The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying To Break Down The Reason As Of Why The Canucks Are The Most Hated Team In The League

Stefan

We're a pretty easy target.. They can make fun of our lack of Cups and magnify every little antic the Canucks have done. The Burrows incident still gets talked about by some fans (go to Chicago boards, or just anywhere where fans can post comments). It seems like others want a reason to hate us, so they'll just keep on piling needless things and that will add to it. The media doesn't help either, when they label Canucks many things.

We're also labelled as professional divers, which every team more or less does. I haven't seen too much of it this season from the Canucks though, but obviously we have players that try to draw penalties, but what team doesn't?

Our fans get a bad rep, when the dim-witted ones troll with their lack of logic and use of swear words. The riots didn't help either, but no one will bother to recognize the thousands of people who came the next morning to clean up. Every large fanbase has idiot fans, but they also have true, passionate fans.

One thing I will NEVER understand, is the "Sedin Sisters" comments that are made in the regular. I can't even bother to argue with someone that calls them that because they probably don't know what an Art Ross Trophy is.

Oh, it's easy to explain. Toronto, Boston, Chicago, those are the big markets. They're also our enemies. They have more people, more media, more fans, more influence. When they put the propaganda out there, they do it big-time. They do it repeatedly until it sticks, and take it so far over the top and so far from reality that the cognitive dissonance breaks peoples' ability to appreciate facts or to think rationally. It's as much a part of the game as the game on the ice, and as well as the Canucks have played on the ice the last few seasons, as good a team as we've put together, we're badly behind in the volume and intensity of our propaganda.

We haven't stayed on-message either, we've wavered between an aggravating, let em say what they will attitude, and a pro-sportsmanship, we're a clean team attitude. Our fans haven't really gotten the big picture yet, I don't think people generally understand the way larger forces are working against this team. I'm not saying anything conspiracy-wise, but what I am saying is that there's a lot more than the game on the ice going on. There's logistics, propaganda (or "media relations" if you will) there's relations with the league bodies and the officials' organizations, there are all these areas where the Canucks as an organization are either unable or unwilling to compete.

People need to take a "total war" mentality going forward. People need to understand that "if you're not with us you're against us." People need to cut out the criticism of this or that player, stop looking inward and start looking outward. The enemies are on the outside, they are moving against us. Luongo is not the enemy, or Raymond; Toronto and New York and Chicago and Boston and even Alberta are the enemies and we need to circle the wagons. We can't tolerate people whose loyalty is suspect. If there's internal divisions like there are in our fanbase that's a weakness the enemy can exploit. Just look at all these people accepting that maybe Sedin should have been penalized or even suspended (!) for his little hit on Keith. Disgraceful!

Playoffs are war, and in war you don't criticize your nation or give comfort to the enemy, even if they are right they are the enemy and so they are wrong. That's the mentality we need going forward as a fanbase.

Oilers fan hate us well they should were their rival, so should the flames and Wild and Avs I dont care if were hated doesnt affect me. Simply this I hope Oilers fan are watching because in 3-4 years when theyre a power house enjoy the screw jobs from the league. The Nhl doesnt need canada to win we pay regardless, I hate toronto because of their fan but atleast they still show up when their team stinks year after year Real fans and i respect you for this but for this you will recieve zero cups, .The NHL is a buisness, they need to create fans in markets that have none you do not accomplish this by screwing that said team. Chicago just recovered from Poverty from a moron owner that blacked out games to try to sell tickets, they just got strong again the nhl cant afford to screw that up. Heres the thing plain a simple and i direct this at a fan of any other team can you tell me that Aaron romes late hit on Horton, was worse than what Keith did because in the eyes on Shanny it was. Can you also tell me that if Keith had done that to Crosby he wouldnt have been given a much worse suspension. The worse hit ive seen i the last year is Steckle on Crosby that one still pisses me off, not for Pittsburgh but for Hockey. These hits need to be punished really punished. NHL needs to learn from they're big brother NFL until than its just a hippocratic joke. Shanahan/Campbell say jackass with no balls to do whats right. If it was a canuck that did the dirty deed and got 10-15 games i would be pissed but happy if that was the new norm 10-15 for a dirty senseless hit.

If Toronto ever pulls together a winning season where they make the playoffs, they are guaranteed to be the most hated team. In fact, they already are, but because media is based there, they need to find other targets.

I honestly think it's the media from cities of teams we're rivals with. They'll state some garbage, and the fans will buy it. Then add to that that most so called "hockey fans" don't really know anything besides what the media tells them. The cycle continues until it reaches every fan base, which at this point, it has.

Vancouver is hated because we are guilty of two things

1.) We are a successful club that is beating other major named teams in huge sports media hubs (i.e Chicago, Toronto)

2.) We didn't win the stanley cup, thus making it easy for people to look down on us and taunt us. Suddenly every single remotely 'dirty' play is magnified and becomes a caricature of Vancouver.

Victory forgives everything, it certainly wiped away whatever sins Boston committed during their playoff run. I can guarantee that if Boston had lost, we'd be hearing less about how Burrows bites people and more about how karma caught up with Chara, Boychuk, Marchand and breaking backs.....instead their style of play gets elevated onto the pedestal of 'good ole fashion canadian hockey'

We are caught in that weird limbo between being hated because we are successful, yet, being ridiculed and looked down upon because we failed to take the cup.

I would much rather have a great team everyone else hates than a mediocre/poor club that other teams feel pity or ridicule for (Oilers/Flames/Habs/Leafs) Notice a pattern? Other than the Sens, all the other Canadian teams are a mess.

It's not Vancouver's fault those teams can't ice a decent lineup.

Let em hate the Canucks, I hope the Canucks make their lives miserable.

(Edit: I forgot about Winnipeg , lol. Still hasn't really sunk in that they are back)

Why are we hated?

We win. A lot.

That's usually all it takes.

But if you need more, highlights each night usually involve at least one beautiful Canuck play or save. Players get tired of being embarrassed on the replays every 15 minutes on TSN. Fans are tired of their teams being embarrassed by a couple of redheaded swedish twins and a non-drafted frenchie.

I hated the Av's when they used to school us regularly, hated Forsberg for stealing Nazzy's Art Ross in the last game of the season. But there's no denying the Av's were awesome, even with db's like Claude Lemieux. At least I have the balls to admit it, which is more than can be said of the majority of forum members and club reporters across the NHL.

I'm sure I could come up with more valid reasons... but to be honest I can't be bothered. I'm tired of trying to rationalize with ignorant people, who parrot what they hear on cbc and read online. You could bludgeon them with logic and fact till your dying day and it probably won't change a single person's mind. If people don't like my team, who gives a rats ass. I love my team. Do I really want knuckledragging neanderthal's who aren't capable of independant thought following my club anyway?

Embrace the hate. Hell I say give em more reason to hate us. No more of this "sportsmanship" by putting out a 3rd tier PP unit when we're leading by 3 in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd. Run the score just like Boston, Chicago or Pittsburgh do. Beat them on the scoreboard, beat them in the corners. Do it cleanly but without mercy or hesitation.

Their tears will taste all the sweeter from Lord Stanley's mug.

Archived