The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transgender Contestant Booted Out Of Miss Vancouver Pagent

DonLever

Wow that's a man? I'm usually good at spotting someone who isn't naturally a woman but I was fooled. Even so, Jenna is hotter than 99% of the female population and 100% of males.

I also understand why they were disqualified and unfortunately that's the rules. We've been through this with the NHL, with the PGA, and so on and so forth, equal is not going to result in equal. Knowing now that this is a man certainly would inhibit thinking of them while waxing my carrot (and yes I'm happily married) over one I thought was born a female.

It's a beauty contest. Her genetics are hardly going to give her much of an advantage beyond height (which isn't necessarily one at all). It's not like they're having strength contests. I suppose being genetically male would result in naturally less body fat but the hormones may have an effect on that. I know they change where it's preferentially stored but I'm not sure what it does for the amount.

Obviously she's not going to menstruate. I don't think many would find it fair to disqualify someone who was born a woman but had a hysterectomy. Heck some of these women might have so little body fat they don't have menses. It's been known to happen.

The only thing I find particularly unfair about being transgendered is the plastic surgery she would have had to receive. I don't see that being an issue unless the genetic women weren't allowed to have it.

I'd be interested to know how the contest would handle the inter-sex. I had a friend growing up who was born gender ambiguous and her parents had to make a decision. Her sister was born the same way. They've always taken hormones and been girls since they were babies. To be honest I have no idea if they are XX, XY or have some sort of abnormality.

Edit: For the record I have no problem with her disqualification. The people who run the contest are allowed to make up their own rules. She lied and broke them.

Totally agree. It shouldn't be a contest for those who can afford the best plastic surgeons.

Then again, it's their contest and their own ground rules. If they want to turn it into a contest for the best cut up jobs, they should honestly make it out as just that, and not pretend that it is anything else.

This isn't about that, this is actually getting the process done, big difference.

What if some poor bloke falls in love with a transgendered, only to find out that (s)he can't bear his children... and what if he is naturally disgusted that she is not a real woman? Imagine the emotional hurt he would get in because of someones deceiving looks..

And you're being intolerant to the people that are not killing, molesting or torturing anyone. You act as if religion preaches those things when it does not, (with the exception of killing which is justified in certain situations - ie;war, but something many don't ever need to worry about) many of us don't even have that in the back of our minds! Intolerance against religion (that does no harm) is nothing new and is a bigger problem than being whacked out by a gender change. If anything, try finding the nutcase Muslims, or Christians, and be intolerant towards THEM.

And comparing transgendered to blacks is out there, transgender is a choice they go through, but blacks or people of any other race don't have a choice into what skin they are born in. Of course, I don't advocate being intolerant towards transgenders unless they give you a reason to be, so just leave them be and I'd treat any I know IRL(or online) kindly (albeit, being grossed out by the nature of their decision)... but I don't support their initial decision as I find it wrong. And definitely don't be intolerant to a man who simply feels like he should be a woman, there's absolutely no harm in that.

Gee I don't know, are you a woman?

She got the surgery done, she looks like a woman, she has womanly features, she refers to herself as a woman.

I don't see the correlation. All I see is you having a hard time thinking outside of the box.

"Her" cells contain the male sex chromosomes. Her body is a collection of male cells, despite superficial appearances, and making love to her would be rubbing your body against male tissue. Call a spade a spade.

I prefer to be scientifically consistent than follow this notion you have of "thinking outside the box".

Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for her for having her soul misassigned to the wrong body. Just don't try to pass off the body she is in for the real deal though. I'd hate to imagine what the most crucial parts must look like after the cut up job.

And comparing transgendered to blacks is out there, transgender is a choice they go through, but blacks or people of any other race don't have a choice into what skin they are born in. Of course, I don't advocate being intolerant towards transgenders unless they give you a reason to be, so just leave them be and I'd treat any I know IRL(or online) kindly (albeit, being grossed out by the nature of their decision)... but I don't support their initial decision as I find it wrong. And definitely don't be intolerant to a man who simply feels like he should be a woman, there's absolutely no harm in that.

It's a beauty contest. Her genetics are hardly going to give her much of an advantage beyond height (which isn't necessarily one at all). It's not like they're having strength contests. I suppose being genetically male would result in naturally less body fat but the hormones may have an effect on that. I know they change where it's preferentially stored but I'm not sure what it does for the amount.

Obviously she's not going to menstruate. I don't think many would find it fair to disqualify someone who was born a woman but had a hysterectomy. Heck some of these women might have so little body fat they don't have menses. It's been known to happen.

The only thing I find particularly unfair about being transgendered is the plastic surgery she would have had to receive. I don't see that being an issue unless the genetic women weren't allowed to have it.

I'd be interested to know how the contest would handle the inter-sex. I had a friend growing up who was born gender ambiguous and her parents had to make a decision. Her sister was born the same way. They've always taken hormones and been girls since they were babies. To be honest I have no idea if they are XX, XY or have some sort of abnormality.

Edit: For the record I have no problem with her disqualification. The people who run the contest are allowed to make up their own rules. She lied and broke them.

I think you have failed to understand what 'transgendered' means S19. Do you think a transgendered person really had any choice as to what brain wiring they were born with? Much as a member of any ethnicity had a choice as to their skin colour etc.? That they made a 'decision' to be a transgendered person? That's exactly the same as a person born black saying they 'chose' to be black.

My apologies for not being clear.

"And definitely don't be intolerant to a man who simply feels like he should be a woman, there's absolutely no harm in that."

I quote that from my earlier post, and it means the same thing as yours above, sans the eloquence.

The difference lies in taking those feelings, and getting the surgery done. I'm not grossed out by the way their brain is strung. No, they don't have a choice in that - we both agree. What do have a choice in is getting the surgery done.

So why shouldn't transgendered people be allowed to look on the outside the way they feel on the inside?

How would you like to be completely and utterly female on the inside and have to look at yourself in the mirror and see a penis and testicles every day?

Or, be completely and utterly male on the inside, as you are now, and look in the mirror and see breasts and no penis or testicles?

See what I mean? ;)

Perhaps it's more restful for their heart that way.

for your edit: Then I'd be chocked - honestly. I'd be contemplating surgery as I think about outlets for any of my other desires I can't act upon, but somehow I'd find a way to deal with it - through the realization of this is what's in store for me. I'd strike it down as another struggle I'd have to live with, and I'll be fine, maybe better than if I went through with it, but if not, I'll be fine, sure.

Archived