Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Pgt] - Nux 2-1 Stars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#91 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Personally, I hope it wasn't an aberration. Kesler scored 41 goals last yr, there should be every belief that he can do it again - and should expect nothing less. As a coach or owner of this team, I would expect it.

Daniel and Kes were really the only Canucks who had career season last yr. Not only are the Nucks top offensive players not having 'average' seasons this yr - Kes/Hank/Daniel are all on pace to have career worst seasons by a LONG shot. Kes since 2007, Daniel/Hank since 2005. I mean, those are scary numbers. Assuming there is no 'switch' for the playoffs, coupled with the fact none of these guys have ever increased PPG during the playoffs - it's a huge concern. Those are the offensive leaders on this team, there isn't an abundance of depth beyond them (at least not compared to say Pitts, Nash, Detroit etc). You take away the 16 goals Hodgy scored for this team (that they don't have going forward), Canucks would be 10th in the league in 'goals for' - alongside teams like Carolina, Tampa and NYR.

you do realize scoring is down league wide? and probably only two or three players are going to score over 40 goals this season? Especially in the West the top scorers are down substantially it isnt as noticeable in the East. A lot more teams are playing a tight defensive (trap) style of game.

Just look at goaltending statistics there are four goalies under 2.0 GAA which is unheard of for a starter this late in the season. Thomas broke league records with a 2.0 last year and now four goalies are well under that.

Our team scoring is not far off from last year because when teams trap you need DEPTH to beat them which we have improved significantly from last year. we are about 16goals off from last year, not bad considering the massive drops in penalty calls from last season.

#92 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Did Fiddler make the face again?

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#93 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Still looks cursed to me? :rolleyes:

A face only a mother (and AV) could love... :bigblush:

The curse of Vernon Fiddler's face is broken!
Posted Image

#94 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Agree that Tanev was solid once again. What a keeper!
And this is what he does as a skinny lad. Imagine the impact when he fills out.

Edler looked awful at moments, but also played well on the whole

Schneids seems to have more bad luck than anything when he's roaming. But the Canucks should fire their goalie stick handling coach. (I wish it were that easy)

Everyone loves Raymond. Keep the love coming Mase, the potion is at the net.

Burrows is Clutch again, or is Clutch... Burrows :mellow:

Kesler...saving it up for the post season. I don't blame him in a way, considering the last two times, but it still sucks to watch.

#95 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

anybody notice how huge kassian looks screening the goaltender, takes up half the friggin net.

yep that should be his assignment in the playoffs...like byfuglien did to us...park his big butt in the opposing goalies kitchen.

#96 MistaT

MistaT

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

From what I caught of the game:

Hank and Raymond playing some inspired stuff.....good to see both getting it going.

Kassian with a stronger game, he's still not at NHL speed though and I noticed this on a few different plays. He has a good eye for the game and reads ice well but plays the puck/man/space at AHL speed. As his speed and reactions quicken he'll get there.

Schneider continues to impress.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Canucks, baby!

#97 StanleyCup=HolyGrail

StanleyCup=HolyGrail

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hands up. Who was expecting the Canucks to play ugly tonight.
Surprise!! They played pretty good. The team defence is getting better. Thank God.
Canucks need a very short leash attached to the net for the goalies though.
Canucks have 9 more games to find their playoff form. Also have some time for Daniel to get better. I hope.
This team has lots of potential but minus 1 Sedin is a big hit and it will definately hurt. I won't hesitate to critcize a player for poor play when he deserves it and I will happily praise them for good play when they deserve it.
Fact: This team needs both Sedins to be a serious contender.
Shootouts are entertaining but they are not worth points!!!

Posted Image

#98 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Awesome game for the whole team. No one should be criticized
Schneider played awesome except for one bobble.

It was a good team win. However, some guys played better than others. Without an excellent game from Schneider the Canucks lose this game and a lot of guys get criticized.

