The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying To Break Down The Reason As Of Why The Canucks Are The Most Hated Team In The League

Stefan

Following the details of Duncan Keith's suspension, I started to wonder why, or what granted us the title of the most hated team in the league (and potentially the world, according to some media folk).

Angered and bitter about the hit, and the witness to countless other dirty hits this year leading to (I believe) a record setting amount of concussions I decided to do some investigatory work.

WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY BE?

TL:DR version:

We haven't been suspended more times than Chi/Bos in last 3 years.

We have legitimate complaints if we're referred to as "whiners"

We've rioted, but so has the rest of the world in regards to sports. (Amnesia?)

Our players, while getting suspensions, usually, if not always have the decency to apologise

So I started with the obvious.

The Canucks are the most hated team because "They're the dirtiest team in the league".

Maybe! Maybe me being a Canucks fan has blinded me, and diluted the truth.

So, I took a look at my good ol' pal wikipedia for some suspensions...

So far, this year, the Canucks have 0 suspensions. This is the second year of our illustrious "most hated team in the world" title. (We're #1!) So, it isn't fair to just judge this prestigious award on just one year.

Oh, for the record, the well respected, and universally loved Bruins, and Blackhawks both have 3 each. The bruins have 2 fines.

http://en.wikipedia....sions_and_fines

Moving onto the 2010-11 season, I dig up some good stuff. We had been suspended 3 times, and fined twice! Nasty! I can see why people hate us.

Rick Rypien, altercation with a fan. Definitely not classy, but nothing "too severe". No one was hurt, and if I remember correctly Rick apologised. He was also going through some tough times, but I won't get into that too much.

Next up, Torres with a 4 game suspension for a pretty bad hit. I'll be honest, I didn't like it. Notch one to our belt. Aaron Rome's was a little hard to gauge. The hit was a bit late, sure, but he's not known to go head hunting or anything.

He also had the decency to apologise, and not rub it in his face as seen here by the Chicago Blackhawks

where after Morrison was hit, and limping off the Hawks decided to taunt him. Classy!

http://www.zimbio.co...appy+Blackhawks for his comments regarding it.

The Bruins had 2 suspensions, and 2 fines

Chicago had 2 suspensions.

We had 2 suspensions, and 3 fines in 09/10

Anyways, so it's clear that we don't have a perfect record, but neither does Boston, or Chicago, and I hear most of this "most hated team in the universe" crap from these guys.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're likely not hypocrites.

Moving on, I exercised the possibility that we whine too much.

One thing I do see is: Canucks fans do like to whine!

Is it warranted? Tough to say, since I'm a fan, and like to whine too! I think any fan of their team whines when a call BLATANTLY doesn't go their way, when it should:

Here's a few examples, blackhawks, bruins fans, please feel free to throw your opinion in if you're here.

First example is Daniel Sedin's disallowed goal versus the Kings in the playoffs.

I won't get into it, because it's ridiculous. If you somehow agree with the NHL's ruling you're either blind, or employed by the NHL. That's a fact.

The "explanation"

The "no penalty" call/non call.

Type in Brad Marchand Canucks in youtube. When half the videos are of him doing ridiculous, dirty, disgusting crap, you know he's a class act.

And the Canucks are whiners for thinking otherwise. This guy has a bright future if someone doesn't decapitate him for being the dirtiest player in the league before he reaches 30.

Alright, so we kinda whine a bit, but there's a few exmaples of why.

Nothing no other fan of another team would do.

Ok, ok, so maybe it's because we rioted.

TWICE!

So does the rest of the world:

http://www.totalpros...e-sports-riots/

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone else help me out?

I also don't feel Chicago, or Boston is jealous of us. Chicago's got a good team, and Boston has a deal with the refs to let them do anything they want in the playoffs.

It has to be something deeper.

Its real simple, before guys like Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, Bieksa developed into the great leaders and players they are today, they all had their issues with cheap, dirty tactics plus diving and whining to the officials. We also had guys like Ruutu and Cooke here.

Those types of things are not easily forgotten, no matter how hard you work to put them behind you. After that, you have guys taking LESS MONEY (an absolute NO NO to the NHLPA) to stay here. Then add on that we have a great team now and it is easy to hate us.

It just means we are awesome

Guest AriGold

My cousin lives in Edmonton and hates the canucks with a passions. His biggest reason is the fans.

He says we celebrate alot for having accomplished nothing. We are mostly fair weather fans ( which is true, when the playoffs hit the canucks fanbase goes up 500%)

Guest The Brown Burrows

How about the players that we've got on this team.

- Ryan Kesler

- Alex Burrows

- Maxim Lapierre

- Kevin Bieksa

- Jannik Hansen

- Aaron Rome

- Andrew Alberts

Former Canucks:

- Raffi Torres

- Rick Rypien

- Shane O'Brien

- Darcy Hordichuk

All of these guys are annoying to play against.

My cousin lives in Edmonton and hates the canucks with a passions. His biggest reason is the fans.

He says we celebrate alot for having accomplished nothing. We are mostly fair weather fans ( which is true, when the playoffs hit the canucks fanbase goes up 500%)

Nobody "likes" a good team, except for the fans of that team.

Who, other than an Oilers fan, liked them in the Gretzky years? Who liked "Whine"? They respected his ability, but they found reasons to hate him.

Who liked Semenko? Who liked Messier? Who liked any of them, ever?

Come to think of it, I thought Gregg was okay, once he played here, but I never liked Messier, and disliked him even more once he got here. So, take that as you will.

regards,

G.

Guest AriGold

He laughed so hard when we blew the confetti all over the ice when we won the presidents trophy... Said Edmonton was all collectivly laughing as us for celebrating finishing 1st in the retard race.

We are mostly fair weather fans ( which is true, when the playoffs hit the canucks fanbase goes up 500%)

This is something I don't agree with.

When any team in any sport makes the playoff, interest goes up, more people pay attention, and the people who were already following the team cheer more. It's a universal effect on every fanbase. You'll see it in Vancouver, Chicago, Montreal, etc. Not Toronto for obvious reasons. The bandwagon idea is something fans put forward to discredit other fans, nothing more.

I honestly get a little sad whenever bandwagoning is mentioned here because it does little more than fracture the community for no reason.

Archived