The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

Keith will respect any decision NHL makes on hit

March 23, 2012, 1:15 pm

Duncan Keith didn’t want to talk much about what happened on Wednesday night, be it the high hit he put on Daniel Sedin put on him or vice-versa. Right now, he’ll just wait for the NHL to decide his fate.

Keith had his phone hearing with Brendan Shanahan this afternoon and said he’ll respect any decision the NHL makes regarding his elbow to Sedin’s head in the Blackhawks’ 2-1 overtime victory over Vancouver. It was another heated game in a rivalry that’s had many, and the Blackhawks may have to prepare for a few games without their top defenseman.

“We’ll see what happens,” Keith said after Friday’s practice. “The NHL will make a decision, I respect all the decisions they make and we’ll see from talking to them what happens.”

TSN reported that the NHLPA and Keith agreed to waive Keith’s right to an in-person hearing. The NHL requested that late Thursday night; his hearing had been set to be via phone earlier in the day. Hearing by phone means a suspension is five or fewer games while an in-person hearing could lead to six or more games.

Daniel Sedin hit Keith high in the first period on Wednesday night before Keith retaliated with an elbow to Sedin’s head. Asked about that first hit on Friday, Keith said, “I’m not going to get into everything about what’s happened.”

Coach Joel Quenneville said the Blackhawks will accept the league’s decision.

“We’ll see how that plays out. We’ve got a lot of respect for the way (the league) handles things, so we’ll see what happens,” said Quenneville of Keith, who has no previous suspensions/fines in the league. “(Keith’s) never done it before, there’s no history there. Whether it’s the play or the emotions or the rivalry, a lot goes into it. That’s where it’s at.”

Yes, there were a lot of emotions in that game, as there always is when the Blackhawks and Canucks meet. Corey Crawford said heading into that game that the Blackhawks had to be careful about getting too engaged in the Canucks’ style of play. Quenneville said Friday that being smart has to come first.

“Every game we’ve seen, whether playoff game or a regular-season game, you have to control your emotions and make sure you think,” he said. “There are certain switches, you’re just reactionary and in the moment of the game, there’s just a reactionary move. That’s something we’ll always focus on moving forward, whether it’s Vancouver or anybody. We need to be smart.”

That’s for future games. For now, Keith and the Blackhawks will just have to wait and see what the NHL says.

“I think I’m a pretty stand-up player out on the ice,” Keith said. “We’ll see what happens.”

http://www.csnchicag...98&feedID=10334

Doesn't matter if the guys 6'7" or 5'7", it was dirty.

...And i it makes you feel better that it wasn't a headshot, alrighty..

Maybe the other player should have some common sense and put on the breaks - might as well tell players they shouldn't be playing hockey because they have to be responsible for what can do to you

Archived