The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duncan Keith Suspended For 5 Games

Guest AriGold

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

“I can attest to this as a player, if you ask me if I’d rather have a four-game suspension in November than a one-game suspension in the playoffs, I’d take the four-game suspension in November,” Shanahan said. “If you think about it, that one game in the finals is the equivalent of a 12-game suspension.

Actually I was just on a Chicago msg board and a lot of them are complaining about the harsh suspension. The bttom line is in a situation like this the player that gets hurt is the big loser, His team is also hurt. The offender loses a pretty big chunck of cash as a punishment, and thats it. Backstrom hasn't played since Bourque elbowed him, and he likely wont if Washington makes the playoffs, How is the 5 games Keith got any more an injustice than the 5 games Bourque got? The time of the year is inconsequential

let's move on and hope we get danny back for the playoffs.....the canucks will have to step up to cover for danny.....we should get behind them and support their required efforts...duncan got what the league deemed to be satisfactory....go canucks go...

I am not surprised that the Chicago fan are crying about the 'harsh' suspension, a lot of them on both this board, the Chicago board and even FB were saying that Danny deserved being hit because of his earlier 'vicious' hit on Keith. <_<

There's no point comparing daddy Campbell's decisions with Shanahan's, that's like comparing apples and oranges. If anything, compare this suspension to Doan and Bourque's, it's reasonable considering Keith isn't a repeat offender.

IMO if the league REALLY wants to send a message, all these headshots should warrant more serious penalties.. but who are we kidding, it IS the NHL.

Well..if that's how their minds work, they shouldn't have any problem if Bitz drives Keith's face thorugh the glass and decapitates him next time they meet.

That line of thinking is just wrong and leads to nothing but escalation.

The league IS a huge part of the problem. Players are frustrated by the game management of the refs; by the ever-changing rules; the inconsistency of calls. Daniel should have been penalized for his hit...that may have been enough to defuse the situation, maybe not but drustration leads to retaliation and the league is mismanaging it eveyr step of the way from the on-ioce officials to the disciplinary hearing to teh board of governors. Real, honest hockey is the casuality of the corporate model adopted under Bettman's tenure.

You guys can whine as much as you can. What's done is done, deal with it. I think it's a little less then I would want, but reasonable, Keith will have a huge mark on his sheet, and if he does it again, he'll get even more. Keith misses some important games, and gets a nice big chunk of his pay taken out.

So, in Shanahans eyes, Rome got suspended for an equivalent of 48 reg season games (over half a season). The Rome hit was controversial, was NOT a heat hit, considered more of a 'late' hockey play.

Duncan Keith doesn't even get suspended for an equivalent of 1 playoff game. The hit was controversial, WAS a head hit, puck was no where near and NOT a hockey play.

The NHL justice system is so inconsistent it's disgusting. They say one thing, then do another. I just hope Danny is ok - or will be ok soon.

Cmon people, take the 'homer' glasses off. 5 is beyond reasonable. It was cheap, dirty and caused injury, but it IMO, wasn't the vicious type that warrants 10+ games....On top of the 5 games loosing 150,000$ is a deterant no matter how much money you make.

Shanny was more than reasonable

The suspension is inline with other similar elbows of that type this year. The NHL can't all of a sudden part way through a season start throwing out much larger suspensions. The players union would have a fit.

They do need to address this in the off season and make head shots a much longer suspension with larger fines.

Intent?

It's only mentioned that Kieth denied any intent, and Shanahan goes on in a matter that implies acceptance. So, two key points missed?

I voted "not happy," though 5 was exactly what I was expecting. I don't think I'd be happy with any number.

Archived