The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Better Canucks Team

Ballisticsports.

The better Team  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last year's team had more drive and emotions in their game. That's the only reason why I voted for them.

However, I believe that our players have matured more and guys like Higgins and Hansen have stepped it up a notch in their game. Overall, this year is more of an overall team effort. If only they played with more consistency...

Last year. Torres and Ehrhoff were impact players. Not to mention Tambellini was terribly underrated.

EDIT: I also agree with GinoGinoGino, I'm going to go out and say the Canucks acquire either Weber or Suter this offseason and dump Ballard's fat contract. That will put us over the top next year.

Some of you guys are smoking crack. Last year's team was absolutely better heading into the playoffs. Torres was much more effective than Kassian has been so far (because of his experience), Erhoff gave us a dimension we don't have this year, with his ability to rush the puck, break the other team's defence/trap down, and keep us in the offensive zone (plus he could skate laterally to create open lanes for his shot on the power play), Kesler was having a monster year and had tremendous momentum, and both the twins were healthy. This year, we have no Erhoff or Torres, Kesler is still recovering from his hip surgery, and Daniel's concussion - and the unpredictability of that - creates a huge question mark. Simply put, we were a dominant team last year, and we have dominated very few teams this year. Our margin of error is very small, as we saw on the team's last home stand, when cellar dwellers like Montreal were wiping the floor with us.

BUT, we also saw Kesler and Erhoff crippled by injuries by the time we got to the final last year, and we lost. So, are we better this year? Absolutely not. BUT, if we're luckier and can avoid injuries to our top guys, get Daniel back healthy, and gain some momentum by winning a round or two, we could still win. We're going to need some of the big boys to be upset along the way, though, or the odds are the injuries will pile up and we'll probably run out of gas again the way we did last year. We don't have the offence this year, and still aren't big enough to survive getting pounded by some of the physically bigger teams like St. Louis, Nashville, or Boston, if we get a couple of them in the row. So cross your fingers. It's not always the best team that wins it all. We can be weaker than last year, and still pull it off. There is such a thing as destiny, and perhaps lady luck will favor us. God knows, we've waited long enough for a little divine assistance.

Archived