The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Duncan Keith Be Charged With Assault On Daniel Sedin?

lukchin

If he flat up said to Danny that he was going to get him, then a lengthy suspension should be handed down for the intent alone. But bringing in the police? Really? Come on man up. This is hockey, and there is no reason or need to have any one else involved other then the NHL. Also to say that a hard elbow pad is just as dangerous as a hockey stick? Really? REALLY? You can't even compare the two, I would love to be hit with 1000 elbow pads over being hit once with a stick anyday

The officiating needs to be looked at too. With 4 officials on the ice etc, they still can't get it right. More refs, no! Go back to one ref. more room on ice and less confusion or missed calls. It is because of the 2 ref system they miss calls or don't "see" things. In any case people pay to see hockey stars who are knocked out of the game because of stupid hits and the league is loosing their mind. There is the possibility Daniel is finished. The fact that Keith wasn't immediately ejected is beyond me. AV doesn't think much of the ref in the Chicago game. He has blown calls before when involved in Canuck games.

Hi all

Here's is an article (http://www.haven4gam...vancouver-news/) I wrote today on this situation, interested to hear what you all think:

You can look at this for rundown of what happened and a retired referee's take on it:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391084

No suspension news yet from the NHL but has anyone asked the question:

Should Duncan Keith be charged with assault on Daniel Sedin?

People will remember the incident between Marty McSorley and Donald Brashear in February 2000. Here is Wikipedia's description of the event:

On February 21, 2000, McSorley, playing for the Boston Bruins, swung his stick and hit Donald Brashear in the head with 3 seconds left in the game. Brashear fell backwards and hit his head hard on the ice as a result of the stick's contact with his head and helmet. As a result of the fall and hard contact with the ice, Brashear lost consciousness and suffered a grade 3 concussion.

As a result of the stick incident, McSorley was charged with assault and suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the 1999–2000 season (including playoffs) missing 23 games. On October 4, 2000, a jury found McSorley guilty of assault with a weapon for his attack on Brashear. He was sentenced to 18 months probation. The trial was the first for an on-ice attack by an NHL player since 1988.

After his assault conviction his NHL suspension was extended to one full year (through February 21, 2001).[2] McSorley would never play in another NHL game.

How is this situation different from Keith / Sedin's? It is alleged that Keith said to Sedin "I'm going to get you" prior to the elbow assault so there's the premediated intent to injure. The only difference is the weapon used, McSorley used a hockey stick while Keith used a very hard hockey elbow pad. They are both hockey equipment and they are both very capable of inflicting damage in an assault if used properly and with intent.

Regardless of the suspension that is placed on Keith by the NHL, in my opinion, this matter should be looked into by the police for assault charges. In a recent CBC article, the injury to Sedin is looking to be very very serious:

The team doctor for the WHL's Vancouver Giants, Dr. Raj Attariwala, says he is concerned that Sedin may have sustained a brain injury.

"It's actually one of the most common times, we actually see people, they're hit in the jaw, the jaw snaps up, it hits the brain, or it hits the skull with tremendous momentum, which will give you a concussion," Attariwala said.

Think about this, if this happened on the streets of any city, would this be allowed to happen without police involvement? I think everyone knows the answer is NO. People will argue that the NHL should police its own matters and for the most part I agree, but in this situation where there is implied intent to injure, the act of injuring and then someone with brain damage, I think this warrants policing outside of the NHL

If he flat up said to Danny that he was going to get him, then a lengthy suspension should be handed down for the intent alone. But bringing in the police? Really? Come on man up. This is hockey, and there is no reason or need to have any one else involved other then the NHL. Also to say that a hard elbow pad is just as dangerous as a hockey stick? Really? REALLY? You can't even compare the two, I would love to be hit with 1000 elbow pads over being hit once with a stick anyday

Archived