Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Transgender Contestant Booted Out Of Miss Vancouver Pagent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
239 replies to this topic

#61 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

So, since a bunch of you think this "woman" should be allowed in the contest, why shouldn't a regular looking dude be allowed to join in the competition, assuming he thinks of himself as being a woman.

Hear me out here. Many women are flat chested,(like many men), and some do have short hair and sparse facial hair. Even though this guy hasn't had the surgery yet, by your logic, he should be allowed to compete in this pageant because in his mind he thinks he's actually a woman. If you say he shouldn't be allowed, then perhaps you should re-evaluate your original position.

/Thread

I love when people put "/thread"
As if that's it. You win. Every other point made in the thread is obsolete in comparison to your overly powerful statement.
/you'rewrong

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#62 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

So, since a bunch of you think this "woman" should be allowed in the contest, why shouldn't a regular looking dude be allowed to join in the competition, assuming he thinks of himself as being a woman.

Hear me out here. Many women are flat chested,(like many men), and some do have short hair and sparse facial hair. Even though this guy hasn't had the surgery yet, by your logic, he should be allowed to compete in this pageant because in his mind he thinks he's actually a woman. If you say he shouldn't be allowed, then perhaps you should re-evaluate your original position.

/Thread

You really need to do a little research about transgendered people and then perhaps your posts wouldn't come off appearing so idiotic and foolish.

But you get a point for attempting to steer the discussion away from your previous posts that sound bigoted and just plain ignorant.

And really..........you think "/thread" makes you appear cool and all knowing? Think again......

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 March 2012 - 04:28 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#63 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

/Thread

I understand where you're coming from but... seeing as this is a BEAUTY PAGEANT in which the most BEAUTIFUL LOOKING GIRL would win, a male lookalike-whoThinksHe'saGirl-ButStillLooksLikeAGuy doesn't stand a chance and frankly, would waste everyones time. He shouldn't even apply.
Posted Image

#64 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

oooohhhh man .

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#65 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I understand where you're coming from but... seeing as this is a BEAUTY PAGEANT in which the most BEAUTIFUL LOOKING GIRL would win, a male lookalike-whoThinksHe'saGirl-ButStillLooksLikeAGuy doesn't stand a chance and frankly, would waste everyones time. He shouldn't even apply.

What about her?

Posted Image

#66 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

First off, I think the issue with the pageant is she lied on her application, automatic disqualification, simple as that. Anyone who makes the pageant DQ a transgender issue is making something out of nothing.

Then the thread gets interesting (would could see that coming?), apparently we don't have to inform our lovers what gender we are anymore, I think that's bull. Relationships are about honesty, communication, and trust. People who think it is perfectly fine to lie to their partners and use the excuse that it wouldn't impact their life anyways are a great example of terrible human beings. In theory, we could argue that a cheating man telling his wife would be the same situation, the only reason she would be upset would be because of her preconceived belief that a partner sleeping with someone else is undesirable. There really isn't any physically harm done, and there would only be psychological harm because the wife holds a certain belief, and for no other reason, so she could be boiled down to a bigot against cheaters and nothing more.

At this point it is easy to whisk this away, cheaters actually are bad, while there isn't anything wrong with being transgender. This is the exact problem, it is easy to take this line of thinking because we have no problem labeling a cheater as being wrong, but when we start to think about why is becomes muddy. Why is cheating bad? I certainly think it is, it causes a lot of grief, but if I think about it admittedly it only causes harm because people decided it was bad, if we decided it was okay, there wouldn't be any grief, and there would be no harm done. A faithful partner is only a good thing because we have decided unilaterally that it is. Now I am fine living under this mantra, I will just continue to assume cheating is bad just 'cause, but now I must admit that others who holds similar views (screwing a dude is gross just 'cause) maybe aren't as crazy as I think they are. If I take time to evaluate myself, I can fully understand why they feel this way.

You can use incest as another example, if you were to find out that the person you were sleeping with for the past year happens to be your brother, it may be hard to just brush that off as no big deal. Technically it doesn't do you any harm (assuming no pregnancy), and in theory if you feel icky about it then I guess you are a bigot, but that would be the natural human response for many people. While it is biased in some way, I still think we can socially accept the notion that nailing your family members is undesirable if you choose that you don't feel comfortable with it.

Personally, I believe in someone's right to have sex with who they choose, if someone is gay, let them be gay, but that means if someone is straight, let them be straight. If someone does not desire relations with a transgender, that is no different than the gay guy who does not desire relations with women. We have probably all heard of many instances where the parents of a gay child will attempt to decide their sexuality for the them, I think this is wrong. In a similar fashion, I don't think a transgender has the right to simply decide I want to sleep with transgenders, without consulting me first. Don't put anyone in a special category, we must promote equality, if transgenders, men, women are all equal then someone has the same right to not want to love/date/sleep with one group as they do the others.

I get that these people are under fire publicly, and people want to be all protective, but you simply cannot promote the idea of dishonesty in relationships and think that you are being moral, there is no excuse for that. On top of that, you simply cannot promote the idea of equality under this philosophy.
Posted Image

#67 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

/Thread

/Thread

All people take out of this is the "/Thread", and do not realize what they are saying is exactly this.

:picard:

#68 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

What about her?

Posted Image

nice legs: check
upper lady parts: check
soft hands: check
beautiful face: check

Should be a go...

waitwut.
Posted Image

#69 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

She smiles 2 much 2 represent the women of Vancouver. Disqualify her for that.

