The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trayvon Martin Case

ninja321

I'm sorry guys if this has been already posted but I couldn't find anything on it. But this case actually gives me chills when I read about it, its sickening that there was nothing done about this. I just found out about this today and so far from the facts I found out is that Trayvon Martin who is a black teenager went to &-Eleven to buy some candy when he was spotted by George Zimmerman who is the neighbourhood watch guy. And he called the police claiming Trayvon was acting suspicious and may be under some kind of influence and when the cops told him they'd investigate he said he'd follow him becase I quote "These people get away". George claimed he was confronted by physical assault by Martin and that he shot him in self defence but If you read more about this below or watch released 911 recordings Trayvon was screaming for help and running from him. I just hope Zimmerman get's whats coming to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

Interaction

During a break in an NBA basketball game on TV, Martin left his father's fiance's home in the gated community of Twin Lakes to walk to a nearby 7-Eleven convenience store to buy some candy. While returning to the house, Trayvon was seen by George Zimmerman,[36] who called the Sanford Police Department non-emergency number.

According to phone records provided by T-Mobile,[37] Trayvon was speaking on a cell phone at the time of the incident. Martin's girlfriend came forward, identifying herself as the other person in that conversation; she was interviewed by an attorney, who has made a statement, and her parents have requested her anonymity. The girl said that Martin expressed concern about a "strange man" following him, and she advised him to run. She claims to have heard Martin say "What are you following me for?" followed by a man's voice responding "What are you doing here?" She said that she heard the sound of pushing and that Martin's headset suddenly went silent, leading her to believe that he had been knocked down. She attempted to call him back immediately, but was unable to reach him.[38]

Zimmerman police call

Zimmerman phoned the Sanford Police Department police at the non-emergency number at approximately 7:00 p.m., February 26, 2012.[39] to report Martin’s “suspicious” behavior, which he described as “just walking around looking about.” [40] The police dispatcher tape recorded him saying, "This guy looks like he is up to no good. He is on drugs or something." He further stated that the person he was observing had his hand in his waistband, was holding something in his other hand, and was walking around slowly in the rain looking at houses.[41]

The dispatcher recommended that he not take any action, and informed him that police were on the way. Zimmerman reported that Martin had taken off. The dispatcher asked him if he was in pursuit and he affirmed that he was. The dispatcher informed him that pursuit was not necessary, saying "We don't need you to do that."[42]

A part of what Zimmerman said on the tape is unclear. Some have heard the disputed words as "???? coons", an ethnic slur used against black people, while others suggest it was "clueless", "course", or "punks".[43] Police have now said that they may have missed a potential racial slur on the call.[44]

Police arrival

When the police arrived, they reported finding Martin face-down and unresponsive, with a gunshot wound in the chest. The police report states that they attempted CPR, paramedics arrived and continued CPR, finally declaring Trayvon Martin dead at 7:30 p.m. Statements by the police say Zimmerman had grass on his back and his back was wet. Zimmerman was bleeding from the nose and the back of the head; subsequently his lawyer stated that Zimmerman's nose was broken and that wound of the back of his head normally required stitches.[45][46] Zimmerman claimed self-defense, telling police he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on, when Martin attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck. He said he fired the semiautomatic handgun because he feared for his life.[47] Martin was unarmed, and was carrying a bag of Skittles candy and a can of Arizona brand iced tea.[47][48]

A witness to the physical altercation just prior to the shooting stated that Martin was on top of Zimmerman and beating him up, while the older man yelled for help.[49] Another witness, Mary Cutcher, has said in a TV interview that "there was no punching, no hitting going on at the time, no wrestling",[50] but police say that she gave an official account to them that agreed with Zimmerman's story.[51][52] Cutcher and her roommate told CNN journalist Anderson Cooper that their own account of the incident to the police did not agree with Zimmerman's, and that they had demanded that the police retract that incorrect statement. They also said, about the police's attitude at the scene, that "they were siding with him [Zimmerman] from the start" and that they heard the pair in their backyard and a "very young voice" whining, with no sounds of a fight. They heard a gunshot; the crying stopped immediately, and they saw Zimmerman on his knees pinning Martin down on the ground.[53]

The police took Trayvon Martin's body and stored it in a morgue, calling him "John Doe".[54] Martin's family accuses the police of not asking any of the neighbors if they recognized Martin.[55] According to David Horsey, they also did not check his cell phone to find someone he knew.[56]

Heard about this incident. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade expressed their displeasure and have asked for justice against the killing. The entire Miami Heat team wore hoodies in a picture with their hoods up, to show their support.

I think that there should be a trial and see what comes out. I don't really believe Zimmerman's story on that the kid attacked him. I think he is most probably guilty, he didn't have to follow the boy, if he hadn't then none of this would have happened.

