The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

Fair? fair is, whats good for the goose,is good for the gander

If that happened to Toews and knowing another concussion can end his career

Is 5 games "fair"

Would You honestly have the nerve to say could only have been 3 ??

Come on- Fair is whats good for Everyone

actually, 5 is fair. Doan received 3 games for his elbow, Bourque received 5 for his elbow and he was a repeat offender, and Wisniewski got 8 early this year for his elbow and he is a repetitive repeat offender. so based on previous punishments handed out, Shanahan's decision for 5 games for Kieth seems about right.

actually, 5 is fair. Doan received 3 games for his elbow, Bourque received 5 for his elbow and he was a repeat offender, and Wisniewski got 8 early this year for his elbow and he is a repetitive repeat offender. so based on previous punishments handed out, Shanahan's decision for 5 games for Kieth seems about right.

You are operating on the premise that the Doan and Wisniewski suspensions set the bar and were "fair" .. ANY blatant attempt by another player to attack the head with the intent to injure deserves far more than a few games suspension .. THAT IS THE PROBLEM .. the NHL is NOT addressing this issue and it WILL fall to the players to take matters into their own hands.

Doan, who I think is a cowardly pig-vomitous, REACTED with his elbow when Benn beat him .. there is a huge difference between a reactionary "chicken-wing" elbow and a purposeful attack to the other players head with the point of the elbow .. Keith almost had to leave his feet to accomplish said assault.

If the NHL wants to end this blatant abuse of the rules, then where it is obvious there is "intent to injure', the offender is suspended for a set number of games, PLUS for all the time the injured player is out of the game. If this means some doofus like Matt Cooke loses his career for his attack on Savard, then so be it .. Savard has lost his career as a direct result of Cooke's attack.

Anything less than this approach will mean that "stars" are fair game to anyone with a "clean" history, who can thus jeopardize said "stars" career. PS: Keep yer head up Kane and Toews .. karma awaits

And Rome?

Here's the problem with all of the above that you've presented - they're all insufficient. If they weren't, we wouldn't be having this discussion because they would have already eliminated the frequency of these hits. But, as it stands, they're still happening - it seems moreso than ever?

If these issues aren't addressed in a more severe (consistent) manner, it simply allows for them to gather momentum and develop into something much larger (as was the case in the Bertuzzi incident). Having the big brass in the stands (watching) did little to prevent that series of events from playing out as it did...yet here we are again.

It's all about containment. Same applies with riots, etc. - you have to intervene BEFORE a situation hits the point of no return. A pro active approach that means you step in and take action prior to losing all control.

It's like they're throwing bandaids on a gusher and it's just a matter of time before it all blows again (like it did with the Bertuzzi/Moore situation). No one wanted that - yet measures could have (should have) been put into place to avoid it reaching that point. It seems those who needed to have learned nothing from it at all.

The message isn't hitting home. If the league doesn't protect their own players and teams feel abandoned in that, then frustration mounts and actions are carried out that vent that. It needs diffusing, not explanation.

Shanny had my support initially, however, if we keep having to hear long explanations then perhaps that tells a story in itself? Should be cut and dry by now.

You are operating on the premise that the Doan and Wisniewski suspensions set the bar and were "fair" .. ANY blatant attempt by another player to attack the head with the intent to injure deserves far more than a few games suspension .. THAT IS THE PROBLEM .. the NHL is NOT addressing this issue and it WILL fall to the players to take matters into their own hands.

Doan, who I think is a cowardly pig-vomitous, REACTED with his elbow when Benn beat him .. there is a huge difference between a reactionary "chicken-wing" elbow and a purposeful attack to the other players head with the point of the elbow .. Keith almost had to leave his feet to accomplish said assault.

If the NHL wants to end this blatant abuse of the rules, then where it is obvious there is "intent to injure', the offender is suspended for a set number of games, PLUS for all the time the injured player is out of the game. If this means some doofus like Matt Cooke loses his career for his attack on Savard, then so be it .. Savard has lost his career as a direct result of Cooke's attack.

Anything less than this approach will mean that "stars" are fair game to anyone with a "clean" history, who can thus jeopardize said "stars" career. PS: Keep yer head up Kane and Toews .. karma awaits

i'm operating under the premise of the standard set from previous punishments handed out. Whether you think those punishments were fair or not is irrelevant. I dont necessarily disagree with what you're saying....but based on previous punishments, 5 games was about expected.

I'm surprised no one else picked this up during the Canucks and Blackhawks post game show. I thought it was interesting that Dave Tomlinson thought that Duncan Keith deserved maybe 1 game only for his elbow to Daniel Sedin. Maybe its because I was a fan of Tom Larscheid and enjoyed listening to his genuine enthusiasm for hockey and the team and maybe its because I feel the Canucks radio broadcast is unlistenable now with Tomlinson's dry takes, over analysis and derivative passion for Vancouver hockey. I just believe the Team1040 made a big mistake in hiring DT and I know Im not alone in this, its just that most hardcore Canucks fans dont care because hardly anyone listens to the local broadcast anymore. If the Team1040 wants to change the apathy of the fans on this matter get someone on the air that actually cares about the team.

Quote from Jonathon Toews

"Unfortunately Duncs may have gone a little overboard there. It's a tough suspension, we all feel for him, but it is what it is and it happens."

At least he realized his teammates error, but thats an understatement.

Archived