Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Trying To Break Down The Reason As Of Why The Canucks Are The Most Hated Team In The League

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#61 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Who cares!! It's media embellished spearheaded by King Donkey Ron McLean, it's western biased, oh well.

#62 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

We win they don't why does it have to be any more complicated than that!!!
They just have to realize that there are two types of hockey fans in this world...................
CANUCKS FANS AND THOSE WHO WISH THEY WERE CANUCKS FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#63 Mighty Chin

Mighty Chin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

What I'll never understand is the vilification of Burrows over these two incidents.

Apparently he's a girl because of this.

Burrows fights Keith, it's a terrible fight obviously, mostly grappling. They've positioned themselves awkwardly and are falling to the ice. Burrows grabs Keith's Hair and Keith rakes his fingers across Burrows Eyes and Mouth.

What a Girl does = Pulling Hair
What a Man does = Clawing at someone's face.

Yup makes sense to me.

In the SCF an after the whistle scrum ensues and Bergeron decides to face wash Burrows as he's being restraint by an official. Bergeron decides to use his thickly gloved finger as a tongue depressor by shoving it into Burrows mouth. At this point it's alleged that Burrows bit down as he struggled to free his restrained arm and hand to pull the tasty glove from out of his mouth.

What a Girl does = Bites someone's Finger
What a Man does = Shove their Finger into an unsuspecting Girls mouth.

He must be some first date.

No advertising please.

#64 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

What I'll never understand is the vilification of Burrows over these two incidents.

Apparently he's a girl because of this.

Burrows fights Keith, it's a terrible fight obviously, mostly grappling. They've positioned themselves awkwardly and are falling to the ice. Burrows grabs Keith's Hair and Keith rakes his fingers across Burrows Eyes and Mouth.

What a Girl does = Pulling Hair
What a Man does = Clawing at someone's face.

Yup makes sense to me.

In the SCF an after the whistle scrum ensues and Bergeron decides to face wash Burrows as he's being restraint by an official. Bergeron decides to use his thickly gloved finger as a tongue depressor by shoving it into Burrows mouth. At this point it's alleged that Burrows bit down as he struggled to free his restrained arm and hand to pull the tasty glove from out of his mouth.

What a Girl does = Bites someone's Finger
What a Man does = Shove their Finger into an unsuspecting Girls mouth.

He must be some first date.

brilliant.
i love how bruins fans feel its alright to stick your finger in someones mouth, but it's not ok to bite.
Dont put your finger there, morons.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#65 Haggedy

Haggedy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

I think it's the difference between trying to be tough and actually being tough.

Until recently the Canucks have played tough without really having the right personnel for the job. Although guys like Burrows and Lapierre (and Kesler back in the day) are tough, they're not seen that way in the media. They're seen more as pests and their acts are therefore dirty.

Other teams, like the Bruins and the Hawks (especially the version that won the cup), aren't/weren't seen as dirty even though they play the same way the Canucks do. I think it's because of their personnel. Guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Seabrook, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc. are all seen as tough. Even when they do something dirty/cheap, they get the benefit of the doubt.

It's a double standard based on perceptions, reputations, and old fashioned (out dated?) ideas of what it means to be tough/manly. It's unfair too. But I think it's also changing (for the Canucks at least). Lapierre has reformed his game. He hits, fights, and plays a simple physical style. New guys like Weise, Pahlsson, and Booth, although not tough, play a hard-working, grinding style that is respected in the league, and Kassian is a legitimate tough guy. The Canucks now have the personnel to actually be tough and it's starting to show.

After the Keith hit in Chicago, the Canucks stood up as a team. Bieksa and company got after Keith, Kassian got in Seabrook's face, Lapierre and others pounded the Hawks' D. Although Keith never really got what he deserved, I came away thinking - for the first time in a long time - that the Canucks were legitimately tougher than the Hawks. They weren't trying to play with the big boys or pestering the truly tough, they are big and tough. Even through the Hawks won, they backed down physically - and that, to me, is more important than retaliating on Keith.

