The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin Concussion [Confirmed]

CoreyPerry

wish daniel a healthy recovery. nhl needs to take a tougher stance on concussion situations. as soon as a doc confirm its a concussion, the offender sits out the same # of games as the injured player.

p.s. this is raymond's time to shine in dan's absense, he better step up and the last 2 games he has shown he can produce.

Yeah no. You can't have a functioning powerplay without your top-scorer. The best way to deal with this (because a 5 game suspension isn't really dealing with anything) is to take matters into our own hands and target their skilled players.

Toews currently has a concussion so we know he has a history. If we face Chicago in another series I want to see every single Canuck hit Toews and hit him hard. Hit him high if they have to, even the occasional border-line hit is worth it. Sadly, that's how you win in this league now, its how Boston won last year so the Canucks should get on board.

I would be overly extatic to see Kassian throw a shoulder to Toews' head and knock him out for the series. Sure Kassian will get a 5 game suspension, but we knock out their MVP for the series. As dirty as that sounds, sadly it is now a strategy in the NHL. This league has gone to hell so we might as well play a little bit evil.

k try and look at this another way... we are with out daniel well we can now say we split the twins up and see just how hank does... if i remember correctly hank kicked butt with out daniel for most of the season two seasons ago.... we will be fine... and you can't tell me you rest all you hope on the twins.... no we will win and we will be fine.... sorry daniel but i think its for the best and i wish you a speedy recovery.

People loved to complain about the Sedin twins for three weeks but now that Danny is unfortunately injured, it seems like most people are in a panic and think/realize we might not be able to go very far.

Save for a few people, I guess CDC really doesn't know what it has until its gone.

BTW, if Daniel was the one who delivered the check on Keith and got suspended, nobody would look at the five game suspension as a "rest". It would look more along the lines of how the league constantly tries to screw us over by taking out our star player.

People loved to complain about the Sedin twins for three weeks but now that Danny is unfortunately injured, it seems like most people are in a panic and think/realize we might not be able to go very far.

Save for a few people, I guess CDC really doesn't know what it has until its gone.

BTW, if Daniel was the one who delivered the check on Keith and got suspended, nobody would look at the five game suspension as a "rest". It would look more along the lines of how the league constantly tries to screw us over by taking out our star player.

If Dan has a serious concussion this issue is important and deadly.

This is in the 'career and life altering injury' department.

Where is management's response to protecting their stars and providing a deterrent on the first unit and first unit PP ?

This lack of urgency on Gillis' part over the last years is illogical and ignorant and now one Sedin has suffered a potential,deadly,life altering brain injury.

Yeah no. You can't have a functioning powerplay without your top-scorer. The best way to deal with this (because a 5 game suspension isn't really dealing with anything) is to take matters into our own hands and target their skilled players.

Toews currently has a concussion so we know he has a history. If we face Chicago in another series I want to see every single Canuck hit Toews and hit him hard. Hit him high if they have to, even the occasional border-line hit is worth it. Sadly, that's how you win in this league now, its how Boston won last year so the Canucks should get on board.

I would be overly extatic to see Kassian throw a shoulder to Toews' head and knock him out for the series. Sure Kassian will get a 5 game suspension, but we knock out their MVP for the series. As dirty as that sounds, sadly it is now a strategy in the NHL. This league has gone to hell so we might as well play a little bit evil.

Remember how that turned out last time for us? Retaliation and revenge can go terribly wrong. While I agree that we should continue to play these guys hard and stand up to them, to target them with intent to injure is not right. We'd be absolute hypocrites to suggest it is.

There are people here expressing concern over the message this sends to the kids who may read this. To suggest the answer is following up with more dirty play isn't the answer....you do it the right way. Yes, I agree you hit them (even Toews) every chance you get...but you don't aim for the head. I know our team won't - they lead, they don't follow. They go against the grain and I've never seen them intentionally throw out a dirty hit. Don't want that to change.

Knock him out the right way - with a solid hit delivered within the rules. Make their dirty hits stand out as just that - if they start becoming the norm or part of the game plan, then we're all in trouble. I don't feel our guys should ever consider changing their game by resorting to that...would be a sad day.

As angry as we are (and I know it's necessary to vent), let's not suggest our guys should become dirty thugs like the ones out there now. Their time will come.

Guest Dasein

Like mentioned, get to the 2nd round, and we could very well have Daniel back by then as that gives him plenty of time to recover, recuperate, and get fully healthy.

The first round starts April 11th, and counting today as rest and recuperation, Daniel will already have 19 days (2 weeks and 5 days, if that's easier) of rest. And that's just from now to April 11th. Second round started on April 29th for us last year, although we did start round 1 on April 13, so there is some different dates and such.

So say we make it to the 2nd round, and we start the 2nd round on say April 28th. From now, until April 28th, that's 37 days (5 week and 2 days of rest) of rest for Daniel to heal up and get the proper treatments for his concussion.

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but then again, it depends how serious Daniel's symptoms are. Those potential 5 weeks could be very beneficial to Daniel, and he could be back then.

Just trying to stay positive here.

Urgh, that really sucks :( Just really hoping that it's a minor one, and for a speedy recovery.

I've lost my respect for Keith. It's too bad, I thought he was better than this. The suspension was a complete joke, thank you Shanny.

On another note, when is Bitz going to get another call up?

Like mentioned, get to the 2nd round, and we could very well have Daniel back by then as that gives him plenty of time to recover, recuperate, and get fully healthy.

The first round starts April 11th, and counting today as rest and recuperation, Daniel will already have 19 days (2 weeks and 5 days, if that's easier) of rest. And that's just from now to April 11th. Second round started on April 29th for us last year, although we did start round 1 on April 13, so there is some different dates and such.

So say we make it to the 2nd round, and we start the 2nd round on say April 28th. From now, until April 28th, that's 37 days (5 week and 2 days of rest) of rest for Daniel to heal up and get the proper treatments for his concussion.

So, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but then again, it depends how serious Daniel's symptoms are. Those potential 5 weeks could be very beneficial to Daniel, and he could be back then.

Just trying to stay positive here.

Shut the hell up!! If Daniel did the exact same thing to Keith, I would be the first to say he should be suspended for more than 5 games. Fortunately the Sedins would NEVER stick out an elbow like that...they are way above that crap. They may embellish or not fight back trying to get a PP(take it for the team) but they wouldn't ever intentionally try and injure someone. And that pisses me off even more....yah big tough Duncan Keith going after a Sedin.....what a feline. He probably made sure Kassian or Bieksa weren't on the ice too.

I apologize if I made a bit of a generalization but I'm just saying that IF that case were to ever happen, most people(CDCers) would be complaining about him getting suspended and wouldn't see it as a "rest" or whatever most people think the NHL has done with this Keith situation. I am in NO WAY saying that an elbow would EVER be acceptable, and I'm well aware the Sedins are above that level in terms of class and respect on the ice.

Archived