Heard about this incident. LeBron James and Dwayne Wade expressed their displeasure and have asked for justice against the killing. The entire Miami Heat team wore hoodies in a picture with their hoods up, to show their support.

I think that there should be a trial and see what comes out. I don't really believe Zimmerman's story on that the kid attacked him. I think he is most probably guilty, he didn't have to follow the boy, if he hadn't then none of this would have happened.

Two things for certain we can take from this is that it seems Zimmerman had it out for the kid (who by all accounts committed no crime) from the beginning, following him around and he clearly disobeyed and disregarded instructions from the 911 dispatcher, which in the end led to someone being killed.

I listened to the 911 tape and it seems clear to me anyways that this was racially motivated.

Throw the book at him.

Geraldo suggested that Trayvon was killed, in part, because he was wearing a hoodie and he told parents to not let their kids wear them. Something is seriously wrong when, instead of arresting people like Zimmerman, kids are being told not to wear a certain item of clothing.

Two things for certain we can take from this is that it seems Zimmerman had it out for the kid (who by all accounts committed no crime) from the beginning, following him around and he clearly disobeyed and disregarded instructions from the 911 dispatcher, which in the end led to someone being killed.

I listened to the 911 tape and it seems clear to me anyways that this was racially motivated.

Throw the book at him.

I never heard about this until now..

I'm so lost for words. After listening to the 911, my gut screams out "Foul play". I don't believe Zimmerman's story one bit. Trayvon only had skittles and an Arizona tea can with him while Zimmerman was armed with a gun. When Trayvon called his friend, his friend advised him to run away; however, Zimmerman continued to follow him even when 911 told him not too. Zimmerman was looking for trouble and unfortunately, this led to a death of a teen. I can imagine the struggle between Trayvon and Zimmerman especially when Zimmerman pulled out his gun. To me, I feel like Trayvon had to defend himself and thus, this led to reports of witnesses seeing that Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman.

My heart goes out to Trayvon Martin's family and friends. IMO, Zimmerman needs to get the book thrown at him.

Let me make it perfectly clear, im not choosing any sides here, but I like how the media is showing pictures of Trayvon when he was like what? 11-12 years old?? He was 6'3, wearing a hoodie at night, I can see how Zimmerman can mistake him for being older.

The keep making this to be another poor innocent black male being targeted by WHITE racist. First of all, Zimmerman is half latino, so why are they saying this is a white on black crime?? Why cant it just be a crime.

There was an eye witness that said Trayvon was ontop of Zimmerman beating on him before being shot. Now this is just he said she said so take it for what its worth.

My question would be, if this had been an Asian/Latino/white male, would this story be this big?? I already know the answer and that is no.

Also how come this never made national headlines http://www.theblaze....charged-attack/

Let me make it perfectly clear, im not choosing any sides here, but I like how the media is showing pictures of Trayvon when he was like what? 11-12 years old?? He was 6'3, wearing a hoodie at night, I can see how Zimmerman can mistake him for being older.

The keep making this to be another poor innocent black male being targeted by WHITE racist. First of all, Zimmerman is half latino, so why are they saying this is a white on black crime?? Why cant it just be a crime.

There was an eye witness that said Trayvon was ontop of Zimmerman beating on him before being shot. Now this is just he said she said so take it for what its worth.

My question would be, if this had been an Asian/Latino/white male, would this story be this big?? I already know the answer and that is no.

Also how come this never made national headlines http://www.theblaze....charged-attack/

Well for one thing, "Latinos" (which are an ethnic group, not a race) along with Middle Easterners as well as South and West Asians are often considered "White" for U.S. ethnic demographic purposes. The other thing is that there is probably more Brown on Black violent hate crimes these days than European-descent on Black, although it may not always considered as such.

The other thing is that for a LONG time up until not all that long ago, there were a lot of questionable killings of Black people that were basically condoned by the Jim Crow legal system, so there's this tendency to overreact when this kind of thing happens now.

Zimmerman won't get away. His face and name and where he lives is out there. If the justice system doesn't give him what he deserves, you can bet there are individuals out there who will take matters into their own hands and then Zimmerman will be wishing that the justice system had taken him in.

Zimmerman won't get away. His face and name and where he lives is out there. If the justice system doesn't give him what he deserves, you can bet there are individuals out there who will take matters into their own hands and then Zimmerman will be wishing that the justice system had taken him in.

Make an example and throw zimmerman in jail for the rest of his life. Although even that doesn't seem punishment enough to me. Prison is far too good for some criminals. If I'm walking around at night and someone starts to follow me(has happened) even I can be confrontational. The act of "following" is close enough to being considered as "assault" more so than "harassment". Tray had every right to defend HIMSELF if being followed. And zimmermans act of "following" to me could be considered as "premeditation" to the murder specially if asked not to by a 911 operator.

Archived