The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Kassian

beer&meat

I love beer and Meat, and I love this Kassian kid too. He needs to keep it simple and try and learn from every shift in this league right now and he'll be fine. He just needs to chalk up some experience. Playing in his first playoffs, and training in this off season will get him more NHL ready for next year. He just needs to keep it simple and lay out the body, crash the net, play good defense etc..

Kassian/Raymond/Wiese

Highly doubt any of them perform in the playoffs...I'm holding out that Kassian will at least start hitting again. Raymond will go back to being useless but stranger things have happened and he may actually do something these playoffs for the first time.

I guess those who know anything about hockey use a 3 game span to judge a player :lol:

Anyone that knows squat about this team or hockey would also tell you that Raymond is the streakiest player on this team and will be coming back down to earth soon. He will continue to be the whipping boy just wait and see. Countdown to Raymond being hated on in5 games maybe less commences.

I sure hope Zack picks up his level of nastiness in the playoffs. He doesn't get many hits and needs to impose himself in front of the opponents net a little more. His two role models should be Lucic and Neil and a little Bert thrown in.

do we really need a whipping boy?......shouldn't we be rooting for all the players, that are trying to bring the cup to vancouver?

unless i'm missing something, i've never understood, the whipping boy theory....does having a whipping boy, make our team better, or is it strictly for the amusement of some bored teenagers?

Yes, /topic/326209-dear-kassian/">I read the thread stating Zack is the new whipping boy- I don't think he is though.

Zack isn't in a slump. I think anyone who "knows squat about hockey" would know that G, A, and P do not relate to a players value on their respective teams.

Kass right now is playing a low-scoring, high pressure system. He is not in a cold streak. First of all, he is being lined up with checkers, and he is fulfilling that role as well if not better than they are themselves.

Future wise, Kassian will be relied upon for secondary scoring, but right now his defensive game is being developed properly by management. I wouldn't want to see him abandon his defensively sound game just to please the CDC crowd by scoring a few goals here or there.

Kudos to Kassian for playing the part of "whipping boy" for certain "fans" who are "all-knowing".

I guess I am not.

Jon

I love beer and Meat, and I love this Kassian kid too. He needs to keep it simple and try and learn from every shift in this league. He will be fine. He just needs to chalk up some experience. Playing in his first playoffs, and training in this off season will get him more NHL ready for next year. He just needs to keep it simple right now and lay out the body, crash the net, play good defense etc..

Nice pre-emptive strike there OP.

A couple half-wits on the CBC might criticize Kassian, but they don't really know what they are talking about, and were only doing that in their little trolling way because they were trying to pump Hodgson's tires by contrast after his spectacular empty net goal...

I think Kassian has played all around sound hockey and will step up when the games get bigger - as mentioned, he played great against St Louis - he played great against Buffalo - he stepped up his game against Chicago - the thing is - he is a rookie - he seems to be taking his cue from his veteran team-mates and matching their intensity - he is not trying to be a world buster, or stand out, but is doing his best to perform his role. When the games get amped up, I think we will continue to see his upside. I love what I have seen from Zack - in a lot of ways - has anyone seen him take a bad penalty (he had a seriously lame one called on him... but he has been very disciplined despite the hitting) - how many mistakes has he made, or how many times has he failed to work hard, back check etc? I think he has done a great job, and this is only the beginning...

How about we shift the whipping boy thing to the media personalities who always feel entitled to single one out?

I nominate the idiots at the Province.

sorry guys my computer is dumb. :sadno:

Anyways like I was trying to say I think that really the only people on the ice we should not like are the opposing team and the refs. Lets actually do something amazing and cheer for our players!!

How anyone here can rip on Kassian so quickly is completely beyond me. The kid has massive amounts of natural talent and already shows maturity in his puck sense for his age and experience. Plus his size doesn't hurt at all. Beyond the obvious Bertuzzi comparisons, comparisons I'm sure he will be capable of living up to eventually, I've already seen him make a few rather brilliant feeds along with having a good overall offensive vision. If you know hockey and you're watching the same games I am, you have seen this as well. He knows where he needs to be on the ice even on a brand new team and system, and most times he's there - ALREADY. I've seen more seasoned players that take months to fit in to a new club after a trade.

+ let's face it, no one starts out being a smart bomb straight out of the gate. You have to expect a kid in his position will have rough edges to start. All the best players needed time to come into their own and Kassian is no different.

Just watch what happens during the playoffs, because with playoff hockey everything is put into hyper drive. His learning curve will get a lot more intense and focused. You're gonna see him come out of the first round playing better than he is now, the second round playing better than the first, and so on. This dude will click and bang out hits and points rather quickly me thinks, and every Canuck fan watching is gonna be lucky to witness to a premier player at the beginning of a brilliant career.

As an aside, I love talking hockey but I really have to say this forum sells people down the frikin river so quickly man, sometimes it's just rotten how quickly the worm turns on these boards. I'm not talking about the fans who log in from other teams, I'm talking about actual Canucks fans. Look at the grief Lou takes, MayRay, e.t.c... Even Gillis, the guy who put together this team and allow us to even consider a SC. Even he gets grief from the knuckleheads for making a trade that was, for all intents and purposes, obvious. A trade that was just flat our necessary both for our needs and for Hodgson's career. Guess I just wish the doomsayers would pi$$ off and go play in traffic or something. Runs me nuts. Healthy critisicim is needed no doubt, but these millions of paranoid rants? Not so much. Hell the Hodgson whining is still going on even though it's so completely redundant. It's almost like some of the people here want the Canucks to fail just so their words can allow some satisfaction be applied to their otherwise small, pathetic, unimportant lives.

Kassian will blow us away, I have no doubt about it. I'll even go out on a limb and say it will be sooner rather than later. When he does, I can't wait to see these useless knobs try and explain away their unnecessarily negative comments, along with all the 'jumping the gun' going on.

Archived