The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

While I Disagree With Shanny's Decision, He's Not The Enemy Of The Game Here.

drukes1234

... The refs and potentially the commissioner are.

We heard over and over that the refs are calling less penalties to slow down the game to prevent concussions? How's that working out? Honestly look at the head shots in the game and how many of them happen because of pure speed and how many simply happen because when you're on the ice adrenaline takes over and you can act like a fkin idiot, even if you normally think rationally. The bottom line is this: when the refs don't call MAJOR penalties for brutal hits, the players have to take things into their own hands. Major penalties hurt the team immensely, when Marchand took out Salo the game was tied, Marchand got a major, we scored 2 goals on that penalty and ended the game. Had that been a playoff game that would have been an enormous deterent for the rat to think twice next time. What if the refs would have called a minor, like they tend to do very often? Would Weise go and run Thomas? I don't know, but I think the major penalty makes him feel like he doesn't NEED to do something. I don't remember what Moore got on his hit on Nazzy, if I recall correctly he may have not even received an on ice penalty.... that turned out well for Steve, the Canucks and the league in general.

Sorry for venting, but I'm simply disgusted with the way this league is operating

There's very much a truth in that desperate times call for desperate measures.

Teams (ours) get desperate when they're grasping for answers...answers that the league should be providing (but have failed to). I, too, am disgusted...the last few years have been atrocious in how the refs have failed to do their jobs.

After the whistle, a zero tolerance should be applied in an instantaneous "you're outta here" way. None of this Brad Marchand having a seizure on Daniel's face crap. I can't count how many times Burr gets crosschecked after a whistle, often in the face. Manure.

(and damn if this edit didn't butcher/lose half my comment...)

If this is his "new NHL", I don't want it. In response, I want a Gino type who can take care of business by challenging every single idiot on the ice to answer. A hulk who rips his shirt off with a smile on his face that says come over here so we can talk.

Because the message is there is no message. Some teams can get away with murder while others shouldn't bat their eyes too hard or they're gone.

OK, think I'm done (probably not).

My neighbours are hammering...maybe I'll go try and work it out with on them.

I was just reading an article on the CBC website talking about the insufficiency of the Keith suspension and one thing that I found interesting (and disturbing) was that when Shannahan suspended Wisnewski for 8 games at the beginning of the season GMs told him to cool it with lengthy suspensions.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/03/there-is-no-joy-in-vancouver-with-keiths-suspension.html

and here's the quote:

"When Shanahan cracked down early on with suspensions like the eight-gamer he dealt Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman James Wisniewski to start the season some general managers got upset, piped up and told Shanahan to cool it."

I find this pretty disturbing, it suggests that despite all of the rule changes and the reported concern about dangerous plays that we here in the media all the time, when it comes right down to it Managers don't seem to want to take the steps that are necessary to actually clean up the league.

I think that Shannahan really wants to make an impact on the game and make it safer for player but he seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Until GMs and owners get on board with longer suspensions all we're going to see is 3 to 5 game suspensions unless something truly brutal happens.

I was just reading an article on the CBC website talking about the insufficiency of the Keith suspension and one thing that I found interesting (and disturbing) was that when Shannahan suspended Wisnewski for 8 games at the beginning of the season GMs told him to cool it with lengthy suspensions.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...suspension.html

and here's the quote:

"When Shanahan cracked down early on with suspensions like the eight-gamer he dealt Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman James Wisniewski to start the season some general managers got upset, piped up and told Shanahan to cool it."

I find this pretty disturbing, it suggests that despite all of the rule changes and the reported concern about dangerous plays that we here in the media all the time, when it comes right down to it Managers don't seem to want to take the steps that are necessary to actually clean up the league.

I think that Shannahan really wants to make an impact on the game and make it safer for player but he seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Until GMs and owners get on board with longer suspensions all we're going to see is 3 to 5 game suspensions unless something truly brutal happens.

But who's steering the ship here?

It's his duty, when caught between the rock/hard place, to navigate safely between them. If not, he'll simply end up running the ship aground as he's failed to pick a course and stick to it. Intimidation shouldn't factor in - some of the GM's in place are reflective of the gentleman's (not so much) club that has had a firm grip on things for far too long. It was a corrupt and self serving group at times and Shanny's the man in place to make the final calls.

I don't "blame" Shanny and understand that he's the puppet at the end of the strings....but he needs to cut them. He needs to stand alone and do his job led only by what HE feels is right.