On the plus side, obviously Schneider had a great game, and do did Raymond. Also, did anyone notice that Hamhuis and Tanev are an outstanding defensive pairing. I think they would actually be the best shutdown pairing the team could put together.

However, Bieksa only plays his best when he plays with Hamhuis, so they will be shutdown pairing in the playoffs. But if Bieksa and Edler could get solid as a pairing (which I think is unlikely) it would make sense to put Hamhuis and Tanev together and then Salo could play with any of the contenders on the third pairing and make it a solid pairing also.

Without "criticizing", some guys did struggle tonight. Alberts struggled. And, while Malhotra had a good night in the faceoff circle, the rest of his game is still not that strong. I also think Lapierre has faded a bit in the second half. Kesler had a decent game, but it would be nice to see him score again soon.

Edited by JamesB, 22 March 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#99 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

you do realize scoring is down league wide? and probably only two or three players are going to score over 40 goals this season? Especially in the West the top scorers are down substantially it isnt as noticeable in the East. A lot more teams are playing a tight defensive (trap) style of game.

Just look at goaltending statistics there are four goalies under 2.0 GAA which is unheard of for a starter this late in the season. Thomas broke league records with a 2.0 last year and now four goalies are well under that.

Our team scoring is not far off from last year because when teams trap you need DEPTH to beat them which we have improved significantly from last year. we are about 16goals off from last year, not bad considering the massive drops in penalty calls from last season.

Tim Thomas did not break any records with a 2.01 GAA,,there have been many goalies with a GAA under 2. In 1998-99 there was also 4 goalies with a GAA under 2.

#100 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

OK, where are the stats that goal scoring is down, and how significantly? One thing to say it, another to present facts.

There were only 5 players who scored more than 40 goals last season (2 were Canucks). This yr, there are likely 5-7 players who will score 40 or more goals (none of them Canucks). So why can't a Canuck be in that category like they were last year? Cause like I said, they are having career worst seasons.

That's great that a few goaltenders are having better seasons that last year, what does it have to do with Canucks top offensive players having career worst seasons? Canucks don't play Elliot, Lundqvist and Halak every night. There is no direct correlation between those goaltenders and Canucks top players having bad years.

Also, Canucks are on pace to have 20 fewer 'goals for' this season. You deduct Hodgys goals (that they don't have going forward) that's 36 fewer goals than last season. That's significant, as I said, that puts them in company with NYR, Carolina etc etc.

Also, Canucks are on pace to have approx 20 more 'goals against' this season. So not only is goal scoring down, but goals against is up for this team.

#101 ssingh

ssingh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

OK, where are the stats that goal scoring is down, and how significantly? One thing to say it, another to present facts.

There were only 5 players who scored more than 40 goals last season (2 were Canucks). This yr, there are likely 5-7 players who will score 40 or more goals (none of them Canucks). So why can't a Canuck be in that category like they were last year? Cause like I said, they are having career worst seasons.

That's great that a few goaltenders are having better seasons that last year, what does it have to do with Canucks top offensive players having career worst seasons? Canucks don't play Elliot, Lundqvist and Halak every night. There is no direct correlation between those goaltenders and Canucks top players having bad years.

Also, Canucks are on pace to have 20 fewer 'goals for' this season. You deduct Hodgys goals (that they don't have going forward) that's 36 fewer goals than last season. That's significant, as I said, that puts them in company with NYR, Carolina etc etc.

Also, Canucks are on pace to have approx 20 more 'goals against' this season. So not only is goal scoring down, but goals against is up for this team.

That's ok. Detroit lost 11 in a row in the last month of the season they won the cup. It's all good dude. :towel: Honestly...the more energy the Canucks save, the better. Just save it for the playoffs. The game against Chicago yesterday and the Stars game today are two good examples of what to expect from this team. And hopefully there will be much more scoring punch added once Daniel gets back and if Kesler kicks it up a notch. Don''t worrryyyyy. :emot-parrot:
Posted Image

RIP Luc Bourdon
RIP Carly Bragnalo

QUOTE (HiFiclub @ Mar 6 2009, 10:40 AM) We will unload our load on the 'loaded' flames team.

