The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying To Break Down The Reason As Of Why The Canucks Are The Most Hated Team In The League

Stefan

What I'll never understand is the vilification of Burrows over these two incidents.

Apparently he's a girl because of this.

Burrows fights Keith, it's a terrible fight obviously, mostly grappling. They've positioned themselves awkwardly and are falling to the ice. Burrows grabs Keith's Hair and Keith rakes his fingers across Burrows Eyes and Mouth.

What a Girl does = Pulling Hair

What a Man does = Clawing at someone's face.

Yup makes sense to me.

In the SCF an after the whistle scrum ensues and Bergeron decides to face wash Burrows as he's being restraint by an official. Bergeron decides to use his thickly gloved finger as a tongue depressor by shoving it into Burrows mouth. At this point it's alleged that Burrows bit down as he struggled to free his restrained arm and hand to pull the tasty glove from out of his mouth.

What a Girl does = Bites someone's Finger

What a Man does = Shove their Finger into an unsuspecting Girls mouth.

He must be some first date.

What I'll never understand is the vilification of Burrows over these two incidents.

Apparently he's a girl because of this.

Burrows fights Keith, it's a terrible fight obviously, mostly grappling. They've positioned themselves awkwardly and are falling to the ice. Burrows grabs Keith's Hair and Keith rakes his fingers across Burrows Eyes and Mouth.

What a Girl does = Pulling Hair

What a Man does = Clawing at someone's face.

Yup makes sense to me.

In the SCF an after the whistle scrum ensues and Bergeron decides to face wash Burrows as he's being restraint by an official. Bergeron decides to use his thickly gloved finger as a tongue depressor by shoving it into Burrows mouth. At this point it's alleged that Burrows bit down as he struggled to free his restrained arm and hand to pull the tasty glove from out of his mouth.

What a Girl does = Bites someone's Finger

What a Man does = Shove their Finger into an unsuspecting Girls mouth.

He must be some first date.

I think it's the difference between trying to be tough and actually being tough.

Until recently the Canucks have played tough without really having the right personnel for the job. Although guys like Burrows and Lapierre (and Kesler back in the day) are tough, they're not seen that way in the media. They're seen more as pests and their acts are therefore dirty.

Other teams, like the Bruins and the Hawks (especially the version that won the cup), aren't/weren't seen as dirty even though they play the same way the Canucks do. I think it's because of their personnel. Guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Seabrook, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc. are all seen as tough. Even when they do something dirty/cheap, they get the benefit of the doubt.

It's a double standard based on perceptions, reputations, and old fashioned (out dated?) ideas of what it means to be tough/manly. It's unfair too. But I think it's also changing (for the Canucks at least). Lapierre has reformed his game. He hits, fights, and plays a simple physical style. New guys like Weise, Pahlsson, and Booth, although not tough, play a hard-working, grinding style that is respected in the league, and Kassian is a legitimate tough guy. The Canucks now have the personnel to actually be tough and it's starting to show.

After the Keith hit in Chicago, the Canucks stood up as a team. Bieksa and company got after Keith, Kassian got in Seabrook's face, Lapierre and others pounded the Hawks' D. Although Keith never really got what he deserved, I came away thinking - for the first time in a long time - that the Canucks were legitimately tougher than the Hawks. They weren't trying to play with the big boys or pestering the truly tough, they are big and tough. Even through the Hawks won, they backed down physically - and that, to me, is more important than retaliating on Keith.

I may be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks get more respect for their physical game in these playoffs. They have the right guys to do it, guys who are supposed to play that way, who play it the right way, and will be applauded for it. I think that's what Gillis has been trying to do, not create a team that's respected but create one that is capable of playing that type of game on a regular basis. A team that doesn't just try to be tough but actually is tough.

Edited for spelling.

How about the players that we've got on this team.

- Ryan Kesler

- Alex Burrows

- Maxim Lapierre

- Kevin Bieksa

- Jannik Hansen

- Aaron Rome

- Andrew Alberts

Former Canucks:

- Raffi Torres

- Rick Rypien

- Shane O'Brien

- Darcy Hordichuk

All of these guys are annoying to play against.

I think it's the difference between trying to be tough and actually being tough.

Until recently the Canucks have played tough without really having the right personnel for the job. Although guys like Burrows and Lapierre (and Kesler back in the day) are tough, they're not seen that way in the media. They're seen more as pests and their acts are therefore dirty.