I may be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks get more respect for their physical game in these playoffs. They have the right guys to do it, guys who are supposed to play that way, who play it the right way, and will be applauded for it. I think that's what Gillis has been trying to do, not create a team that's respected but create one that is capable of playing that type of game on a regular basis. A team that doesn't just try to be tough but actually is tough.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Haggedy, 24 March 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Posted Image

#66 Mighty Chin

Mighty Chin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well said Haggedy

Hawks and Bruins have won, we haven't. I think that's a big reason for our perception.
No advertising please.

#67 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

How about the players that we've got on this team.

- Ryan Kesler
- Alex Burrows
- Maxim Lapierre
- Kevin Bieksa
- Jannik Hansen
- Aaron Rome
- Andrew Alberts

Former Canucks:

- Raffi Torres
- Rick Rypien
- Shane O'Brien
- Darcy Hordichuk

All of these guys are annoying to play against.

I agree with you, except for those two players. I can't see a guy who scores a goal a year and isn't overly physical getting under my skin :P
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#68 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

I think it's the difference between trying to be tough and actually being tough.

Until recently the Canucks have played tough without really having the right personnel for the job. Although guys like Burrows and Lapierre (and Kesler back in the day) are tough, they're not seen that way in the media. They're seen more as pests and their acts are therefore dirty.

Other teams, like the Bruins and the Hawks (especially the version that won the cup), aren't/weren't seen as dirty even though they play the same way the Canucks do. I think it's because of their personnel. Guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Seabrook, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc. are all seen as tough. Even when they do something dirty/cheap, they get the benefit of the doubt.

It's a double standard based on perceptions, reputations, and old fashioned (out dated?) ideas of what it means to be tough/manly. It's unfair too. But I think it's also changing (for the Canucks at least). Lapierre has reformed his game. He hits, fights, and plays a simple physical style. New guys like Weise, Pahlsson, and Booth, although not tough, play a hard-working, grinding style that is respected in the league, and Kassian is a legitimate tough guy. The Canucks now have the personnel to actually be tough and it's starting to show.

After the Keith hit in Chicago, the Canucks stood up as a team. Bieksa and company got after Keith, Kassian got in Seabrook's face, Lapierre and others pounded the Hawks' D. Although Keith never really got what he deserved, I came away thinking - for the first time in a long time - that the Canucks were legitimately tougher than the Hawks. They weren't trying to play with the big boys or pestering the truly tough, they are big and tough. Even through the Hawks won, they backed down physically - and that, to me, is more important than retaliating on Keith.

I may be reading too much into this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks get more respect for their physical game in these playoffs. They have the right guys to do it, guys who are supposed to play that way, who play it the right way, and will be applauded for it. I think that's what Gillis has been trying to do, not create a team that's respected but create one that is capable of playing that type of game on a regular basis. A team that doesn't just try to be tough but actually is tough.

Edited for spelling.

Great point of view and well written! +1

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#69 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,389 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm trying to break down the reasons for why I should care? (I don't)

Embracing the hate. They're all milk hotdogs and muppets anyhow.

Posted Image

#70 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I agree with you, except for those two players. I can't see a guy who scores a goal a year and isn't overly physical getting under my skin :P

That's what I was thinking but I they are supposed to be tough :unsure: and I forgot Zack Kassian (the new Mr. Tough Guy)

#71 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm trying to break down the reasons for why I should care? (I don't)

Embracing the hate. They're all milk hotdogs and muppets anyhow.

:lol: Concise and to the point! I like it!

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#72 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Just gotta go to the source of that opinion.