#102 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

That's ok. Detroit lost 11 in a row in the last month of the season they won the cup. It's all good dude. :towel: Honestly...the more energy the Canucks save, the better. Just save it for the playoffs. The game against Chicago yesterday and the Stars game today are two good examples of what to expect from this team. And hopefully there will be much more scoring punch added once Daniel gets back and if Kesler kicks it up a notch. Don''t worrryyyyy. :emot-parrot:

I hear ya, lol.

#103 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

That's ok. Detroit lost 11 in a row in the last month of the season they won the cup.

I'm splitting hairs but I think that was the year they lost to Pittsburgh in the final, 08/09.

#104 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Good road game. Getting better defensively though still too many high quality chances being given up.

Cory really kept them in it early on and played very strong except for theone mistake. Still, up until then his stick handlein had been great and really helped the D clear the zone in a hurry.

Tanev is so calm and reads the play and moves the puck so intelligently. He is playing more physical as well and while he is still filling out, seem sto be able to push guys and maintain position quite well.

Raymond had another strong night and finally got a good bounce.

While Kassian didn't fight, I though his presence was a deterrent in the scrums. He made a nice outlet pass to Hank that led to the BIeksa goal.

Alberts really struggled to keep up and had some pretty bad and dangerous turnovers.

Kesler's line has to start sending somebody to the net. ALl three like to try fo an open shot but nobody's gong to the blue paint. If one of them starts driving into that area, they will start to pot some goals.

Aside from faceoffs Manny looks lost out there. His puck control is brutal. I feel bad for him but he just doesn't seem to be able to handle the puck at all.

#105 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Am I the only one that wants too see Booth with Hank?? Just seems like a match made in heaven with D.Sedin gone.
Posted Image

#106 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Am I the only one that wants too see Booth with Hank?? Just seems like a match made in heaven with D.Sedin gone.

No but Hank has 4 points with Raymond in 2 games. Zach is a skilled enforcer. Leave them together. Daniel can play with Paulson and Hansen

#107 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

I loved that shot of Henrik on the bench getting into it with the Dallas bench. Then the camera shows Raymond and Luongo laughing at whatever was being said. Henrik is playing with some anger and emotion now and it was nice to see.

Posted Image

#108 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

So I did some sleuthing regarding AV's comments about official Dan O'Halloran.

Turns out O'Halloran has officiated 5 Canucks games this yr. In each game, the opponent has had more PP opportunities than Canucks (11-20 overall). This is unusual - you should see at least 2-3 games in which this is not the case.

He is the guy who officiated most the games in the SCF last season. I think, due to AV's comments, Canucks org is having issues with this guy after that series. Likely due to the post-SCF comments about officiating. Perhaps they will, or have, requested no more games with him.

Edited by RunningWild, 23 March 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#109 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

Tanev is an amazing defenseman. Given his decision-making abilities, he is WAY ahead of the curve.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#110 CaNuCk_in_NzL

CaNuCk_in_NzL

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Read the whole PGT and not 1 criticism of AV or the lines. A first! I hope he's done experimenting but time will tell. Great game, well fought but I would still like to see more goals.

A bonus, the game was televised in New Zealand. We get 1 game a week on t.v. so watching it on the big screen instead of the computer or Team 1040 Internet radio was awesome.
Posted Image

#111 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,824 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

I loved that shot of Henrik on the bench getting into it with the Dallas bench. Then the camera shows Raymond and Luongo laughing at whatever was being said. Henrik is playing with some anger and emotion now and it was nice to see.

maybe fiddler made another face.
Posted Image

#112 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

:towel: Huge win after the Chicago game. Great job guys. Way to go Mason!!!!

Anyone else think mike ribeiro is the biggest little bitch in the league? ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.