Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Interesting Unrestricted Free Agents

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#91 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Dear god no! Semin has no heart and does not belong on this team.

10 points in Washington's last 9 and most important games. 30 points in 37 career playoff games.

Not bad for a player with 'no heart' who would be a 2nd liner here.

Now has 2/7 of the Caps goals in the first round (only player who has more than 1 goal), including last game's GWG to tie the series.

Not to mention that shotblock that got him onto Coach's Corner B).

Just because a talented player struggles, doesn't mean he doesn't have heart. If the Canucks have the opportunity to snag him, I hope they think hard about it at the very least. Sedin - Sedin - Semin on the PP would be incredible.

#92 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

I'm still not happy with having Ballard, Tanev, Rome or Gragnani on our bottom pairing.

Please MG get us some defensive depth. Bieksa and Edler are showing they're not top defencemen during these playoffs, and if our top guys are struggling then we're in trouble. We need some big, physical defencemen like Allen or Kubina who play a solid defensive game because I'm sick of all these smooth-skating puck movers like Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Gragnani who keep making defensive mistakes, getting caught out of position or gambling and leaving our poor goalies out to dry.
Posted Image

#93 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Although Semin's cap-hit is rediculous, he has picked up his Defensive game significantly and he is been one of the best players in the Boston series so far IMO. Dumping Luongo's contract and SOMEHOW Ballard and/or Raymonds contract we could afford him. He could be our Mogilny scoring, the Russian Sniper that could score at will and be kept out of trouble here in Van. Our coaches wouldn't allow any bullcrap cherry picking and force him to play to his potential. Just imagine

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Semin-Kesler-Booth

SUCH A SCARY POWERPLAY!!!!!!
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#94 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm still not happy with having Ballard, Tanev, Rome or Gragnani on our bottom pairing.

Please MG get us some defensive depth. Bieksa and Edler are showing they're not top defencemen during these playoffs, and if our top guys are struggling then we're in trouble. We need some big, physical defencemen like Allen or Kubina who play a solid defensive game because I'm sick of all these smooth-skating puck movers like Bieksa, Edler, Ballard and Gragnani who keep making defensive mistakes, getting caught out of position or gambling and leaving our poor goalies out to dry.

I agree it would be good for the Canucks to add a big body, but not just for the sake of adding a big body (a la Alberts). If they can land a big body that can play (like Kubina) that would be great.

Although Semin's cap-hit is rediculous, he has picked up his Defensive game significantly and he is been one of the best players in the Boston series so far IMO. Dumping Luongo's contract and SOMEHOW Ballard and/or Raymonds contract we could afford him. He could be our Mogilny scoring, the Russian Sniper that could score at will and be kept out of trouble here in Van. Our coaches wouldn't allow any bullcrap cherry picking and force him to play to his potential. Just imagine

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Semin-Kesler-Booth

SUCH A SCARY POWERPLAY!!!!!!

Well, Semin is a UFA, so it is unclear how much he will be making next year. Another goal for him today, so he has 3/10 for the Caps or 30% and still the only player with more than 1 goal.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Whitney - Kesler - Semin
Higgins - Lapierre - Booth
Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen

Yes please.

And yes, a PP unit of:

Sedin - Sedin - Semin
Edler - Kesler

Would be lights out.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 21 April 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#95 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Dennis Wideman is struggling offensively in these playoffs. I wonder if this will make his value go down a bit. I still hope GMMG tries to get him on a contract.

#96 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

10 to 1 Gillis goes after Jim Slater. Canucks are obviously in need of a 3rd line centre, I don't think they re-sign Pahlsson after the playoff debacle.

Gillis loves advanced stats, seems to target players with good underlying numbers (I read a good article about this, but can't find it now). Slater is Malhotra/Pahlsson_v2. He's younger (29), cheaper and plays all the hard minutes that Canucks require of their 3rd line centre:
- Starts all shifts in the d-zone - Check
- Plays against opponents top lines - Check
- Physical (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd be 2nd on team in hits) - Check
- Blocks shots (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd lead all forwards in BS) - Check
- Good in faceoff dot (54.4%) - Check
- Can chip in offensively (13G, 8A despite playing with the crap linemates all yr) - Check

Sign Jim Slater - 2 yrs X $3.6M (Gives Schroeder 2 more yrs to develop). Centering Hansen and Higgy, these guys would be dynamite.

#97 DrChill

DrChill

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I agree slater could be a great 3 line center pickup

10 to 1 Gillis goes after Jim Slater. Canucks are obviously in need of a 3rd line centre, I don't think they re-sign Pahlsson after the playoff debacle.

Gillis loves advanced stats, seems to target players with good underlying numbers (I read a good article about this, but can't find it now). Slater is Malhotra/Pahlsson_v2. He's younger (29), cheaper and plays all the hard minutes that Canucks require of their 3rd line centre:
- Starts all shifts in the d-zone - Check
- Plays against opponents top lines - Check
- Physical (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd be 2nd on team in hits) - Check
- Blocks shots (If Slater was a Nuck this yr, he'd lead all forwards in BS) - Check
- Good in faceoff dot (54.4%) - Check
- Can chip in offensively (13G, 8A despite playing with the crap linemates all yr) - Check

Sign Jim Slater - 2 yrs X $3.6M (Gives Schroeder 2 more yrs to develop). Centering Hansen and Higgy, these guys would be dynamite.

#98 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

I bet he wants to stay in Winni :( Reading his twitter, seems like he loves it there. But he would be a rockstar 3rd line centre.

#99 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'd take either him or Nate Thompson (is he UFA too?), both guys looked pretty good at the World Championships

Higgins - Kes - Crabb (also on US team, also UFA)
Burr - Slater - Hansen

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.