The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Interesting Unrestricted Free Agents

If Rolston were signed, I think it would be cool to see him get a shot with the Sedins, but I doubt a permanent role. He's shown his age already and he is no longer reliable. He looks rejuvenated with the Bruins, but it would be too risky to pen him on the 1st line after his Islanders stint IMO.

Yeah you're right, I just thought it might be good for him, since all of his successful years were with great linemates.

New Jersey - Patrik Elias & Jason Arnott

Boston - Joe Thornton & Sergei Samsonov

Wild - Marian Gaborik & Mikko Koivu

NJ again - Patrik Elias & Jamie Langenbrunner

NY Islanders - .......... Josh Bailey & Michael Grabner

Boston again - Chris Kelly & Benoit Pouliot

Vancouver - ................ Sedins? :bigblush:

Kristian Huselius might be the perfect fit.

He has 195 assists in 429 games since the lockout. That counts the last two seasons which have been absolutely injury riddled. But that might be a blessing in disguise for some team. He'll come cheap and won't cost any assets.

If Gillis could get this guy on a 1 year/3.8 million dollar deal or something similar, that could end up being a steal.

He has been on my next year roster for a while... I don't think he costs you that much even. He is kind of injury prone, and he hasn't had much of a sniff of the playoffs and would probably happily come play for a contender. He is almost strictly a playmaker and if he could get Booth/Kesler the puck it could be a great line.

If he fails (a la Sturm) it doesn't really cost us much.

I'm still not happy with having Ballard, Tanev, Rome or Gragnani on our bottom pairing.

Please MG get us some defensive depth. Bieksa and Edler are showing they're not top defencemen during these playoffs, and if our top guys are struggling then we're in trouble. We need some big, physical defencemen like Allen or Kubina who play a solid defensive game because I'm sick of all these smooth-skating puck movers like Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Gragnani who keep making defensive mistakes, getting caught out of position or gambling and leaving our poor goalies out to dry.

Although Semin's cap-hit is rediculous, he has picked up his Defensive game significantly and he is been one of the best players in the Boston series so far IMO. Dumping Luongo's contract and SOMEHOW Ballard and/or Raymonds contract we could afford him. He could be our Mogilny scoring, the Russian Sniper that could score at will and be kept out of trouble here in Van. Our coaches wouldn't allow any bullcrap cherry picking and force him to play to his potential. Just imagine

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Semin-Kesler-Booth

SUCH A SCARY POWERPLAY!!!!!!

I'm still not happy with having Ballard, Tanev, Rome or Gragnani on our bottom pairing.

Please MG get us some defensive depth. Bieksa and Edler are showing they're not top defencemen during these playoffs, and if our top guys are struggling then we're in trouble. We need some big, physical defencemen like Allen or Kubina who play a solid defensive game because I'm sick of all these smooth-skating puck movers like Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Gragnani who keep making defensive mistakes, getting caught out of position or gambling and leaving our poor goalies out to dry.

• 2 weeks later...

10 to 1 Gillis goes after Jim Slater. Canucks are obviously in need of a 3rd line centre, I don't think they re-sign Pahlsson after the playoff debacle.

Gillis loves advanced stats, seems to target players with good underlying numbers (I read a good article about this, but can't find it now). Slater is Malhotra/Pahlsson_v2. He's younger (29), cheaper and plays all the hard minutes that Canucks require of their 3rd line centre:

- Starts all shifts in the d-zone - Check

- Plays against opponents top lines - Check

- Physical (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd be 2nd on team in hits) - Check

- Blocks shots (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd lead all forwards in BS) - Check

- Good in faceoff dot (54.4%) - Check

- Can chip in offensively (13G, 8A despite playing with the crap linemates all yr) - Check

Sign Jim Slater - 2 yrs X $3.6M (Gives Schroeder 2 more yrs to develop). Centering Hansen and Higgy, these guys would be dynamite.

I agree slater could be a great 3 line center pickup

10 to 1 Gillis goes after Jim Slater. Canucks are obviously in need of a 3rd line centre, I don't think they re-sign Pahlsson after the playoff debacle.

Gillis loves advanced stats, seems to target players with good underlying numbers (I read a good article about this, but can't find it now). Slater is Malhotra/Pahlsson_v2. He's younger (29), cheaper and plays all the hard minutes that Canucks require of their 3rd line centre:

- Starts all shifts in the d-zone - Check

- Plays against opponents top lines - Check

- Physical (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd be 2nd on team in hits) - Check

- Blocks shots (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd lead all forwards in BS) - Check

- Good in faceoff dot (54.4%) - Check

- Can chip in offensively (13G, 8A despite playing with the crap linemates all yr) - Check

Sign Jim Slater - 2 yrs X $3.6M (Gives Schroeder 2 more yrs to develop). Centering Hansen and Higgy, these guys would be dynamite.

Archived