The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

While I Disagree With Shanny's Decision, He's Not The Enemy Of The Game Here.

drukes1234

I generally agree with you and it would be wonderful if Shanny did take a stand but I have a feeling that it's not that simple. I don't know what high level NHL politics are like but I'm sure they are complicated and a simple action that we all know is the right thing for Shanny to do may not be as simple as it seems.

I know you're not criticizing Shanny and I'm not arguing your point, just want to present my perspective on why things are the way they are.

Let me just say this,

As a total fanatic about this wonderful sport, have played it and watched it for more years than I'd like to admit,(lets just say I saw the maple leafs win their last cup),there used to be only one ref.

At the beginning of the game they actually showed this person and made them part of the total package of the game.This WAS TO SHOW WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CALLS ON THE ICE.

Now we have two ref's and either of them seem to think they are responsible for some of the blatant fouls that are turning this game into a joke.The better the ref was the more important games would be reffed by them(you know, that good old you have earned it, type of thing).

Now it seems any knuckle head could ref the games.

Lets bring back a little responsiblity to the ref's and not have the ref standing sixty feet away make a call that the ref standing six feet away didn't call etc

I know that being a ref has got to be a hard job, but we all(or at least I hope we do ) have some reponsibilties in our own jobs to do the right thing and be FAIR to everyone. THAT'S ALL i HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT.!

There is an old adage that says .. "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem" .. until he proves otherwise, Shanahan is part of the problem.

If he feel strongly enough about doing his job properly, then he must stand up for the integrity of the game, or quit. Make a statement if you care, because if you don't, Shanny, you come across as an NHL shill, thus no better than Buttman or Campbell.

Crunch time and Shanny has been found lacking.

There is an old adage that says .. "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem" .. until he proves otherwise, Shanahan is part of the problem.

If he feel strongly enough about doing his job properly, then he must stand up for the integrity of the game, or quit. Make a statement if you care, because if you don't, Shanny, you come across as an NHL shill, thus no better than Buttman or Campbell.

Crunch time and Shanny has been found lacking.

So very well said.

The whole idea of getting Shanny into place was to offer some new perspective, direction and changes.

Started out swinging, is now sort of coasting. Not good enough.

If you're having to constantly issue these suspensions and we still have "repeat offenders", that means you're not getting it right (yet). So you have to amp it up a bit because there's no real margin for error here when it's the players' safety at risk when you do drop the ball. Anything unnecessary (like this headshot) should have already been a thing of the past. Shouldn't be much opportunity FOR repeat offenders. A zero tolerance would be nice.

Thing I don't understand; is that play in the preseason, Us vs. Calgary, our player was checked into the boards, don't think there was an injury; but there was a three game suspension.

How is a deliberate elbow only worth two more games against our star player?

I think the OP has the right of it. Shanny tried ti initiate a new standard for suspensions, starting with the 8 games to Wiz.

Enter the GMs who told him (through Bettman or Daly most likely) that he was going too far and we have totally inadequate decisions like the one made on Keith.

One would think that the NHL would look at the recent decision by the NFL and realize what a joke this makes them. Professional hockey will never rival any of the other big three as long as this Mickey Mouse mentality prevails.

What i want to see is a completely independant from any leagues payroll.. International professional Ice hockey Referee Association.

have the best of the best refs from around the world doing games from all major hockey leagues.

that way they don't have the time to get involved in the Soap opera that is the NHL.

and there would be less bias in NHL and international games.

The league needs to take deliberate hits to the head or deliberate attempts to injury alot more serious. First off, any deliberate hit to the head or any hit that is deemed an attempt to injury regardless of whether the player recieving the hit is injuried should be a minimum of 5 games.

If the player recieving the hit is injuried, the player that gave the hit will be suspended a minimum of 5 games. In cases where the injured player is out more than 5 game, the suspension will last for same amount of games that the injured player must take to recover from their injury and return to play. Foremore a 500,000 dollar fine will be given to the player deemed to have caused an deliberate hit with the intentions of causing injury.

Every day over the 5 day mark will add an additional fine to the player deemed to have caused a deliberate injury ; this fine will be calculated based on the injuried player's salary, where the player who caused the injury will be fine 20 percent of the injured players salary for the time deemed unable to play.

This fine will be paid to the injured player.

The NHL team of the player whom is deemed to have deliberately attempt to injure will also be charged two million dollars and an additional one hundred thousand for every game the injured player is out past the 5 day mark. This fine will be paid evenly to the 29 other NHL teams .

The player deemed to have caused a deliberate hit with the intention to cause injury will make a public

apology to the player, fans and the NHL.

If the player is a multi-offender, then that player and the organization that has hired him will have to seek professional help in anger management. This help will only be allowed to come into play, after the full suspension has been served.

In a case where the injury is career ending, the player causing the injury will also have his career ended. The organizations of both players will also be affected, by way of drafts picks, where up to 5 first round draft picks will be stripped away from the organizations deemed to have the player causing a career ending injury and given to the organizations of the player with the career ending injury.

This decision will not take place until two years after the deemed injury, to make sure the player is indeed unable to return to play. Draft picks will be based on the age and level of the player injuried.

I know a little over the top!

Archived