Another very brilliant man had to take this stance once with some of these very types - his name is Mike Gillis.

In response to the poster above that quoted the CBC article.

It's really unfortunate that the incident happend to a Blue Jacket player. We all know the league would want nothing more than Columbus to succeed. I remember thinking at the time atta boy Shanny, let's get serious on this, especially because the hit had nothing to do with a hockey play. But then comes the outside interference. The Gm's which I find odd....most likely one or two, I can't see a number of GM's caring that much including ours, Pittsburghs, Calgarys, etc.....

I thought it was the NHLPA as well given the player in question was a high earner, I believe he forfeited nearly half a million dollars.

So there you have it. Not even one week into the season and Shanny is already getting told how to do his job. This is how the NHL is operated. Much like any good old' Mafia, give people positions in your organization, yet be able to veto at your own discretion.

To address the OP I agree Shanny isn't the enemy here. He is merly a puppet on a string, his videos are just the smoke screen.

But who's steering the ship here?

It's his duty, when caught between the rock/hard place, to navigate safely between them. If not, he'll simply end up running the ship aground as he's failed to pick a course and stick to it. Intimidation shouldn't factor in - some of the GM's in place are reflective of the gentleman's (not so much) club that has had a firm grip on things for far too long. It was a corrupt and self serving group at times and Shanny's the man in place to make the final calls.

I don't "blame" Shanny and understand that he's the puppet at the end of the strings....but he needs to cut them. He needs to stand alone and do his job led only by what HE feels is right.

Another very brilliant man had to take this stance once with some of these very types - his name is Mike Gillis.

NHL reffs are a joke. International reffs are way better. No one was bitter in the olympics. This suspension only opens a gate way to another bertuzzi type incident. I maen what if one of the sedin's sticks out the elbow and takes out kane, it would be the first time offender rule so maybe 5 games at most boo frkin whooo. Oh never mind the league would throw the book at them because the league is currupt. Rome entire SCF for a hit on not even a star in the league how can they justify this. JOKE My prediction Nashville, St lois, Pitsburgh and philli get babysat in the playoffs and are directed in the playoffs.

It's too bad Shanny couldn't watch every game the same way we do. I don't watch the 'Hawks play anybody else but the Canucks, so I can't speak of Keith's playstyle vs. other teams. But against the Canucks, he really plays a mean style of cheap and dirty (as opposed to say, Burrow's style which is more pest style). What I mean by that is he hacks and slashes, and makes deliberate attempts to hurt our players, usually by the bench on a change.

But the real problem, I agree with the OP, is that the refs don't nip this type of stuff at the bud and call it early. We all saw how our team did towards the end. I think Nashville was the only team that didn't take liberties, but Chicago, San Jose, and Boston all played dirty with barely any calls going our way. Gillis cried about it during the Chicago series for a reason. I really wish refs would call the playoffs like they do the first 20 games of the season. I'd sooner see a show of skill prevail in the playoffs than thuggery.

NHL reffs are a joke. International reffs are way better. No one was bitter in the olympics. This suspension only opens a gate way to another bertuzzi type incident. I maen what if one of the sedin's sticks out the elbow and takes out kane, it would be the first time offender rule so maybe 5 games at most boo frkin whooo. Oh never mind the league would throw the book at them because the league is currupt. Rome entire SCF for a hit on not even a star in the league how can they justify this. JOKE My prediction Nashville, St lois, Pitsburgh and philli get babysat in the playoffs and are directed in the playoffs.

I am a fan of hockey, but I don't understand how in a professional sport all of that crap happens between every whistle. People talk about it being a physical sport? So what? As a life long rugby player we hit each other all game but you don't see all of the cheap little extra hits/shoves/etc etc... In fact you don't see it in ANY other sport like you do in hockey. If you push a guy after the whistle in any other sport its almost always a penalty/technical/etc.

its not a part of the sport, its not a part of any sport. Sports are for athletes, people who show dedication to getting better at their sport. Sports is not for Goons.

There should just be blanket rules, whistle blows, you pull something, penalty. Its disgusting that refs have to physically work to pull people apart or break things up. Any other sports if you even touch the ref, (or vice versa if he has to touch you) your in big trouble.

Hockey players need to grow up, this isn't a bush league, they are supposed to be professional HOCKEY players

Archived