did that on purpose.

I think we all can agree he is very sportsmanlike, the guy gets about 10 to 15 minors per season.

Then one day out of the complete blue he goes postal trying to hurt guys by aiming for their head? Thats a pretty ignorant observation and I cant digest how anyone buys it.

I CANNOT BELIEVE that people are talking about this hit. People are doing revisionist history here to try and turn this into an anti-Canucks thing however they can. They're grasping at straws.

Point one: no penalty was called on the play. The United Center scorekeeper didn't register it as a hit! I've taken the trouble to look through all the comments on the ESPN, SBNation, hfboards, and so forth game feeds. NOT ONE SINGLE COMMENT by anybody on that hit by Sedin until AFTER TSN talked about it. When it actually happened not a single person out of all the Canucks haters that think our guys should be suspended if they sneeze even noticed it!

Point two: it was a full-body hit, head was NOT the principle point of contact. There was incidental contact to the head, and it was because Keith was admiring his pass, turned away with his head down. That hit happens every other game in this league! Nobody has been suspended for that all season! The Sedins/Kesler absorb that hit ALL THE TIME and it is NEVER called, not even two minutes...but now, it supposedly justifies Keith's headhunting and should be suspendable?

The media/hockey fan community narrative on this situation is an abomination! The double standard against the Canucks is out of control! Do y'all realize that the last time a Canuck received supplemental discipline was Rome on Horton? KEITH'S ELBOW WAS WAY WORSE THAN THAT! That was a hockey hit that was half-a-second late. This was a deliberate intent to injure on the reigning Art Ross/Pearson winner! Away from the puck, as revenge for a clean hit! That got four SCF games, but people are saying Keith should get less than five? IT SHOULD BE MORE THAN TEN! If it isn't after what Rome got, THAT'S A DISGRACEFUL DOUBLE STANDARD.

I know people aren't happy with the Canucks down at NHL HQ because of some of the things that've gone down over the years (Auger/Burrows, Gillis and Henrik calling out officials now and then) but that's not an excuse to play it one way for some teams and differently for others. If we play Chicago in the playoffs and Sedin is out but Keith is in, what will happen? It will be SUPER UGLY. There's players over on their team like Keith and Toews and Seabrook with concussion issues, does the league want to open that can of worms? They need to step up to the plate here or it will be ugly. They need to have a good long talk with Dan O'Halloran as well. If that game had been in Vancouver there would have been big problems. Somebody needs to lay down the law!

Also whatever anyone says should be the number of games Keith got, he should get one more because he got to play in the rest of that game, and he never should have been in there. We lost our top scorer but they got to keep their best defenceman. So, whatever he gets, add one more (or even two) for the one that O'Halloran missed which cost us that game last night.

Danny's hit warranted perhaps 2 minutes.

Keith's hit is exactly the kind of Messier-era bullcrap that the league should looking to get rid of. They should throw the book at him. if Rome's half second late but otherwise legal bodycheck garnered 4 playoff games in the STANLEY CUP FINALS, Keith's flying elbow o an unsuspecting player when the puck is nowhere near should be much, much worse.

Will it be, however? Nope. I suspect Keith gets between 3-5 games. Should be 10+, but it won't happen because this league is a joke.

Keith didn't even miss a shift so it couldn't have been that bad...I saw about a half a dozen hits in tonite's game against the Stars that were roughly the same as that hit Sedin threw, a couple on Burrows, one on Ott, one on Morrow, one on Malhotra...none of them were called two minutes. If you slowed them down and showed the worst angle over and over and put it all over the tv people would be saying the same thing but it happens all the time.

As for Keith's elbow, I can't off the top of my head think of a worse play all year except maybe Backstrom/Bourque. That kind of egregious attempt to injure has been rare, thank goodness. And that it came against the reigning Art Ross and Pearson winner, in the manner it did, well, my opinion is that for Keith not to have an in-person hearing is 100% BS and a complete dereliction of duty on the part of the NHL and player safety department. If you only get five or less games for that, what incentive does anyone have to NOT pick the head of the other team's best players? None, none whatsoever. In fact I would go so far as to say in a work environment where that is five games, if you truly want to win, if you are a real competitor (not a sportsman, but someone who wants to win) it in fact behooves you to throw those elbows at their best players. That is apparently what it takes to win in today's NHL.

I don't think daniel's hit was THAT late but he did make contact with Keith's head with the shoulder, so I agree with everyone, a 2 minute penalty would have been appropriate. However, Keith's elbow was pre-meditated, and ruthless. The guy had NO intent on playing the puck because the puck was 10 feet in the air and he saw danny looking up at it. Also, danny's stick never even touched the ice so that's more proof that he never played it, yet dumbass still moved in and took danny's head off with the elbow, so that fart's excuse that everything happens so fast on the ice and that he thought daniel played the puck is as classless as his mother in bed.

Archived