The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

One thing I forgot to add is I've said since last night I feel it will be 8 games, it's the perfect # for Shanny to send yet another stern warning to these damn players that they are not going to take these blantant attack on heads lightly. I here a lot of passionate fans on CDC who I don't feel always think through what they are saying on here, I'm not saying my opinion is worth anything more than the next persons and I respect everyones opinion on here, but I do feel I definatly put some real thought in all my posts. So when I say blatant attack on heads, it's not being said out of anger and hatred towards Keith like some posters on here, I'm really just saying it for what it was, all the comparrisons to Rome's 4 game suspension I think again is angry and hurt CDC'ers who are looking for blood and guts through a suspension. Rome's suspension is not comparable to Keiths, the standard has shifted from 4 playoff games (admittatedly being worth 8 regualar season games according to the NHL) to now the standard is more around 2-4 games with 5 being considered high through this season.

That being said I again feel this is an excellent chance for Shanny to set the tone for the playoffs coming up that these hits are very serious, and it is a different hit from even Doan's on Benn just days before. Yes the head was targeted in both, but when you watch this replay of Keiths hit (and you don't have to slow it down or watch it from 100 angles to see it) just watch it once and you can see right away your guts say "did he just leap/lunge towards Daniel???" At least that was my first thought watching it live, than of course seeing highlights you see the elbow and the intent. I'm kinda rambling though so to sum it up, 8 games is perfect its the rest of the season and it includes a playoff game which is a strict punishment for someone who is not a repeat offender based on the standard set this year. It will open the door for Shanny to again become a bit harsher heading into the playoffs, 2-3 game suspensions in the playoffs won't look so crazy if you start with an 8 game suspension now.

Of course this all being said, yes I'm sure Shanny does have an agenda that this fits in to, but i'm not implying the suspension is just based around it helping Shanny out. Shanny's job is to punish offenders based on what they have done and how badly they have done it, I believe based on time of year, the fact that the victim was injured, and based on full and obvious intent that this should be 8 games (possibly even 9 but I don't see him giving him 2 playoff games I just don't). I could be wrong he might just give him a measly 4-5 games but 8 makes sense to me. None of this brings back Danny though and we all know that, so as much as we want to see justice it's not going to help bring back Daniel.

wtf is going on with cdc right now???? I don't know if everyone else can see 3 duplicate posts by me but I can and I certainly didn't mean to, I've tried to delete them and than I'll refresh the page and it shows that I haven't made any posts so my appologies, I didn't intend to make 3 posts (now 4 :s)

wtf is going on with cdc right now???? I don't know if everyone else can see 3 duplicate posts by me but I can and I certainly didn't mean to, I've tried to delete them and than I'll refresh the page and it shows that I haven't made any posts so my appologies, I didn't intend to make 3 posts (now 4 :s)

There I finally was able to properly edit them... I took the oppratunity to add a few more thoughts that I had lol as well as I tried to delete the one but it wouldn't let me so I just left it blank.. lol silly board, I thought I was losing my mind but you described exactly what I was trying to say was happening with me to with refreshing the board etc, was crazy.

It gives me little satisfaction until we know how Daniel is doing. We're still without our top player, and all Keith gets is a nice little rest down the stretch.

But the league definitely needs to send a strong message on this one. Players clearly still aren't getting Shanny's message.

Injuries happen in hockey ... they happen in football ... Hell, they even happen in soccer and baseball ... You can't take injuries out of the game ...

What you can take out of the game is deliberate, malicious attempts to injure like what Keith did to Daniel and you need to come down extremely hard on those types of acts, especially when there's little-to-no defense against the hit. What's Keith's defense going to be? "Uhh ... I ... umm ... yeah, ... I had ... like ... a seizure ... and ... ummm ... it caused .... like ... my elbow ... to raise ... to chin level ... and my legs ... to ... um ... propel my body ... and ... yeah ... it wasn't my fault."

Sedin on Keith ? It's legal according to the video sent out to the players by the NHL for one, but even if it weren't, he's making a body check. You can argue it was an accident on that. Marchand's cheap shot on Salo, he came up with a semi-feasible excuse why he did it (although we all know it was a bunch of BS). There's simply no defense for Keith's elbow. None ... Nada ... And when there's clear evidence of malicious intent to injure another player and there's no reasonable or semi-reasonable defense, the NHL needs to come down hard ... and I mean like Bertuzzi, McSorley, etc. type of hard ...

They could suspend him for life and it still wouldn't satisfy me if Sedin isn't back for the playoffs.

Keith deserves a BIG suspension for that. Final 7 regular season games and 3 playoff would be a nice start. League needs to start a new precedent and follow the NFL with suspensions. I thought they did this last SCF by kicking Rome out for the remainder on a hit that was merely a little late...But I guess not.

7 or more games would satisfy me.

Anything less would be considered BS, Shanahan needs to show that "intent" is just that and throw the book at that moron, grow a set of balls and show the players and fans they mean business.

Otherwise if its just a 5 game suspension, why not injure players this way, 5 games is peanuts.

Keith deserves more than 5.

if Romer got 4 gmes in the finals for a half a second late but otherwise legal check, Keith deserves the book being thrown at him for an intentional blindside flying elbow to the head.

What a sack of crap

Archived