The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boudreau On Ref: “I Was Ready To Hit Him”

NHL, instead of making these 50/50 calls, how about just change the darn rules?

Will it ruin the game to make it illegal for players to be in the crease? I'd say 90% of all players screening are standing outside the crease anyways.

I don't blame him. It was a terrible call. Not only was Turco able to move freely he did move freely and still missed the puck.

Maybe more importantly is that this kind of thing happens dozens of times a week and is ignored.

Have I ever mentioned NHL refs are either inconsistent, incompetent or blatantly/wilfully ignorant to what happens on the ice.

I don't blame him. It was a terrible call. Not only was Turco able to move freely he did move freely and still missed the puck.

Maybe more importantly is that this kind of thing happens dozens of times a week and is ignored.

Have I ever mentioned NHL refs are either inconsistent, incompetent or blatantly/wilfully ignorant to what happens on the ice.

I think that's a crappy call and don't blame Bruce for being pissed. The ref 10 feet away said it was a good goal. He saw that Turco wasn't touched or impeded from making the save in any way. Sometimes that outside ref just needs to shut the hell up.

Just seeing this now. Yeesh, tough call for Boudreau and the Ducks.

At least this helps dispel some of the notion that Vancouver is the only team that gets screwed over by the officials. This off-season I hope the League takes a look at how things went during the campaign this year and maybe take a closer look at things like "coach's challenges" and such.

Apparently the game is being played at such a pace now that even with modern technology at our disposal the calls on ice still seem to get muddled with alarming frequency.

Just seeing this now. Yeesh, tough call for Boudreau and the Ducks.

At least this helps dispel some of the notion that Vancouver is the only team that gets screwed over by the officials. This off-season I hope the League takes a look at how things went during the campaign this year and maybe take a closer look at things like "coach's challenges" and such.

Apparently the game is being played at such a pace now that even with modern technology at our disposal the calls on ice still seem to get muddled with alarming frequency.

Check TSN highlights of Pit - NJ game, around 40 sec mark. Crosby is in crease right where Broudeur needs to kick leg to make save. Goal was allowed.

Worse than that last week Wpg-Pit. Malkin bumps goalie and Neal scores on the scramble.

Try watching some hockey and you will see it on a regular basis.

That's not correct, the ref was saying it was a good goal as in the puck went into the net, also with his view he might not have seen Cogliano in the crease. The other ref and linesman got together to discuss the call and based on rule 69 they reversed the goal which was the right call.

How about we put it back to you... I can't remember the last time this rule was enforced without there being contact with the goalie. Actually, yes I can. The last specific time I can remember this being called was back when Bertuzzi was still a Canuck. It seems pretty rare. I'm not saying it hasn't happened since; I'm saying it feels like a rarer occurrence than you suggest.

How is that not correct? The ref is right there. How can he not see what is right in front of him? The over-head shows it all, no impeding of Turco at all....and considering the shot was short side, Turco should have been able to see it but it seems as if his eyes were closed. Goals like that count all the time, as they should.

That's a goal. If you disagree, you are blind.

Even if they were trying to say that Turco's glove hand was impeded, the puck was on the far side and was already through the crease by the time Turco even reacted.

The zebras handed that game to the Bs. No question in my mind.

Archived