The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burnstein And/or Nucks Med Staff Should Be Fired

rizzuto&hatoum

I'm not gonna go as far as saying people need to lose their jobs, etc. But isn't this like the most basic first aid training? You don't move a guy when there's danger of spine/neck injury. Also... I remember during the Chicago game, the commentators mentioned that Daniel was getting his jaw X-Ray'd. How long after he left the bench was that? Did he spend 15 minutes in the quiet room?

I DONT AGREE WITH FIRING THEM AND I DO THINK THIS POST IS USELESS BUT I WILL AGREE THAT RAYMAY SHOULDNT OF BEEN ABLE TO SKATE OFF ON HIS OWN AND I ALSO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD OF CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT KESLER NEEDED SURGERY A WEEK AFTER THE SEASON ENDED AND NOT AS LONG AS IT TOOK. BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENE AND MAYBE THEY HAD GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE. POINTLESS THREAD OP.

For all those that are unaware of Linden17s' keyboard issue he is not yelling at us. He simply has spilled on his keyboard and many of the letters will not work in lower case. I suggest we take up a small collection so he can purchase a new keyboard.

True story peeps.

Actually this is only if the other player received a major and game misconduct I believe.

And really, REALLY?! We don't complain enough about the coaching staff and players that now we are turning our attention to the medical staff? What next? The zamboni driver did a poor job of smoothing the ice?

They were Team Canada's medical staff, and are called the best medical staff in the NHL for a reason.....not to mention, their so good at evaluating an injury and helping players rehab, that our injured players usually come back way before they were thought too; just shows how good they are.

Anyways, for you, sorry man, but :picard:

Certainty right to question the Raymond situation, that was a major frackup and they can thank their lucky stars no further damage was done to Raymond.

I think in regards to situations dealing with a concussion its hard to really judge what a player was feeling and you kinda just gotta go by what the player tells you. tho part of me says its ???? Daniel Sedin in a meaningless game why the hell would u even let him risk it..

Burnstein and/or the medical staff should be fired for their incompetent handling of the Daniel Sedin and other injuries. Should Daniel have played the pp shift after the Keith elbow? Ok, maybe a warrior like Daniel convinced Burnstein that he could play the next shift but he should have been sent back to Vancouver right away and not having to travel to Dallas first.

Other examples of lousy assessments by training and medical staff - Mason Raymond should have been taken off on a stretcher in the Boston series; the wrong diagnosis on Cody Hodgson, etc. It even goes back to the Mike Robitaille lawsuit back in the 1970s.

The medical and training staff of NHL teams are not infallible.

Take the Mike Robitaille case. Per wikipedia, "Robitaille's career ended pre-maturely in 1977 when he was blind-sided by Dennis Owchar of the Pittsburgh Penguins, which caused nerve damage in his neck. He would later win a lawsuit against the Canucks for mistreating his injuries."

Someone on this forum wrote the following (so it must be true) - "Robitaille was suffering through back pains. Canucks management gave him valium and told him to continue playing. His worst injury came after he was creamed with a blind-sided hit by Dennis Owchar after which he had a bruised spine at the base of his skull. He would continue the season, and then didn’t show up for training camp the next year. Robitaille would sue the Canucks, who would counter-sue for breach of contract. Robitaille would never play hockey again, but wound up winning a $355,000 settlement from the Canucks."

Then, there is the Dave Babych lawsuit vs the Flyers' doctor in 2002.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/10/31/babych021031.html

Dave Babych was awarded $1.37 million US by a jury on Thursday.

Babych, 41, will be compensated $1.02 million US in lost wages and $350,000 US for pain and suffering.

The six-woman, three-man jury ruled that improper treatment of a broken left foot forced the former Philadelphia Flyer defenceman to end his career prematurely.

Babych had long claimed his 18-year NHL career was cut short because the Flyers forced him to play injured.

So he sued Comcast-Spectacor, the corporate owner of the Flyers, and former Flyers physician Dr. Arthur Bartolozzi for $2.3 million US plus damages.

Because a judge earlier dismissed Comcast-Spectacor as a defendant, citing a lack of evidence proving the team committed fraud or misrepresentation, Bartolozzi is liable for the entire $1.37 million US reward.

Babych suffered the injury blocking a slap shot on April 8, 1998, and recalled telling then-Flyers head coach Roger Neilson that he would be unavailable for Philadelphia's playoff series against the Buffalo Sabres two weeks later.

Babych testified Neilson ordered him to play and that he received pain-numbing injections in his fractured foot, which Bartolozzi originally diagnosed as a bone bruise.

Babych not only played the entire series, but another full season before calling it a career.

Though the jury ruled Bartolozzi failed to use accepted standards in treating the injury, it was reluctant to charge him with fraud.

I, too, was dumbfounded when Raymond was "helped" off the ice. Not sure who dropped the ball there, but found it very strange at the time to see:

vancouver-canucks-mason-raymond-broken-back-2011-stanley-cup-finals.jpg

It was in Boston....shouldn't they be the ones supply stretchers/paramedics? Not sure it was our guys who dropped the ball - seemed to be a lack of response within the arena. Which wouldn't surprise me at all with the lowlife organization they run.

As for Danny, initial assessments likely include asking the player for their own evaluation in an "are you ok to go?" way. I'd imagine Danny thought he was, but quickly realized he wasn't. It's easy to say in hindsight that they "should have known", but many do take high hits and are ok to carry on. So you have to rely on how the player, themself, is responding I'm sure.

Archived