The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Don't Get Why People Don't Think Schneider = Top 5 1St Round Pick

I can guarantee you that no team would trade P. Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH or Yakupov for that package. That also wouldn't get you Doughty, Hedman, Seguin, Landeskog, Grigorenko...or Pietroangelo, Duchene, E. Kane, Johansen, Gudbranson, Huberdeau or Larsson.

Schneider does not equal a top 5 pick. Maybe 8-12th oveall but not top 5. There is more than just a few draft positions separating "top 5" players from "top 10" players.

If we are gonna trade Schneids, I for one don't want straight up draft picks. You have to throw a player in there that has already proven himself in the NHL.

To Van: Teddy Purcell

1st round pick

To TB:Cory Schneider

Keith Ballard

With the 1st round pick, I would draft a quality defensemen prospect. Something we haven't had since Luc Bourdon (r.i.p)

Many fans of other teams don't see Schneider like we do. We feel Schneider has proven a lot, not simply by what his stats show but also the way he plays the game. Always square to the shooter, doesn't panic, and has the athleticism to make desperation saves just in case. Other fans simply see Schneider as a potentially another Raycroft or as a product of the Canucks' defensive system even though it's fallen to crap lately. What I find funny is that ever since the all star break, where our defense has been questionable, our goaltenders have really saved this teams ass.

In my opinion, he's worth a top 5 pick and maybe more. The man just has a huge pedigree.

Many fans of other teams don't see Schneider like we do. We feel Schneider has proven a lot, not simply by what his stats show but also the way he plays the game. Always square to the shooter, doesn't panic, and has the athleticism to make desperation saves just in case. Other fans simply see Schneider as a potentially another Raycroft or as a product of the Canucks' defensive system even though it's fallen to crap lately. What I find funny is that ever since the all star break, where our defense has been questionable, our goaltenders have really saved this teams ass.

In my opinion, he's worth a top 5 pick and maybe more. The man just has a huge pedigree.

I think you need to keep in mind that goaltenders in general don't have a ton of value in comparison to the other positions. It isn't every year that you see a Luongo/Thomas final. You don't always need someone that good to win the cup.

Here's a list of top 5 picks over the last 6 years. Ignore team needs. Who would be available for Schneider just based on value alone?

30 players. I have 5 under yes, 21 under no and 4 maybe's. So while there are some players that have been drafted(mostly from 2007) that could be traded for Schneider...generally you're getting a great player in the top 5 that you wouldn't be willing to trade.

Top 5 picks are valued very highly because they provide a team with a young player, full of potential to be something special. Now with that brimming potential you also get them at the age of 18 or in some cases 19. Assuming this player signs an ELC (which most do), you have control of them for the next 8-9 years.

Now take a look at the above list that Greene provided, what would you rather have 8-9 years of those players at significantly less than their market value or Schneider for the next 2 years. We all like to think our players hold more value than they really do but very few players are worth a top 5 pick on draft day. Scouts spend a whole year evaluating top tier talent so that the team can take the best player available, it will take a lot to convince a GM that it is worth giving up this piece.

So while I believe Schneider will garner a very nice package, it will not be for a top 5 pick. You might be able to wrestle a first round pick out of Tampa but you certainly aren't getting an asset like Brett Connolly with it. Schneider maybe a special talent but he is a goaltender and they have historically always been undervalued. I would expect a package like Varlamov got but nothing more.

Well, Gauthier was in the vast minority to choose to trade Halak and keep Price.

Can we make a deal, we bump this thread in 8 years from now, once the top 2 pick reach their peak and we reevaluate this proposition?

If i base myself on the last 5 years draft, more often than not trading Price for one of the 2 overall sound a good deal.

I'd honestly hate to see Schneider go. But I can't wait to see the package he gets us in return. These are the players I would trade Cory for:

Forwards:

- JVR

- Teddy Purcell

- Joffery Lupul

- Rick Nash

- Jordan Eberle

- Taylor Hall

- Brayden Schenn

- Dustin Brown

- Brett Connolly

- Corey Perry

- Blake Wheeler

- Bryan Little

Defensemen:

- Zach Bogosian

- Luke Schenn

- Tyler Myers

- Victor Hedman

- Braydon Cobourn

- OEL

- Alex Pietralangelo

- Erik Karlsson

- Shea Weber

Goalies:

Any back up that is solid and provides a veteran presence.

• 3 weeks later...

Talent wise Cory is the best young goalie on the market but his value may not get a top 5 pick straight up simply because teams with other respectable goalie prospects can undercut the asking price. For example Boston may shop RFA (due for a raise) Tuukka Rask who is just as NHL ready and has said he wants to get more playing time. If Boston isn't demanding a top 5 pick in return a team may be more interested in going that direction.

With that being said I wouldn't be shocked if Cory did net a top 5 pick if someone was just that confident on him.

the way i see it is that edmonton would trade their pick, but they have dubnyk now and he seems prime to go, so no there.

I can see maybe columbus budging, but they have mason grooming well.

Toronto is our best bet, 5th overall? worthy

As people have pointed out, the best comparable situation to Schneiders is Varlamov's. If Varlomov can get a first (11th overall) and a second, we definetly shouldn't get any less for Schneider.

Don't count on him going to Edmonton or Toronto any time soon. All the talk about Edmonton trading down to get a goalie or defensive depth makes zero sense. You don't trade Stamkos, Crosby, Kane, Tavares etc... for "depth". In my opinion Edmonton takes Yakupov, runs with the young guns of Yakupov, Hall, Nugent Hopkins, and Eberle, making Gagne, Paajarvi, and Hemsky trade bait for either a defenseman or goalie. Toronto I can't see happening just because Burkes arrogance and history with Gillis will prevent a deal from happening.

Tampa Bay just seems to make the most sense for both teams needs.

To Tampa: Cory Schneider, our 1st

To Vancouver: Brett Connolly, 10th overall ( Morgan Reilly/ Griffin Reinhart/Jacob Trouba)

Tampa gets their main building blocks in place for the future with Stamkos, Hedman, Schneider, and still keeps 2 first round picks for this years draft (Vancouvers and Detroits)

Vancouver basically does a mini rebuild with a top 10 forward, and top 10 defenseman without giving up much that affects the current team.

A future of Kassian, Connolly, Jensen, and Schroeder sounds pretty good to me, and we would at least have a start on D.

Now of course the biggest question.... If Luongo has a playoff meltdown, or Schneider takes over and outperforms Luongo... do we even trade Schneider at all.

Archived