The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Pgt] - Nux 2-1 Stars

Jaimito

I think to be somewhat realistic, we have to remember last year was probably an aberration (a good one mind you). With several Canucks having career seasons, I think it tends to skew our perceptions somewhat. IMO, the team is having a more average year this year in terms of individual success. As other posters have said, the second line doesn't really have a "play maker" as Kesler and Booth both love to shoot first.

Personally, I hope it wasn't an aberration. Kesler scored 41 goals last yr, there should be every belief that he can do it again - and should expect nothing less. As a coach or owner of this team, I would expect it.

Daniel and Kes were really the only Canucks who had career season last yr. Not only are the Nucks top offensive players not having 'average' seasons this yr - Kes/Hank/Daniel are all on pace to have career worst seasons by a LONG shot. Kes since 2007, Daniel/Hank since 2005. I mean, those are scary numbers. Assuming there is no 'switch' for the playoffs, coupled with the fact none of these guys have ever increased PPG during the playoffs - it's a huge concern. Those are the offensive leaders on this team, there isn't an abundance of depth beyond them (at least not compared to say Pitts, Nash, Detroit etc). You take away the 16 goals Hodgy scored for this team (that they don't have going forward), Canucks would be 10th in the league in 'goals for' - alongside teams like Carolina, Tampa and NYR.

Agree that Tanev was solid once again. What a keeper!

And this is what he does as a skinny lad. Imagine the impact when he fills out.

Edler looked awful at moments, but also played well on the whole

Schneids seems to have more bad luck than anything when he's roaming. But the Canucks should fire their goalie stick handling coach. (I wish it were that easy)

Everyone loves Raymond. Keep the love coming Mase, the potion is at the net.

Burrows is Clutch again, or is Clutch... Burrows :mellow:

Kesler...saving it up for the post season. I don't blame him in a way, considering the last two times, but it still sucks to watch.

From what I caught of the game:

Hank and Raymond playing some inspired stuff.....good to see both getting it going.

Kassian with a stronger game, he's still not at NHL speed though and I noticed this on a few different plays. He has a good eye for the game and reads ice well but plays the puck/man/space at AHL speed. As his speed and reactions quicken he'll get there.

Schneider continues to impress.

Hands up. Who was expecting the Canucks to play ugly tonight.

Surprise!! They played pretty good. The team defence is getting better. Thank God.

Canucks need a very short leash attached to the net for the goalies though.

Canucks have 9 more games to find their playoff form. Also have some time for Daniel to get better. I hope.

This team has lots of potential but minus 1 Sedin is a big hit and it will definately hurt. I won't hesitate to critcize a player for poor play when he deserves it and I will happily praise them for good play when they deserve it.

Fact: This team needs both Sedins to be a serious contender.

you do realize scoring is down league wide? and probably only two or three players are going to score over 40 goals this season? Especially in the West the top scorers are down substantially it isnt as noticeable in the East. A lot more teams are playing a tight defensive (trap) style of game.

Just look at goaltending statistics there are four goalies under 2.0 GAA which is unheard of for a starter this late in the season. Thomas broke league records with a 2.0 last year and now four goalies are well under that.

Our team scoring is not far off from last year because when teams trap you need DEPTH to beat them which we have improved significantly from last year. we are about 16goals off from last year, not bad considering the massive drops in penalty calls from last season.

you do realize scoring is down league wide? and probably only two or three players are going to score over 40 goals this season? Especially in the West the top scorers are down substantially it isnt as noticeable in the East. A lot more teams are playing a tight defensive (trap) style of game.

Just look at goaltending statistics there are four goalies under 2.0 GAA which is unheard of for a starter this late in the season. Thomas broke league records with a 2.0 last year and now four goalies are well under that.

Our team scoring is not far off from last year because when teams trap you need DEPTH to beat them which we have improved significantly from last year. we are about 16goals off from last year, not bad considering the massive drops in penalty calls from last season.

Archived