TOML
Posted Image

#73 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

I think embracing the hate is the optimal solution.

this being said, I don't think people really hate the canucks more than other talented teams. people are sick of crosby being good, so they call him a crybaby, people are sick of the canucks being good so they call them divers, people are sick of the bruins being good so they call them goons with no skill. and obviously things are accentuated during a 7 game series. it kind of sucks to play against a team you don't care about, no? things are more exciting when the media can turn it into a battle of good vs evil. people watch the games, newspapers sell, ticket prices soar.

this is nothing new. every fan of any team should really stop worrying about what other people say about their team. half the time it's fabricated hate. plus everyone's a homer and doesn't want to believe any other team is as good as theirs (therefore the blame must be on the refs, the goons or the divers).

also, this is nitpicking, but the rat was penalized for punching sedin in the head. 2mins for roughing and a game misconduct. i don't think you can suspend someone for punching someone else in he face with a glove on.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#74 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

To add to this, the fans are the 1st to hate on our players which causes the media starts making big stories out of nothing and that gives our players a bad image.

I think Luongo is the perfect exemple of this, he has always been great the past few years but hasn't had much success in the playoffs until last year. But that is also the case with, say, Lundqvist. Someone starts going on about how bad Luongo is and then the media starts and then everyone is suddenly hating him. But in Lundqvist's case, the fans are always behind him no matter what, so the media don't write about his struggles and since people don't see anything negative on Lundqvist...

People hate that we jump so fast from one extreme to another, from "plan the parade" to "plan the golf course". Only a few months ago there was a thread about how we would not make the playoffs, and a few weeks ago there were threads about how we have what it takes to win it all this year and just a few days before, there were posts about how we would be making a 1st round exit and how it would actually be a GOOD thing. I don't think any other team has fans that are this bipolar.

*Saying that as someone who has to deal with Habs fans who hate the Canucks every day (although they don't seem to like to talk about hockey that much these days :bigblush: )

Loved how you compared Loungo to Lundqvist, I've never thought of it in that way before...

#75 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

The only difference between fanbases is the team they cheer for. Every fanbase has it's share of the less desirables. I don't understand why people think that Vancouver fans are somehow worse.

I don't know that Canuck fans are "somehow worse", but, I've noticed that CDC'ers sure do spend a LOT of time wondering/worrying about why they're supposedly so disliked around the league. You have to keep in mind that people are VERY akin to sheep and will basically follow what the person in front of them is doing, so long as it looks even halfway decent. Meaning, if 1 or 2 people of some prominence contend the Canucks are dirty/divers/crybabies/whiners, etc., naturally another 2 or 3 non-thinkers will pick it up and run with it, basically parroting what the first 1 or 2 idiots said whether there's any truth to it or not. Canuck fans seem to be real thin-skinned suckers for that one and let themselves get wound-up quite easily. Plus, you seem to have a strong desire for the 'Nucks and their fans to be liked and seen as "classy" (a word that gets used WAY too often at this board, by the way). Speaking as a Canuck fan, that is both annoying AND embarrassing, as I simply DO NOT GIVE A YOU-KNOW-WHAT what fans of another team (or the media that cover them) think about me or my favourite sports team(s). The similarities between the Canucks and their fans today and the Sonics and their fans during the George Karl era are striking.

I can't understand why the opinions of others seem to carry so much weight and matter so much to CDC'ers. Why do you care? I really wish I knew the answer. And, why do you want so badly to be "liked"? As I've said at this board last season, the Canucks seem to be pre-occupied with being "nice guys", or at the very least, being perceived as such. And, unfortunately, that seems to have afflicted the fanbase as well.

And, getting slightly off-topic here, but, it has to be said...

Want to know why certain teams take liberties with the twins or certain others on this club? Because they know full well that the Canucks don't seem to have much of an interest in any pushback, what with their "Ghandi Approach" or whatever. No one respects a person or entire team that appears to not stand up for themselves and/or for one another. If I were a fan of any other NHL club, I would hate the Vancouver Canucks for that alone. Which is not to say that I "like" Boston, but, I do respect and even somewhat envy the way they have each others' backs every night. Can the same be said of the Canucks? Or, has the organisation basically castrated them to the point of passivity, if not docility?

#76 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Cant answer for why others teams' fans dont like the Canucks. But I know after watching 35 Hawks/Canucks games (19 playoff games) since 2009 there about a million reasons to not like your team...which is probably close to the same number of reasons for why you dont like my team. No way two teams can play that many games in that short of time with so much at stake without creating some genuine hatred for each other.

