The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atlanta Thrashers Jerseys Thrown On Ice At Nashville Game

Not surprising, but they must have been pretty upset that their team was uprooted and moved to Winnipeg. This was their second time losing an NHL franchise. There may not have been many fans, but there definitely were. Furthermore, their management didn't care about the Thrashers anyway.

Think about it- what if the Canucks were relocated? Wouldn't you be upset?

I know someone from Atlanta and the NHL is never even talked about down there. When i brought up the Thrashers they laughed. This league was considered bigger than the NBA at one time according to Sports Illustrated in the early 90's, Bettman comes along and fixes what isn't broke.

1. Fighting gets taken away more and more, at the time of the article there was still an enforcer spot on the roster. I wonder if most people know that during the strike in the mid-90's the players shafted all the enforcers. Now star players get injured left right and center. Look at Wayne Gretzky's and Lemieux's games played in a "more violent" era, althought i have to say guys running up behind players and giving them head shots is a lot more violent then a fight. The people that put fightin in hockey weren't a bunch of idiots, they knew some things should get settled like when you fight with your brother, things settle down. But these fightin haters just don't want to get that, no matter how true it is. The facts are there. Star players played in the past. How awesome of the players to shaft those extra 2 roster slots for their greedy asses, serves them right when the leagues ratings getter, Crosby, is injured. Would've never happened in the 80s, GUARANTEED! And the guy that made the hit if he attempted it, would've got pummeled in a 2 on 1 brawl and never seen in the NHL again. What would you rather have? Dirty head shots, or fights? Anyways...

2. A seemingly instant goal of moving teams down south in markets that aren't ready for it. Sure they might get 8,000 a game in the minor leagues but those games also cost like 5 bucks to those guys.

The say if it ain't broke don't fix it, well Bettman fixed what wasn't broke and backtracked the NHL to a 6th place league in the states instead of it being considered ahead of the NBA. If Bettman left hockey the way it was, it would be not only more exciting but would be more popular.

I"d rather have a human fist go to the head than some kind of galvonized plastic armor to daniel sedins dome.

Everyone loves UFC right? (i'm not a fan really tho) Bars are packed everytime there's a PPV. I just don't get the logic. Some kid dies in an accident that hasn't happened since the game was played in the 1860's and its because of fighting. What happened if the kid lost his helmet in an elbow to a head and hit his head on the ice, or even a clean body check, no more hitting?

I bet hockey would've worked down south if they didn't change it to a completely different sport almost.

season ticket holders who blew away tens of thousands of dollars, and got let down by the league need a way to protest.

i applaud them. As hard as bettman is has fought tooth and nail to keep the dead coyotes on life support (for reasons know one knows)

Nobody ever put up any kind of effort for the thrashers.

ANd for those making fun of thrasher fans, (they must be new "fans")

On the back of an Epic finals appearance a couple years prior, The canucks in the late 90s were struggling badly, losing money, bottom feeders and were at a HUGE risk of relocation. This in a very large canadian Hockey city, With a long hockey background, and recent relative success (canucks were a decent team early to mid 90s)

Dont even get me started on the grizzlies.... The second major team vancouver tried to support (and failed miserably)

How can you expect a southern american city, with very little hockey background to get behind a perennial loser, When vancouver fans almost abandoned their team after a couple years of failure

Archived