The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Interesting Unrestricted Free Agents

I wouldn't mind having BMo back on the team. He may have lost his offensive touch, but coming back to Vancouver could help him regain it. I'd think he'd be a good fit for the 4th line, and you can never have too many centers.

I would love to have Vokoun, but would he be willing to play backup?

It may just be me, but I'm 140% sure he won't go to the Canucks. Regardless of who owns the team and who plays there, it is still the organization, the city, the arena. Last time I checked, family comes first.

There is rumbling that Brad Stuart will go back to San Jose. His wife is from there, and he lives there in the off-season. Either there, or he stays in Detroit IMO.

EDIT: I would love Dennis Wideman on the Nucks.

Brad Stuart or Pavel Kubina for the 2nd pairing. If Wideman doesn't sign, Tanev gets bumped up and Salo reti... then sign Sheldon Brookbank for the #6 role. Decent skater, can fight and was one of only a few Ducks to not be a "minus" when the team was slumping.

Hammer - Bieksa

Edler - Stuart/ Kubina (I'll take Colaiacovo if the other two aren't available)/ Tanev

EDIT: what makes people think Wideman and Edler will go well together? Aren't they both basically strictly offensively oriented, even though they have the wheels to cover their mistakes? Who'll cover their own zone when they turn it over?

I dont think MG will get Wideman. He will be so sought after and therefore too expensive on the open market. MG has always gone for the lower profile players in Free Agency. Unless he trades for his rights at the draft which is a possibility. But will still be in the 5mil+ range in that situation I believe

I dont think MG will get Wideman. He will be so sought after and therefore too expensive on the open market. MG has always gone for the lower profile players in Free Agency. Unless he trades for his rights at the draft which is a possibility. But will still be in the 5mil+ range in that situation I believe

It is hard to say though. If the PP stays cold and the Canucks have a 1st round exit or something like that, Gillis will have to make some kind of move to improve things. Bringing in a top-4 defenseman to play with Edler might end up being a necessity more than a choice, especially if Salo retires, unless management trusts Tanev enough.

Sadly with the new CBA coming we're going to have be careful with the money we spend

Usually that means building up for prospects and not spending big time on big money players.

I could see us going after Schultz, and cheap depth players. But maybe if Parise wants to take Kesler money at 5m /year maybe he fits in as he replaces Raymond's 2.5m salary.

Also that Yakupov looks like a good player, but I digress.

After watching Asham lately I would really like to see him on the 4th line. He started the year playing some pretty half-ass hockey, but has really started to hit his stride again as a solid 4th liner.

And the Philly-Pits game? Even though what he did was probably over the line, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to bring to the Nucks' 4th line.

He's on pace for about 20 points again, pretty solid for a 4th liner.

92 hits in 62 games.

Averaging 9 minutes a game. A bit more than Weise and about the same as Ebbett.

I would perfer Tootoo, but that guy is probably gonna demand 1.5 million at last on the open market, which might be too much for the Canucks' 4th line.

Malhotra - Lapierre - Asham would be a pretty good 4th line, if Lapierre is returned to that role.

He has 11 points in his last 30 playoff games. Once again, not bad for a 4th liner.

1 year @ 950,000 would probably be a fair offer.

Guess it depends how he does in this year's playoffs though.

Archived