#70 Hockey!?

Hockey!?

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

/Thread

I see you still haven't learned anything. Here again you're focusing solely on the 'sex' of the individual, and not on how the person identifies themselves. The entire basis of your argument is greatly flawed. I've said this once, and I'll say this again, do yourself a favour and educate yourself. Your homophobic remarks aren't winning anyone over.

Since the beauty pageant is purely aesthetic, I don't see why not these women can't compete, but for other things I would not classify these women as women. They should tick off themselves as "male". Personally, I don't support these sex-change operations, I find them... my words cannot describe... but I understand they can do whatever they want to do as they aren't harming anyone (except perhaps themselves).

Being transgendered is far deeper rooted than the sex of the individual, (born a male or female). It would be inaccurate, and inappropriate to not acknowledge these individuals on where they position themselves within the gender binary. In regards to your last comment, it is more harmful to suppress their true position.

For further reference/reading: http://www.pflagcana...rans-myself.pdf

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

What about her?

Posted Image

Dude, thats Hillary Swank!!!

#72 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

well what else are you gonna do? These people scare me, just the fact that you would want to change gender, then go through with it.. These surgerys should be illegal

do you live in stone age?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

How many of you guys defending her here would hit the sack with her? Be honest.

I have nothing against people wanting to live life as a woman, but ex-males should be upfront and honest about their true biological forms to any potential sex partners or beauty contests. People's rights go both ways (the right to live as a woman AND the right to informed consent).

#74 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

What about her?

Posted Image

Did you make that image yourself?

Come on...

#75 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Oh yes, the bleeding heart liberals are alive and well.

You don't have to be a "bleeding heart liberal" to be for personal liberty and freedom.

Isn't that what the right wing squawk about when they preciously hold onto their guns?

Edited by Buggernut, 25 March 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#76 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'd consider that cheating, and if the rules say it's not allowed, then what can you do, people cant expect to get special treatment and support because of this.

Edit: I also think you should not be allowed any plastic surgery in beauty competitions, nobody.

Totally agree. It shouldn't be a contest for those who can afford the best plastic surgeons.

Then again, it's their contest and their own ground rules. If they want to turn it into a contest for the best cut up jobs, they should honestly make it out as just that, and not pretend that it is anything else.

#77 stephanie tanner

stephanie tanner

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

He has a Y chromosome and will always be a "he". There is no surgery to fix that.

Didn't know you were a geneticist, she could be XX SRY negative. We don't know crap, so let's stop pretending and just let people do what they want so they can be happy. If you're really that rattled about it maybe you should have a good cry.

That being said, if its against the rules its against the rules. Got to respect other peoples decision making, if not just complain ;)

Edited by stephanie tanner, 25 March 2012 - 01:15 PM.

How rude!

#78 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

He has a Y chromosome and will always be a "he". There is no surgery to fix that.

This. No amount of surgeries and hormones will change this.

Posted Image

#79 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Did you make that image yourself?

Come on...

Not that good at photoshop...

#80 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

This. No amount of surgeries and hormones will change this.

Unfortunately, too many people would rather be politically correct than scientifically correct.

I do hope they are one day into the future able to perform brain transplants, so that people with souls of one gender and bodies of the other are able to swap bodies with those wanting to go the other way. Cutting themselves up and injecting all kinds of drugs into them, as they do today, just puts them in an unfortunate neither here nor there state.

#81 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I see you still haven't learned anything. Here again you're focusing solely on the 'sex' of the individual, and not on how the person identifies themselves. The entire basis of your argument is greatly flawed. I've said this once, and I'll say this again, do yourself a favour and educate yourself. Your homophobic remarks aren't winning anyone over.

If you decided to read, that is what he was talking about. :picard:

#82 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#83 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have nothing against people wanting to live life as a woman, but ex-males should be upfront and honest about their true biological forms to any potential sex partners or beauty contests. People's rights go both ways (the right to live as a woman AND the right to informed consent).

Attraction is both physical and mental.
Having the knowledge that she was once a guy is a turnoff for me, and I also don't find her to be that attractive.
What does that have to do with her being in a beauty pageant?

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#84 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Attraction is both physical and mental.
Having the knowledge that she was once a guy is a turnoff for me, and I also don't find her to be that attractive.
What does that have to do with her being in a beauty pageant?

So I should be just as eligible as (s)he is?

#85 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with it

I hope she bears your children.

#86 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

So I should be just as eligible as (s)he is?

Gee I don't know, are you a woman?
She got the surgery done, she looks like a woman, she has womanly features, she refers to herself as a woman.
I don't see the correlation. All I see is you having a hard time thinking outside of the box.

#87 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

that's not such a huge deal to some people

tbh I'm not out there looking for mtf, but it's not a deal breaker for me

disliking Community, however, is a huge deal breaker for me

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 26 March 2012 - 12:07 PM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#88 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

I like how you say this as a curse.
Like, yeah? Well I hope you're damned to have her kids!!! Yeah!!! Eat it.
Remember when people were intolerant to black people?
Damn were we stupid as a society back then.
In 50 years someone's going to find your posts about transgendered people and say something along these lines....

#89 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

If they ever find a way to implant fully functional uteruses and ovaries into transgendered people, let me know.

#90 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Remember when people were intolerant to black people?
Damn were we stupid as a society back then.
In 50 years someone's going to find your posts about transgendered people and say something along these lines....

It's okay to be intolerant towards religious people on the internet, but you'd better stay the heck away from transgenders!!
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.