The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler's Friendly Discussion With Keith!

MJDDawg

As mentioned in a few posts above, the boys can't carry this forward because of the dark cloud of Bertuzzi still hanging above.

The Team 1040 has been reporting that several Canucks had asked Keith to go during the course of the game and he declined.

Are you freakin kidding me?? We were asking him to go? I'm stunned. The boys should be shown the Chris Neil video to see how it's done.

It's really disappointing to see how many people wanted some kind of immediate retribution, in the form of a player dropping the gloves or even worse.

Our team respects the NHL, it respects the other players, even if they don't respect us. The NHL levelled a 5 day suspension, that's pretty much the rest of the regular season at this point. Who knows, it might have an impact. Probably not enough of an impact to make Chicago miss the playoffs, but it's possible.

The point is, the Canucks are taking the high road, and in doing so they are setting a great example for the rest of the league, about how the game should be played and the players respected. As fans, we should admire them for not losing their cool even when one of their good friends was injured so blatantly on the ice, and respect that they did the right thing by not stooping to Chicago or Boston level.

You sir, are an idiot!

still with the "toughness" love!

why do teams have to fcking retaliate, is there a rule somwhere that we have to? Why does someone have to ragdoll some player cuz he did an illegal action. Let them take theh ???? penalty and let us ???? score on the advantage. We don't nee thisi after the play crap, since when has this led teams to the Stanley Cup?

And besides, even if we did have an "enforcer" dressed, we play 5/6 of the game without him. What the hell is Bitz or Duco gonna do from the bench.

Bitz and Duco won't bring crap to the table. Just cuz you have ONE 6'5" guy in the lineup doesn;t mean we're suddenly gonna get tough as frack. No, keep them out of the lineup, their "toughness" doesn't make up for their terrible hockey skills.

The more I watch the highlights of the hit, the more I'm disgusted by the boys lack of immediate reaction to the cheap shot.

No immediate reaction by any Canuck player is really disheartening. Part of me is willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt in that maybe none of them saw the hit. Yes there was some targeted push back for a while, but sometimes a team just has to say "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" and deal with the situation immediately.

To make matters worse, watching Edler standing there talking to Keith while one of his teammates and best players in the league is down on the ice just makes me froth at the mouth.

This isn't a one time issue either. Remember the rat's low bridge hit on Salo in Boston that again drew no reaction from the Canucks...other than again some friendly talking.

I just can't fathom the lack of reaction...especially when our powerplay has gone down the tubes. What would there be to lose??

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I can't think of another solid team with cup aspirations that would be as passive as this after cheap shots to their top players. To me this is a big warning signal that this team isn't as together chemistry wise as we'd like to believe and that something is not right with this team.

Why have we not called up Bitz and Duco again?

Edler's nice discussion (at 20 second mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

Kess & Henrik's pleasant discussion with the rat (at 20 second mark):

As a comparable, here's Chris Neils reaction to simply a solid hit tonight on Erik Karlsson from the Habs Mike Blunden (at 1:17 mark):

God I love Chris Neil!!!

Ok after reading countless crap on several forums and websites, Canucks are divers, babies, whiners... etc.. I have to agree with them sometimes... Then something like this happens, and no one fights keith, really no one? How many penaltys did we get after that hit? 5? Pk was on who cares if we got 6, if I'm Kassian and want to make an impression, first chance, stop in play anything while I'm on the ice with kieth I B line it for him drop the gloves and just start going, same goes if I'm 90% of the roster, payback was needed and not in the Kieth dirty hit way, the man up drop the gloves and show them that crap would be tolerated.

Unfortunately the Canuck way is to look the other way. The point to be made to the Hawks was at the time Daniel got hit not through the 2nd period. By that time the chapter had been written in the Canuck playbook. You must have a short memory if you don't realize that the Hawks wrote that book and the Bruins referenced it last spring. The thing is that it doesn't stop there. Go down the list of other NHL teams who play Van the same way, starting with SJ. The word in NHL circles is that the Twins can be intimidated and that Lou can be taken off his game by crashing his net.

That is a reality that the Canucks have to change if they want to gain that extra half step in their puck possession game. If opposing players realize that there is more than a cursory price to pay then some, not all, will hesitate. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Throwing the PP retaliation idea out is OK at times but as in the case with Boston it does not always deter. Van's offence was overwelming Boston's d-core until they did resort to more physicality. They had little option and were prepared to risk Van's PP. Their physical play through Van off, slowed the game down and exposed Van's inability to respond with the necessary physical play to stop Boston forwards.

