The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boudreau On Ref: “I Was Ready To Hit Him”

Bruce Boudreau red hot after a controversial non-goal:

During Bruce Boudreau‘s four months here, we’ve learned that he is entertaining. And fiery.

The Ducks’ coach displayed both traits after an emotional 3-2 loss to Boston on Sunday, saying he had to fight the urge to punch Rob Martell, one of the game’s referees.

The Ducks were upset when Matt Beleskey‘s apparent tying goal midway through the third period was disallowed because Andrew Cogliano was in the crease.

Asked what Martell told him by way of explanation, Boudreau, who confronted the official near the bench, said, “Well, I didn’t really give him much of a chance to say too much. I was ready to hit him.”

More Boudreau: “What do you want me to say? It cost us. It cost us the game. Sure they got another goal, but, I mean, we would have played completely different if it was a 2-2 tie with 10 minutes to go.

“I don’t know. I give up trying to figure these guys out.”

Other than that, it was a pretty uninteresting night at Honda Center.

http://ducks.ocregis...hit-him/108723/

It was the right call.

NHL Rule 69:

Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal.

I think that's a crappy call and don't blame Bruce for being pissed. The ref 10 feet away said it was a good goal. He saw that Turco wasn't touched or impeded from making the save in any way. Sometimes that outside ref just needs to shut the hell up.

I love Boudreau's emotions haha. There didn't seem to be any contact with Turco, and even so, I don't see how his movement could have been restricted if the player was on Turco's left and the puck went in on his right. That's just me though. Too bad for the Ducks.

It's tough. I'm a goalie and if Cogliano was where I was, even though there is no contact, it impedes me from being able to outstretch my arm and leg to where he is standing, and therefore I see where the refs come in.

one thing I have to say though is thank you Turco for not making a huge scene. He just let the refs do their job and that's it. He stood there and watched, didn't pull the whole Osgood-esque dive around the crease followed by 45 seconds of spitting at the ref

Archived