#77 themcdeal

themcdeal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

The players and the fan base are why

Luongo -whinny, loud mouth, flops
Hansen -chirps alot
Burrows- dives, bites, hair pulling, chirping, etc
Kesler - dives, whines, dirty
Lapierre- dives, chirps
Ballard- low hipchecks
Sedins- hated on since they started and are still called the sisters by some moron fans

Thats just the current team, the last few year also had players that just were not liked as well

The fan base is annoying, loud and has rioted 2x which is a complete joke. Add in the Canucks success the last couple years, it just adds more fuel to the fire. If this team wins a cup in the next 2 years, the hate is going to double.

Edited by themcdeal, 24 March 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#78 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, becuase no other teams have players like that.
A lot is two words.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#79 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

haters gonna hate.

Posted Image

I blame the fish.

Posted Image

not cool.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#80 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Please stop the insanity :frantic:

#81 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

When you are quiet, not doing alot and generally losing games you don't get alot of media, hell, we barely get any media attention in the land of the great almighty Leafs so i'd conclude that taking media attention from the eastern golden child/children might spark a bit of hate. I'd even go so far as to say the only attention vancouver gets is generally when someting bad occurs. And coastal bias may play a part.
Example: after the the Keith dirty bulls@@t hit I got msg's and even texts from friends on the eastern seaboard about how the hit wasn't really that bad and how they league should be more worried about what the Pens or Rangers are doing and how CBC et all should not be wasting precious media time on us when there is so much more interesting things going on out east..
I guess my point is that when media and fans from other fanbases and homers of other teams end up hearing about Vancouver and our accomplishments AND not-so accoplishments it takes away from the attention of their beloved team. Its so easy to say "what a bunch of non deserving clowns" when you don't know a thing about the team and are used to looking at the standings and seeing Vancouver in the middle of the pack or worse....if you even take the time to notice.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#82 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

The players and the fan base are why

Luongo -whinny, loud mouth, flops
Hansen -chirps alot
Burrows- dives, bites, hair pulling, chirping, etc
Kesler - dives, whines, dirty
Lapierre- dives, chirps
Ballard- low hipchecks
Sedins- hated on since they started and are still called the sisters by some moron fans

Thats just the current team, the last few year also had players that just were not liked as well

The fan base is annoying, loud and has rioted 2x which is a complete joke. Add in the Canucks success the last couple years, it just adds more fuel to the fire. If this team wins a cup in the next 2 years, the hate is going to double.

I believe my previous post might contradict your assertion, at least partly. It is my opinion that the fanbases of other teams must actually KNOW who plays on this team and I contend that in a very large majority of hockey loving cities etc. you could quiz alot of, say, Flyers, Devils, Islanders fans and they'd probably not know who a majority of the players u mention are.
As I wrote about in my previous posts, I have friends out east and they are pure hockey fans but you couldnt ask them to rattle off half the canucks players names without internet help.

edit: the fanbase does make the city, and for the uninformed, province, look like we are a bunch of violent hockey nuts. it's definitely shameful and should that be the prime reason for hate on our team I can accept that.

Edited by MC Fatigue, 24 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#83 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

why are we the most hated team in the league? Two words......

give up yet? Okay, here is a hint the first word is "The" and the second word is "SHIFT"

still don't get it? Here is a clip of THE SHIFT, and you can figure out why 29 other teams hate us from here....

Clearly Vancouver didn't kill Edmonton with this shift, no. They did something worse. The Vancouver Canucks crushed the very soul of the Edmonton Oilers and it only took a little over 2 minutes. Look at the standings year over year since The Shift. ROughly five years ago, and the Oilers have simply accepted they are the worst team in the league, finishing rock bottom 3 years in a row, and free falling before that from teh moment this shift happened. The league fears what it can not answer, and hates what it fears.

Edited by Primal Optimist, 24 March 2012 - 05:34 PM.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#84 canucks3322

canucks3322

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

main reason is because our team is good

#85 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Well, I think we enjoy thinking that we may be the most hated team in the league.
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.