So ya, I was pretty disappointed with Van's non-reaction to the Sedin hit. Sorry but a face wash and verbal BS doesn't cut it. The Salo hit wasn't much different. As I have stated before Keith did not have to be the target. Van could have ran Kane just as well. The point they had to make was simple, take one of ours out and we will take one of yours. The end result was they did not. The Hawks went away with their Van playbook intact which got downloaded to 28 other NHL teams. NHL reffing also got a bye on the play. Because of Van's mediocore response they simply 'contained' the problem by calling minors and majors to potential problems. A line brawl would have been harder to explain post-game.

Going forward I fully expect (hope) that the Van 'Black Aces' with Bitz, Duco and hopefully Volpatti will provide some deterance. Kassian is not an insignificant addition to this lineup. The more games he plays the more comfortable he is getting in his role. Bitz has been playing regular shifts with the Wolves. Fans should remember how much time he missed rehabbing and what pressure that was placing on his hip. I am sure Van put him in the AHL to bring him along more slowly for a playoff return.

This msg board is failing again. So this might be a double post.

But im really not sure what you expect of a 4th liner, you know were talking about a 4th liner?

Bitz had 4 points in 8 games, thats as much as weise has in 70 some games, and bitz can actually fight. Again not sure how you dont think bitz is a good option.

I totally agree with the OP. Sometimes I wish I could just be on the ice to restore some order. How can a teammate not retaliate after something like that? I would have grabed Keith and beat the living hell out of him!!! It makes me so mad that we didn't destroy this piece of crap..

The more I watch the highlights of the hit, the more I'm disgusted by the boys lack of immediate reaction to the cheap shot.

No immediate reaction by any Canuck player is really disheartening. Part of me is willing to give the boys the benefit of the doubt in that maybe none of them saw the hit. Yes there was some targeted push back for a while, but sometimes a team just has to say "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" and deal with the situation immediately.

To make matters worse, watching Edler standing there talking to Keith while one of his teammates and best players in the league is down on the ice just makes me froth at the mouth.

This isn't a one time issue either. Remember the rat's low bridge hit on Salo in Boston that again drew no reaction from the Canucks...other than again some friendly talking.

I just can't fathom the lack of reaction...especially when our powerplay has gone down the tubes. What would there be to lose??

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I can't think of another solid team with cup aspirations that would be as passive as this after cheap shots to their top players. To me this is a big warning signal that this team isn't as together chemistry wise as we'd like to believe and that something is not right with this team.

Why have we not called up Bitz and Duco again?

Edler's nice discussion (at 20 second mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

Kess & Henrik's pleasant discussion with the rat (at 20 second mark):

As a comparable, here's Chris Neils reaction to simply a solid hit tonight on Erik Karlsson from the Habs Mike Blunden (at 1:17 mark):

God I love Chris Neil!!!

And to the op what would you expect, truly tough teams will fight back when they have too. This turn the other cheek crap just gives them an excuse to be s bunch of p*****s. Can't expect edler to defend someone else when he won't even make eye contact with someone coming after him when he's just done throwing a dirty hit.

It looked like at some point later in the game someone clued in the whole team what happened.there mood towards Keith all of a sudden changed.the pro game moves so fast you wouldn't have seen that play.looks like Edler is following the puck.Ott and Neil should be on this team,and I've been saying that for a long time.

And to the op what would you expect, truly tough teams will fight back when they have too. This turn the other cheek crap just gives them an excuse to be s bunch of p*****s. Can't expect edler to defend someone else when he won't even make eye contact with someone coming after him when he's just done throwing a dirty hit.

It doesn't matter who we call up, if we have 2 Sedins and Edler on the ice when an incident happens, they're never going to drop the gloves, period.

Sedins have been playing "their" way ever since they got drafted, but I don't see how hard it is to at least face wash the guy or push him against the boards.

i though they did good in second period they really went after the hawks and nobody on hawks team would answer. burrows was throwing punches the hawks looked soft standing there taking it.kane got clocked keith turtled on the ice. i hate seeing guys get jumped for clean hits, the refs barley saw the keith elbow. i was happy with the response hawks had no push back and couldn't beat van on the power play even though they were handed the game by o'horrible.

time to move on use this as motivation to prove they can win with out Daniel this team has been playing with no motivation for a month now this could be a spark to unite the boys. that being said i hope danny isn't out to long.

If you think there was no reaction to the hit on keith you quite obviously didnt watch the game. The entire second period, after most players saw the replay in the dressing room, was basically a brawl. But no hawks players were willing to drop the gloves. The canucks hounded the hawks after that hit and im more than satisfied with the way they handled it.

Archived