The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Phaneuf For Schneider... Would You Do It?

CanucksFan#2121

Phaneuf has his good and bad

His good is that he has a very good offensive touch. He has scored 10+ goals in 4 out of 5 seasons i think. He also has upwards of 40 points in those seasons (except when he dipped a bit with calgary).

HIs bad is the defensive liability. He is a hybrid between a Defense and a Forward. He pinches way too much, joins the rush when he shouldn't and that often causes turnovers and odd man rushes.

That said i wouldn't mind him with the canucks but not for Schneider. I'd take him in a deal for Ballard and another throw in to match salary.

edit: his lowest goal total is 8 and lowest point total is 32. not bad. but not worth 6.5 million.

highest goal total is 20 and highest point total is 60.

Ballard could put up similar numbers with some PP time, play at least as well defensively, and save us a couple of million dollars in salary. Even straight up, I wouldn't do Ballard for Phaneuf. Schneider could actually get us something better than what we've already got.

Phaneuf has his good and bad

His good is that he has a very good offensive touch. He has scored 10+ goals in 4 out of 5 seasons i think. He also has upwards of 40 points in those seasons (except when he dipped a bit with calgary).

HIs bad is the defensive liability. He is a hybrid between a Defense and a Forward. He pinches way too much, joins the rush when he shouldn't and that often causes turnovers and odd man rushes.

That said i wouldn't mind him with the canucks but not for Schneider. I'd take him in a deal for Ballard and another throw in to match salary.

Ballard could put up similar numbers with some PP time, play at least as well defensively, and save us a couple of million dollars in salary. Even straight up, I wouldn't do Ballard for Phaneuf. Schneider could actually get us something better than what we've already got.

Do people wake up in the middle of the night with crazy trade ideas and just can't wait to post them here? I was under the impression that threads had to be well thought out? Just to blurt something out that you thought of while taking a dump doesn't deserve its own thread

Interesting to hear about how he's doing under Carlyle: no doubt there's a lot of ability there and it still might not be too late to make a better player out of him. But it would take a certain kind of coach ...

fair enough. I think under the carlyle system he's playing much better. His play under run and gun system was not what i prefer but last 4 games he's been decent. I know cuz i live in Toronto and have to suffer through Leaf games on sportsnet.

I think he's an upgrade over Ballard but not worth the extra 2.5 million.

Archived