The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

In addition to a meaningless suspension...the refs completely blew the call on tht ice. 5 and a game was obviously the right call (considering it was suspendable) and they gave 2 minutes. Had it been a major, the Nucks may well have scored - different game!! They may well have then had the satisfaction of winning the game. As it stands, they get nothing positive from all this and a big negative having lost Danny. Interesting that the senior ref making the call was O'halloran...the same ref that watched Marchand speed punch Hank in the SCF and then gave Hank a penalty. O'halloran should be calling bingo numbers at senior dance nights not reffing in the NHL.

We can't count on the NHL to do anything to protect our players. There is zero deterrence in this decision. A five-minute major would have provided more deterrence than this suspension. I would have rather Keith got a five-minute major and no suspension than this pathetic excuse for supplemental discipline. The NHL just declared open season on star players for the next half-dozen games or so. Anybody with a clean disciplinary sheet has total permission from Brendan Shanahan and whoever is holding his strings to go out and headhunt the best players on any team they might meet in the postseason. If all you're gonna get is five meaningless games, why would you not? I bet whoever told the Canucks to lay off Keith after the second intermission is regretting it now. If the NHL wants violence to be the only deterrent, and based on this ruling they do, they should be aware of the implications of that. Brendan Shanahan just put the Bertuzzi Solution back on the table. Not necessarily between these two teams, but between some two teams at some point if this is how they're gonna handle this sort of thing.

Big surprise. Keith got no where near what he should have.

So it is OK to plan and then carry out a deliberate intent to injure another player in the eyes of the NHL. Yup, this is a hockey play that got out of hand a little. Here is a little 5 game slap for it.

Proof positive that the NHL has some serious favoritism issues when it comes to certain teams. Sorry folks, but if Ketih isn't wearing a Hawks jersey or that of a few other league favorites. He is gonzo for the rest of the season and probably the first round. This is what I would think the penalty would be had this been a Canuck hitting a Hawk.

Keith's hit was bordering on Bertuzzi level. It is this factor alone that makes this dirty hit stand out above anything else that we have seen recently. It is an outstanding offence and reguardless of who is hit or doing the hitting, this is a most serious crime and the punishment should fit it. Unfortunately, the league which seems to want to eliminate head shots from the game has decided that this incident warrants only a paultry 5 games. What a joke.

Back to the old days boys. The players have no choice but to police themselves as the league clearly has no intention of doing this. So who takes out Keith next time these two teams meet? Good question. If he won't fight what happens, another Bertuzzi incident? The league just sets itself up for more bad news by effectively doing nothing to stop this from happening.

We can't count on the NHL to do anything to protect our players. There is zero deterrence in this decision. A five-minute major would have provided more deterrence than this suspension. I would have rather Keith got a five-minute major and no suspension than this pathetic excuse for supplemental discipline. The NHL just declared open season on star players for the next half-dozen games or so. Anybody with a clean disciplinary sheet has total permission from Brendan Shanahan and whoever is holding his strings to go out and headhunt the best players on any team they might meet in the postseason. If all you're gonna get is five meaningless games, why would you not? I bet whoever told the Canucks to lay off Keith after the second intermission is regretting it now. If the NHL wants violence to be the only deterrent, and based on this ruling they do, they should be aware of the implications of that. Brendan Shanahan just put the Bertuzzi Solution back on the table. Not necessarily between these two teams, but between some two teams at some point if this is how they're gonna handle this sort of thing.

What's really sad is that the NFL just did an outstanding job policing it's own, handing down serious punitive damage to the Saints and sending an appropriate message. NHL had a big chance to mirror that action, class up their act, and show everyone that we can hang with the big dawgs and that we know how to police our own. But as usual they come up with a big giant frikin FAIL.

BTW, SO TRUE that had this been a Caunuck throwing an elbow like that on Keith we'd be one less player for the rest of the season and the entire playoffs. What's also jacked up is this ref. Can't recall his name but I remember he is now responsible for tanking the Canucks on numerous occasions last year. How is it that his INaction is not suspendable/fireable? How is the ref who missed making an obvious call still wearing stripes and earning money? Fracking bu!!$h!t.

I know this has been beaten to death and it was a different "regime" but I can't stop thinking about how pathetic the NHL is with its consistency.

Rome: No previous record. Overall clean hit (north/south hit) other than a fraction of a second late.

Five minute major, ejected from the game.

Gets four games in the SCF

five if you count the ejection.

Gets leaked out Brian Burke was consulted? Who has a well documented beef with the Canuck organization.

Fast forward a year. The crackdown is on.....or so we thought.

Keith: Blatant head shot, leads with his elbow, puck nowhere near the play, clear well documented vendetta.

Two minute minor and is allowed to continue playing the game.

Five game suspention.

This is clearly the league going backwards, all the media hype about the NHL cracking down on headshots is complete rubbish. It almost seems like they are getting lighter on the punishments. Another example A similar time of year would be Raffi Torres two games remaining in the season, last year.

Torres: Leads with his shoulder, makes contact with the players head, hockey play yet case for interference.

Five minute major, ejected from the game.

Four game suspension (two regular season and two playoff games)

I really need to get this off my chest. I love hockey but I'm starting to really hate the NHL's wishy washy way of doing things. I thought the league was going in the right direction at the start of the season, now I think the complete opposite.

On top of everything all the talking heads on TSN were saying three to Keith and one to Sedin.....it really boggles my mind given my examples.

To those of you who took the time to read my whole post thanks.

Five games is a joke, when you consider the following:

• The NHL has made head-hunting the focus for the past year

• Rome got 4 games of the FINALS which translates to about 12 regular season games. Keith's intent and actions were far worse - not to mention, Rome was ejected from the game immediately, which counts for more like 5 games, while Keith got 2 minutes

• It's so trivial to partly base suspensions on players' histories in this case. If they do that, they should also consider the histories of the players who were injured - case in point, Sedin isn't an intigator - the elbow was deliberate and premediated on a player who doesn't normally cause rage in other players

Bottom line, if it was a Canuck player doing that to a Blackhawk, the number of games would be double.

Archived