The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burnstein And/or Nucks Med Staff Should Be Fired

rizzuto&hatoum

Hey champ, Daniel has a concussion. Did you know you're not suppose to fly right away or until it is properly diagnosed? Probably didn't know that did you yet you wanted to fly him right to Vancouver, a long flight where anything related to his health could have gone wrong.

And what the hell are your credentials? Are you a doctor? Maybe a medical student? How are you even remotely close to be giving professional advice on the health of the Canucks?

I, too, was dumbfounded when Raymond was "helped" off the ice. Not sure who dropped the ball there, but found it very strange at the time to see:

vancouver-canucks-mason-raymond-broken-back-2011-stanley-cup-finals.jpg

It was in Boston....shouldn't they be the ones supply stretchers/paramedics? Not sure it was our guys who dropped the ball - seemed to be a lack of response within the arena. Which wouldn't surprise me at all with the lowlife organization they run.

As for Danny, initial assessments likely include asking the player for their own evaluation in an "are you ok to go?" way. I'd imagine Danny thought he was, but quickly realized he wasn't. It's easy to say in hindsight that they "should have known", but many do take high hits and are ok to carry on. So you have to rely on how the player, themself, is responding I'm sure.

Burnstein and/or the medical staff should be fired for their incompetent handling of the Daniel Sedin and other injuries. Should Daniel have played the pp shift after the Keith elbow? Ok, maybe a warrior like Daniel convinced Burnstein that he could play the next shift but he should have been sent back to Vancouver right away and not having to travel to Dallas first.

Other examples of lousy assessments by training and medical staff - Mason Raymond should have been taken off on a stretcher in the Boston series; the wrong diagnosis on Cody Hodgson, etc. It even goes back to the Mike Robitaille lawsuit back in the 1970s.

Well, I'd say we've pretty much come full circle.

We had calls for AV, Bones, Gillis and Brown to be fired, virtually everyone on the roster to be traded....

...about the only thing left was the medical/training staff.

On the plus side, I think Pat O'Neill's job is safe....

I DONT AGREE WITH FIRING THEM AND I DO THINK THIS POST IS USELESS BUT I WILL AGREE THAT RAYMAY SHOULDNT OF BEEN ABLE TO SKATE OFF ON HIS OWN AND I ALSO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD OF CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT KESLER NEEDED SURGERY A WEEK AFTER THE SEASON ENDED AND NOT AS LONG AS IT TOOK. BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT GOES ON BEHIND THE SCENE AND MAYBE THEY HAD GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE. POINTLESS THREAD OP.

Well, I'd say we've pretty much come full circle.

We had calls for AV, Bones, Gillis and Brown to be fired, virtually everyone on the roster to be traded....

...about the only thing left was the medical/training staff.

On the plus side, I think Pat O'Neill's job is safe....

Burnstein and/or the medical staff should be fired for their incompetent handling of the Daniel Sedin and other injuries. Should Daniel have played the pp shift after the Keith elbow? Ok, maybe a warrior like Daniel convinced Burnstein that he could play the next shift but he should have been sent back to Vancouver right away and not having to travel to Dallas first.

Other examples of lousy assessments by training and medical staff - Mason Raymond should have been taken off on a stretcher in the Boston series; the wrong diagnosis on Cody Hodgson, etc. It even goes back to the Mike Robitaille lawsuit back in the 1970s.

give ur head a shake mr troll, the staff is great. that was daniels call to skate the next shift. the only blunder is that may ray should have been carted off on a back board with c spin imbolization. Just a stretcher wouldn't have done anything but hockey players are taught at a young age to get to the bench if your hurt so im pretty sure it was may rays call on that

But it isn't the training staff's job to 'diagnose'. They are more specifically "first response" when something happens on the ice and even those who've only taken a St Johns OFA level 1 Saturday course would assume a person has a spinal injury if:

• There's evidence of a head injury with an ongoing change in the person's level of consciousness

• The person complains of severe pain in his or her neck or back

• The person won't move his or her neck or torso

• An injury has exerted substantial force on the back or head

• The person complains of weakness, numbness or paralysis or lacks control of his or her limbs, bladder or bowels

• The neck or back is twisted or positioned oddly

...and in the case that any number of these were readily observed, you immobilize the patient C spine not encourage them to get up and skate off with the assistance of a couple of other players.

I can still recall watching the Raymond injury unfold and asking WTF are they doing?? He's obviously suffered a spine related injury and they don't even immobilize him and handle him properly. They made the guy get to his feet and make his way to the bench so we could show those Bruins they aren't so tough. Imagine the consequences if that single action caused permanent and irreprable damage. The training staff should have been hauled up on the carpet for the handling of the Raymond injury without a doubt.

Archived