Other teams, like the Bruins and the Hawks (especially the version that won the cup), aren't/weren't seen as dirty even though they play the same way the Canucks do. I think it's because of their personnel. Guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Seabrook, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc. are all seen as tough. Even when they do something dirty/cheap, they get the benefit of the doubt.

It's a double standard based on perceptions, reputations, and old fashioned (out dated?) ideas of what it means to be tough/manly. It's unfair too. But I think it's also changing (for the Canucks at least). Lapierre has reformed his game. He hits, fights, and plays a simple physical style. New guys like Weise, Pahlsson, and Booth, although not tough, play a hard-working, grinding style that is respected in the league, and Kassian is a legitimate tough guy. The Canucks now have the personnel to actually be tough and it's starting to show.

After the Keith hit in Chicago, the Canucks stood up as a team. Bieksa and company got after Keith, Kassian got in Seabrook's face, Lapierre and others pounded the Hawks' D. Although Keith never really got what he deserved, I came away thinking - for the first time in a long time - that the Canucks were legitimately tougher than the Hawks. They weren't trying to play with the big boys or pestering the truly tough, they are big and tough. Even through the Hawks won, they backed down physically - and that, to me, is more important than retaliating on Keith.

I may be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks get more respect for their physical game in these playoffs. They have the right guys to do it, guys who are supposed to play that way, who play it the right way, and will be applauded for it. I think that's what Gillis has been trying to do, not create a team that's respected but create one that is capable of playing that type of game on a regular basis. A team that doesn't just try to be tough but actually is tough.

Edited for spelling.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I agree with you, except for those two players. I can't see a guy who scores a goal a year and isn't overly physical getting under my skin :P

I think embracing the hate is the optimal solution.

this being said, I don't think people really hate the canucks more than other talented teams. people are sick of crosby being good, so they call him a crybaby, people are sick of the canucks being good so they call them divers, people are sick of the bruins being good so they call them goons with no skill. and obviously things are accentuated during a 7 game series. it kind of sucks to play against a team you don't care about, no? things are more exciting when the media can turn it into a battle of good vs evil. people watch the games, newspapers sell, ticket prices soar.

this is nothing new. every fan of any team should really stop worrying about what other people say about their team. half the time it's fabricated hate. plus everyone's a homer and doesn't want to believe any other team is as good as theirs (therefore the blame must be on the refs, the goons or the divers).

also, this is nitpicking, but the rat was penalized for punching sedin in the head. 2mins for roughing and a game misconduct. i don't think you can suspend someone for punching someone else in he face with a glove on.

To add to this, the fans are the 1st to hate on our players which causes the media starts making big stories out of nothing and that gives our players a bad image.

I think Luongo is the perfect exemple of this, he has always been great the past few years but hasn't had much success in the playoffs until last year. But that is also the case with, say, Lundqvist. Someone starts going on about how bad Luongo is and then the media starts and then everyone is suddenly hating him. But in Lundqvist's case, the fans are always behind him no matter what, so the media don't write about his struggles and since people don't see anything negative on Lundqvist...

People hate that we jump so fast from one extreme to another, from "plan the parade" to "plan the golf course". Only a few months ago there was a thread about how we would not make the playoffs, and a few weeks ago there were threads about how we have what it takes to win it all this year and just a few days before, there were posts about how we would be making a 1st round exit and how it would actually be a GOOD thing. I don't think any other team has fans that are this bipolar.

*Saying that as someone who has to deal with Habs fans who hate the Canucks every day (although they don't seem to like to talk about hockey that much these days :bigblush: )

Cant answer for why others teams' fans dont like the Canucks. But I know after watching 35 Hawks/Canucks games (19 playoff games) since 2009 there about a million reasons to not like your team...which is probably close to the same number of reasons for why you dont like my team. No way two teams can play that many games in that short of time with so much at stake without creating some genuine hatred for each other.

The players and the fan base are why

Luongo -whinny, loud mouth, flops

Hansen -chirps alot

Burrows- dives, bites, hair pulling, chirping, etc

Kesler - dives, whines, dirty

Lapierre- dives, chirps

Ballard- low hipchecks

Sedins- hated on since they started and are still called the sisters by some moron fans

Thats just the current team, the last few year also had players that just were not liked as well

The fan base is annoying, loud and has rioted 2x which is a complete joke. Add in the Canucks success the last couple years, it just adds more fuel to the fire. If this team wins a cup in the next 2 years, the hate is going to double.

Archived